Jones Day Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Jones Day Managing Partner Stephen J. Brogan
Stephen J. Brogan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great People Great Location Hours are goods compared other biglaw" (in 8 reviews)

• "Civil Work Environment; Great Benefits; Beautiful and Well-Maintained Working Space; Realistic Hours and Expectations" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can get out of hand at times" (in 11 reviews)

• "Long hours and unreasonable timing demands" (in 10 reviews)

1. "Great culture and atmosphere to succeed"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Jones Day full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

wonderful people, collaborative work environment, opportunity to take ownership of projects

Cons

billable hours can be difficult to meet, lack of administrative support

2. "Positive Work Environment"

I have been working at Jones Day full-time

Pros

Transparent management and expectations, want you to succeed

Cons

Hard to sit at a desk all day doing the same thing!

3. "Staff"

Pros

Great staff and good benefits

Cons

There are no bonuses for staff.

"Really have to agree with the biller in Cleveland..."

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Jones Day full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Having the name Jones Day on my resume got me my current job. Great stepping stone. Excellent retirement plan. I believe it is the highest percentage match I have ever seen or heard of. Everyone gets a nice Herman Miller Aeron chair.

Cons

Ditto what Cleveland biller said. I don’t want to go into my experience but I will say that my last year and a half was miserable but I stayed just over three years in order to get vested and take my retirement with me. Since there are no bonuses given I was not going to give up the portion they contributed to my retirement. Under paid, over worked, just a number. It is not “One Firm Worldwide”. Paying to wear jeans on Friday for one month of the year does not build morale.

Advice to Management

The billing department is the key to getting paid all the millions you make as a company. I believe that everything that was marketed to us as helpful or as a useful tool really just slowed us down and took away from bringing in money. The billers have several tasks to do that take away from billing. Why aren’t cat codes new matter intake’s job. Not enough support from management and out dated printers at least in the Los Angeles office. For over a year we had been told that they had to make room for it in the budget. Now that they have picked the machine(s)??? it’ll still be some time before they get it(them???). If I had been paid enough I would have brought my own color laser printer from my house in so that I could get my job done. Are those fancy plastic clips really cheaper than paper clips?? Because some of that money could get a printer or two. The HP people pretty much called our printer a dinosaur when they did a walk through.

5. "Family"

I have been working at Jones Day full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is like an extended family after so many years in the same place. The parking is free and easily accessible.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities without further schooling; and the company does not offer tuition reimbursement.

Advice to Management

Things seem to be flowing quite well with our management team. I think things should keep going just how they are.

"Run in the other direction...and fast!!"

Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Billing Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Jones Day full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nothing really but since it’s making me answer this, I guess the gym, although only certain suck ups can leave early to work out.

Cons

management is poor, they will make up things that you supposedly did wrong in order to prevent a salary raise, long hours, bizarre start-finish times with no flexibilty, management exhibits favoritism, have to work nights and weekends, JD does NOT care about the individual—you are only a number here. not family oriented at ALL, meeting after meeting about how many billions they made but no bonuses & you even have to PAY to wear jeans on Fridays—LOL!!!

Advice to Management

try caring about your employees & maybe they will stay. the only reason people stay is bc of the pension.

"It's What You Make It (Staff)"

I have been working at Jones Day full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm in a smaller office (around 50 attorneys) so everyone knows everyone. Easy access to the partners and management when needed. For the most part the attorneys treat the staff with respect.

Cons

Work life balance can get out of hand at times. Pay is decent, but definitely not the best.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your employees.

8. "Billing Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

Cons

Lack of career advancement opportunities

"Do Not Recommend"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Jones Day full-time

Pros

Good name that can open door for other opportunities; exposure to substantive work and early responsibility for associates; global integration; subsidized cafeteria

Cons

Lack of any of positive culture; some very difficult partners (depends on practice group but you will be miserable FAST) - there is a reason for the high attrition rate; firm has very conservative, traditional mentality and can feel behind the times; very little attention to associate development; no associate or women's committees and does not seem committed to women's issues (women's health coverage does not match peer firms); expensive benefits; does not invest in IT or otherwise provide tools facilitate to attorney productivity despite the expectation to be available 24/7; compensation less than peer firms due to no-bonus structure; firm nickel and dimes associates on costs that most peer firms would absorb

If you have the option to work here, you probably have other options - take those instead. Hiring is a bait and switch.

Advice to Management

Upgrade salaries/benefits to match peer firms; develop committees for women, minorities, and associates; manage partners that terrorize associates

"Associate"

I worked at Jones Day full-time

Pros

Jones Day is a well-oiled machine with a good reputation in the industry and many large international clients. Its Business and Tort Litigation Practice is quite strong.

Cons

Partners did not have enough work to give to associates; training of newer associates was haphazard; many of the assigned tasks could have been done by support staff.

Advice to Management

Spend more time mentoring new associates; give the mechanical tasks to support staff; incentivize partners to get new business.