Jonathan Adler Enterprises Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Jonathan Adler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lead times can be a bit long and customer service issues are quite common due to this (in 12 reviews)

• Terrible fear based work culture for sales goal and extremely petty passive aggresiveness by upper management (in 10 reviews)

1. "All kidding aside....I truly love my job!"

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you want to go to work every day and roll up your sleeves and make a worthwhile contribution to something bigger than yourself than this is the place for you! Creative, entreprenurial environment, with out of the ordinary product and a very committed staff both in stores and at HQ. Expectations are high but no one at corporate asks you to do anything that they don't do themselves and are always available to assist. No one here "phones it in" starting with Jonathan himself straight through our chain of command. I have a community of colleagues that I can reach out to every day on every topic if needed. I feel that is most unusual in any busy and am grateful for that. I have the supoort I need to do my job.

Cons

We are still a young company that is growing and changing and improving everyday. Because we are a work in progress some things do not go smoothly. That however is a risk one takes when growing a business. The good news is we are open and nimble enough to make the necessary corrections. If you want smooth sailing in a cookie cutter corporate run environment than this may not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

I would like management to consider elevating our design staff by providing unique email addresses and business cards to all designers to be in alignment with the level of high quality work they produce and be consistent with our competitors.

I would also like us to expand our furniture product offerings to include more family friendly options. Even young families want a touch of Modern American Glamour in their lives. Let's include some performance fabrics and frames.

2. "Racist! Prejudice! Harassment!"

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing. Stay Away. Do not join this company. They are a disgusting excuse for a company mainly because of upper management.

Cons

I was being harassed by my store manager and was called names and belittled and degraded. I brought this to the attention of the sorry excuse for HR which is all but one person on that God-forsaken team and my regional manager who did absolutely nothing. My regional manager stated that they wanted me to be open to sitting down with my store manager and regional manager to discuss and try to resolve the situation. They never did! I said I was open to doing that. BS! Two weeks after the regional manager offered that sit-down which never happened, because of the way I was being treated, although I loved the rest of my team, I was forced to resign not too long after being promoted. On a separate note, I think they are racist because sales associates who held the same position had different pay rates. Black associates $14 and white $16. But the $14 associate had a lengthy background in interior design while the other only had apparel. Not only that, the $16/hr associate was making the same amount as their supervisor who was black. What was the point in the supervisor taking on so much more responsibility? This place is disgusting.

Advice to Management

Take harassment claims seriously. If a claim is brought to your attention deal with the situation quickly. Don't leave the victim of harassment in that environment without dealing with it. You have and you will continue to lose valuable members of your teams if you don't.

"Disorganized Company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Portland, OR

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers were the biggest 'pro' there was to this job. The company tends to entice fun, quirky people with bold personalities to work for them.

Cons

Product availability is a huge con, as well as external management (Area Managers and up). Our area manager would always tell us that we needed to be selling more, making higher numbers, etc. However, there was never any product to sell. Products would have no ETA's more often than not and as Sales Associates, we were advised to place the order for clients and tell them "The product may arrive in 3 to 6 months." Meanwhile, most of our clients wanted to take home items that day (This was a HUGE issue with Lighting Clients).
    Pay was also a big Con with this company. Co-workers who had been there much longer than I had never seen raises. We were told at the start of the fiscal year there would be none. New hires with little experience got higher pays than seasoned sales experience just because they asked for it. All this is to say that there is no set 'Starting Salary' bar. They will pay you as little as you let them.
    Customer service with custom furniture was also a hassle. Third party delivery teams would damage items. Headquarters would always tell us to offer our client a 10% reimbursement rather than sending out a replacement or fixing the issue.

Advice to Management

Get product in so your stores can actually sell. Allocate your inventory appropriately - don't send 16/20 pieces of one item to a store that never sells it, the other four to separate stores that never sell it and then leave the stores that DO actually sell the product with no inventory. Work out the kinks at headquarters and work your way down from there. Success starts at the top, your stores can do very little when they are receiving mixed information and feel they have no support. Honestly - there's too many things to list. Put the company on hold, get things together and then maybe try again?

