Joie de Vivre Reviews | Glassdoor

Niki Leondakis

1. "Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chip Conley made it awesome!

Cons

New owners lacked his vision.

"Growing company, new CEO making big changes"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company with the merger of Commune hotels. Opportunity for growth is expanding rapidly.

Cons

Corporate office is going through so many changes which trickles down lack of communication to the hotels. We are not getting answers on a lot of the direction the company is heading, bonus plans changing consistently with lack of communication to external sales departments at the hotels.

3. "Overall I would say Joie de Vivre was a pretty good company to work for."

Former Employee - Bartender in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I would say the best part about working for JDV were the people that work there. The hotel I was working at got purchased by JDV and they came in and made a lot of changes. All in all the changes they made to the hotel were okay. They made some renovations to the F&B outlets of the hotel and brought in a new chef ect.

Cons

While I was working at JDV there was a lot of change going on in upper management which led to an atmosphere of uncertainty amongst employees. With all of the renovations I would have expected to see in increase in business but that was not the case. I feel like JDV could have done a better job marketing and advertising to bring in business.

5. "Sad Changes"

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time

Pros

Was a very happy place to work, truly understood and wanted to cater to customers in a hospitable and fun way.

Cons

Once the company sold, it just went south. Same as all the other management companies now, not true hospitality companies, only trying to make a dollar for real estate investment trusts.

6. "Good Company"

Pros

Cares about employees
    Employees are happy at work

Cons

Management not very knowledgeable at times

7. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere
    Management cares
    Works with scheduling

Cons

Property is older so there are issues with the building

8. "consistant"

I have been working at Joie de Vivre full-time

Pros

great growth opportunity from within

Cons

JDV has lost a lot of its culture with all the merging and re-branding its been going through.

9. "Good Companh"

Pros

Work environment, values, work life balance

Cons

Corporate management not involved if not local to headquarters

10. "Overall a good experience in my career"

I worked at Joie de Vivre full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-If you are hardworking, there is opportunity for advancement.
    -Despite the issues I had with certain people there, my department manager is one of the best managers I've ever had. Received training I will use for the rest of my hospitality career
    -Stayed at many great properties in the company, free!
    -Made many friends and contacts. Referral bonus for getting friends hired

Cons

Politics.
    Too many changes. After the merger with Thompson and Commune, it didn't feel like a small company or a big corporation, it was like an identity crisis.

Advice to Management

Do not hire supervisors who say "I shouldn't have to praise people just for doing their job".

"Times are a Changin'"

Pros

A brand with so much potential to go so far founded on basic principles of good, smart hospitality. A company that values letting its employees be who they are and in turn reflecting the identity of the hotel they work for.

Cons

Over twenty years of successful leadership by Chip Conley and his team have come to an abrupt end. The culture of a company which was frequently recognized as the cornerstone of the success of Joie de Vivre is quickly being dismantled. New leadership is behind the times with Thompson's CEO at the helm. Industry reputation of the new CEO is nothing but negative in this close-knit industry of hospitality professionals.

The progressive attitudes that Chip brought to Joie de Vivre revolutionized the industry. Adopting from principles of profitable and successful established companies and having the daring vision and creativity of a fledgling technology upstart, new leadership doesn't believe in this model for success. Rather, leadership's first concern were that the staff weren't in a suit and tie. The first order of business was demanding business suits for all. No more calling each other by first name either - it's Mr. or Mrs. Such narrow-minded changes for a company with as much potential as Joie de Vivre were the best ideas yet to be offered. As a result, "Out with the new, in with the old" seems to be the way of thinking within the internal workings of the company.

Even hiring decisions are the lowest ranks must be approved by senior leadership who has never met the candidate but is known company-wide for their tirades about why they aren't good enough. Amidst these changes, never was a message given to the company at large about the strategy and direction of the brand. In fact, it doesn't seem that leadership knows what direction its heading in. What will become of the well-respected Joie de Vivre collection has yet to be seen. But one thing is certain - not even Chip himself knows anymore. He has effectively "checked out" of this Hotel California.