Jones|Carter Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bob Aylward

Pros
  • The people are great, the new office location is wonderful, and working half day Fridays is great (in 5 reviews)

• The compensation is very competitive, benefits are good and 401k participation is very good (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No diversity in upper-management (in 3 reviews)

• Lack of communication down from management (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Honesty, Integrity and Leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Jones|Carter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are growing. We have a solid financial forecast for 2016, another record year. Fantastic backlog, fantastic clients, fantastic business development pipeline, and fantastic employees. Our leadership, our integrity, and our honesty towards our employees and client, is and always has been first class. We re-branded a couple years back, re-organized to a Practice Based firm with support services serving all of the practices firm wide. This Practice based organization has allowed employees the opportunity to grow in their careers by moving to another geography to expand a particular Practice. It also allows us to hire highly coveted staff in markets where they live and stand up a department or division around them, if they choose to stay in that market for family or other personal reasons.

Our firm has some of the best benefits in the industry.

401k - 50% match on first 6% of your salary contributed and this match occurs per pay period and we have historically contributed profit sharing after we annually audit and close our books.

Jones & Carter University (JCU) - our training program is second to none. EIT's are trained in courses that take the book smart stuff they learned in school and shows them the best way to deploy it on construction plans!

PE's are able to achieve their required PDH's in house during the lunchtime sessions while eating food provided by the training staff. (Sandwiches to pizza to fajitas)

The four and a half day work week is awesome to be able to get out of town early on Friday's. But make no mistake about it, we like to work and we like to have fun.
    After hours stuff:
    Bowling, softball, pedal party, MS 150 Bike Ride and in the Houston Market, touring all the local craft breweries (after work)! Oh and a group went to the Escape Room and set a record on escaping (duh, we're Engineers)

Cons

The biggest challenge with any Engineering firm in Texas is hiring good people. Another challenge is knowing that firms from across America understand that Texas is a huge growth market for them, thus tightening the labor market even further. TxDOT has told us that 5-7 firms submit quals to them on a weekly basis. These out of state firms are thieves and poachers of staff.

Advice to Management

Go long on the Texas Market.

Jun 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Forecasts for continued financial growth and success are even higher in 2017. We are working hard to attract and retain our great clients and people -- and, it's showing! ... More

"Jones|Carter is a solid and stable company"

Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Jones|Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are many opportunities for career advancement with various offices, departments and divisions. The company does a broad range of work, so people looking to join the firm can find their best fit, and current young staff seeking diversification can find new learning opportunities. The compensation is very competitive, benefits are good and 401k participation is very good. The company and management is very supportive and engaging with all offices and new markets. I have worked for several firms previously, and I can say this company has many good things going for it.

Cons

Jones|Carter has similar cons to any firm of this size, ie sometimes slow to move, procedures, etc

Advice to Management

It seems like the changes made over the last couple years are all positive and taking the company in the right direction. Keep staying aggressive in our staff hiring so that the company can continue its growth. Make sure new production staff gets the training they need to keep us strong.

Jun 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. Positive, manageable change is something we are keenly focused on for our clients and our people. To help ensure that, we are constantly looking at ways to improve our ... More

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Jones|Carter full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This is my third company to work for since college, Company leadership is very accesible and operates in a very transparent manner. Full financial disclosure and regular letters from the CEO arrive at home providing the family with a sense of security and knowledge that JonesCarter has a bright future in Texas.
    Half day fridays are also a game changer for your personal life. Great pay and benefits including a 401k matching plan that is rare in tbe industry.

Cons

A large workload often requires overtime work which is good because of overtime pay, bad because it takes away from personal time.

Advice to Management

Continue to promote the current culture. Invest in more company activities that involve giving back to the community & health and fitness. How about a corporate gym membership or 50% matching gym fees.

Jun 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We are currently working with our healthcare providers in designing an overall wellness program and will be rolling out some new things soon! A few of our offices do have ... More

"Inspector"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Jones|Carter full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good when it doesn't rain. Good people to work with

Cons

No pay for rainouts, not a lot of time for vacation

Jun 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. While we do not pay our hourly field employees for time they do not work, we do our best to help them make up lost work time caused by inclement weather.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Surveyor in College Station, TX
    Current Employee - Project Surveyor in College Station, TX

I have been working at Jones|Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and for, great benefits, company golf tounaments,

Cons

Could use a little more training in specific items.

Advice to Management

Get marketing put us on Google!

Jun 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your positive review. Spread the word!

"Party Chief Survey"

Former Employee - Surveyor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Surveyor in Houston, TX

I worked at Jones|Carter full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Health insurance paid by employer, Boots and work clothing provided, overtime

Cons

Project managers are very demanding, You are constantly being monitered in field with gps, projects often underbid and you are expected to finish work in unrealistic time, raises are small and very gradual, friday holidays are only counted as 4 hours

Jun 6, 2017 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you for your review. We continue to work towards greater collaboration between our groups and to ensure parity in performance against our practices and geographies. Since the majority of ... More

"Unhappy employees in some sort of alternate universe"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Not really sure where all the negative comments are coming from regarding Bob. Clearly, unhappy and underperforming employees don't want to be accountable for their lack of performance. In the last couple of years:

far improved technology
    new, updated office space
    review of operations; increased efficiencies
    improved training, including leadership training

I think people forget that Jones & Carter is a for profit company. I love it here, more than ever!

Cons

Communications from the practice leader could improve

Advice to Management

Stay the course; change takes time and certain people don't like it.

"Senior Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Company is growing which means great opportunities for staff.
    Working on becoming leaner.
    Rewards employees for outstanding performance.

Cons

Typical growing pains. The company is handling them well, but sometimes growth can be difficult.
    Work is in Texas only. For now...

Advice to Management

Continue to watch profitability and adjust staffing as required. Keep in mind what got us here but don't be afraid to make changes to continue to grow.

"Like watching a train wreck."

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Jones|Carter full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Used to be a great company. Half day Fridays. Decent pay and benefits. Used to have great people leading and wonderful staff.

Cons

Lack of communication with employees. Dumping people/entire departments through layoffs and others walking out. It is know internally that the CEO, Bob, dumped (outsourced) an entire department just so he could bring in his golf buddy/personal friend from Maryland (where he came from) to run that particular department with his Managed Services Company. I am appalled at the blatant conflict of interest and poor ethics of this CEO. When people found out,that is when the walk outs started.

Advice to Management

Dump the CEO and take back J&C. We need someone that cares for the people, not a "leader" that is in it for himself. And Quit having the negative but true reviews removed from this site just to keep your ratings from hitting the bottom. I see many that are no longer here. The truth hurts.

"Changes hurting company"

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Jones|Carter (More than a year)

Pros

There are opportunities for engineers to learn

Cons

Lack of communication down from management

Advice to Management

don't keep employees in the dark