"Sales"

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time

Pros

The benefits are nice, but many other 'high-end' luxury retailers in this market offer just as much, if not more to their employees.
    You will learn a lot of *bonus skills*, which will look nice on your resume for future jobs.
    Co-workers and clients are interesting and fun.
    The discount is substantial, but the product is relatively shoddy and made in China (super high markup)

Cons

Negotiate your salary well beforehand (they will nickel and dime you) - also do not count on making commission, it RARELY happens and is paltry even if you do.
    Also JA does not provide business cards, personal emails or seated desk areas for employees (you are standing the entire time) - this makes it feel like more of a corporate retail environment as opposed to a company that caters to interior designers and decorators.
    There are currently 36 JA stores across the globe...this is not a SMALL company by any means and unfortunately you will come to find out that the supply has not yet met up with the demand, so expect your clients to be satisfied with (14-16 +) week lead times.
    This brings me to my next point - expect numerous Customer Service Issues...it is rampant throughout the company and even if your client is patient enough to wait for their piece - it most likely will arrive broken (quality control is a major issue) and such a burden for associates to handle.
    With that being said, most clients will opt to shop online or at other high-end retailers that carry the product, WayFair, Lumens, AllModern, Neiman Marcus etc. - they are better equipped to deal with CS issues and also, offer better deals, lead times and shipping costs.
    A lot of favoritism towards people with little to no experience - everyone is stressed out and on edge - do not expect to move up in this company...just look at is as a building block or stepping stone towards something better.
    Oh yeah, expect to do a lot of extra work for no pay by cleaning the entire showroom (vacuuming, sweeping) and moving furniture - (I kid you not, this company is CHEAP).
    You will also be expected to fill out "Web Orders" yourself, because this company is too cheap to hire someone to do that - it completely distracts the sales team from doing their job and is such a burden - it causes so many issues as well.

Advice to Management

The company is obviously floundering. Stop focusing on growth and focus on production (hundreds of thousands of dollars have been lost because of your ridiculous lead times). You will only continue to sell knick-knacks (i.e. things you can take HOME!) Be more competitive in your promotions - 20% off just doesn't cut it anymore in this market - re-evaluate your company strategy and where you stand in the home decor market.
    Also stop expecting store employees to figure out and plan a monthly events - we have enough on our plates as it is - please allocate this task to the marketing team.
    Lastly, I know it will never happen, but if by some miracle you could please update your "POS" system - it's so shameful telling a client they will receive their refund via a check in the mail.

"So far so good!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time

Pros

-Creative and talented people on the team, both corporate and field
    -Micromanaging is a thing of the past, the DM is all about letting managers do their job and providing support. You are your own shopkeeper and you have the ability to have a say in how you run your business
    -WORK LIFE BALANCE! I can't stress this enough, they CARE about their people! They value your time and you don't feel penalized for taking time off
    -You'll learn a lot of new skills that will stretch your creativeness
    -Interesting and fun clientele
    -The culture is still very much "small town"'ish, you know everyone's name and it's a much smaller team running the show. It's impressive to see how multifaceted and skilled our corporate team is. They're literally juggling a million things at once but somehow manage to keep their cool.
    -Their benefits are insane... in a great way! $10 for medical $12 for dental.... that's $40 a month folks.... unheard of! And gym reimbursement up to $600 a year
    -I GET TO WORK FOR JONATHAN ADLER- I mean, that's a pro all in itself.

Cons

Like any business that is growing, it has its road bumps BUT nothing that is making me "run for the hills". I really feel like anyone who's worked in REAL retail would agree that this job is amazing compared to some of the work conditions other retailers put you through.

-Lead times can be a bit long and customer service issues are quite common due to this. A solution for this is around the corner so we're all anxiously awaiting
    -The POS system can be a bit layered which can make things more complicated and time consuming than they need to be
    -This is a luxury environment, with that, we recognize the fact that these items do run at a higher price. The employee discount doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to outfit your new home in JA furnishings (as much as we are all dying to.)
    -Because we are smaller than most retailers we really do have to be mindful of budget, every penny counts

Advice to Management

Once the supply matches the demand and lead times are brought down I'm certain we'll see an increase in performance and ROI. We are a quirky company but it's something so wonderful and worth protecting. The abundance of CSI's is a little concerning, let's work collectively to fix that! I'd like to see the focus on production increased and in store training dialed in.

"This place is a nightmare - Avoid at all costs!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time

Pros

Honestly, very few positives. Decent employee discount (50%), but the merchandise is still incredibly expensive. Soho is a good location to work in.

Cons

Easily the most awful place I've ever worked. In general, the company lacks adequate leadership and treats people (customers, suppliers and employees) horribly. Some specific comments:
    - Leadership: Jonathan is the CEO and makes decision based on what he thinks is best, not what's best for the company or the customer. The President is a fool who doesn't do much of anything. He is proud to call himself a "hands-off manager", but that just means he doesn't make decisions and stays holed up in his office all day.
    - Lack of Strategy: There is literally no strategy that dictates how decisions are made. Business not doing well? Let's do more promotions. We need to cut costs? Let's fire the cleaning lady (true story). Need to do layoffs? Let's get rid of the employees who are actually driving change (like the heads of Operations and eCommerce) and keep those employees who are subpar but show loyalty (like the "CTO" who is really a self-absorbed glorified IT guy but is bffs with Jonathan).
    - People: The company doesn't pay its suppliers, forcing employees to switch vendors frequently. Customer policies are inflexible and outdated. And they treat their employees like dirt. Pay is extremely low, absolutely no concept of recognition or celebration (managers don't even have discretionary budget to do anything for their teams), and the culture of the office is unfriendly and encourages cliques (like the Marketing team).

Advice to Management

Advice to the PE firm that continues to invest in the company: look at the leaders in this company closely. Get rid of the president. Bring in fresh talent. Treat people better. This is why the company is declining rapidly.

"Fun environment"

Pros

Fun, cheerful environment and employees are passionate about the product

Cons

Slight disorganization of inventory and outdated register systems

8. "Average"

Pros

Fun product and good discounts.

Cons

Not good compensation. No commission. Don't expect a high salary...

"You're Better Than This Place"

Former Employee - Retail in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Retail in New York, NY

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount makes things expensive rather than un-affordable. The clients are generally interesting and fun people.

Cons

I've seen some terrible, unjust things happen here on a regular basis. At the risk of writing the longest "Cons" section in the life of Glassdoor., I'll just say this: This place has a notorious revolving door, noticed and actually commented on by clients regularly. The general management is absolutely corrupt.

The employees who have stood it out longer than 3-5 months stayed there to pay the bills while they actively look for positive, fair, rewarding career situations (and find them, because they truly are passionate about design). That, or they are manipulated with the possibility of promotion, which after months, ends up being a store transfer offer with a $1 raise. Not a single person there (and there were many) who I've spoken to has had and overall positive experience the entire 1-2 years I stuck it out.

Advice to Management

***Do not prompt current employees to write reviews in order to offset the string of terrible ones you've accumulated. You've made your bed. Try resolving them instead.***

"Run for the hills!"

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Jonathan Adler Enterprises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Generous discount, employees are fun to work with, carries 3rd party artwork, lighting is still pretty popular popular in the interior design world.

Cons

Hostile work environment from executives down to store management. Expansion is favored over staff retention. Dated merchandise. Pitched to staff as luxury retail. Doesn't offer ANY luxury services to clients ie coffee/tea, champagne, private shopping opportunities in store. Isn't recognized in the luxury industry as a luxury brand. They do offer in-home consultations but clients are often times confused by this and see it as an opportunity to skip out on hiring an interior designer. Goes on completely unregulated by corporate. A TON of work for very little compensation. If you're salaried, you're required to work an addition day a week with no compensation during holidays (you agree in your employment contract). If you're a salesperson, you're given only hourly plus a bonus on custom made furniture ($25 per upholstered item)

Advice to Management

If you're selling $100 gift shop items all day, it's not a luxury store. Sorry.