Jones, Edmunds & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick Ferreira

"Proud to be apart of the Jones Edmunds family"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Jones, Edmunds & Associates (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Jones Edmunds for 2 1/2 years and within that time frame this company has showed me what knowledge, integrity and service is all about. I have grown with Jones Edmunds and i have seen the success and motivation of all of my colleagues around me. It is a wonderful place to work and I am proud to be apart of the Jones Edmunds family.

Cons

Sometimes there are better processes instead of just sticking to what were use to.

2. "Some Depts Amazing, Some Depts Need Work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Jones, Edmunds & Associates part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, smart people, strong support with IT and document production resources. Pretty much everyone is kind and respectful. Upper management is willing to listen to you. Flexibility to continue your education while working. Work hours are flexible. No micromanagement, very individualized work environment. So much work, you can pretty much decide what you will do each day.

Cons

Production staff are either rushed or have little to do.

Advice to Management

Check what is already scheduled before signing contracts to deliver to the next client on an unreasonable schedule. Start implementing the advice of long tenured staff, they have great ideas.

"Great People, Okay Place to Work"

Current Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Proposal Coordinator in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Jones, Edmunds & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Jones Edmunds is filled with a lot of people that care a lot about their jobs and are willing to go the extra mile to make a difference. I think that most of the people were very nice and easy to work with despite the high-stress environment. If you have the right supervisor, it can be a good place to get a start in your career.

I was offered two weeks of paid vacation and one week of sick time. I also received overtime. It was nice, because longer hours (40+) were status quo.

Cons

There are little to no opportunities for personal growth or advancement for non-technical staff. It definitely lead to a lack of morale for me (and I'd assume countless others). When this issue was brought up with HR it basically boiled down to the fact that the technical staff were more important in the overall scheme of things, and I think that reflects in the turnover of non-technical staff.

Leadership was really hit-or-miss. Several people in upper management were very helpful and easy to work with while others were outright disrespectful at times. It was very hard to navigate the waters for trying to have a professional relationship with a lot of people, and it seems like bringing this issue to the attention to HR (exit interviews, etc.) or other supervisors does absolutely nothing. Lower peons were often thrown under the bus when things took a wrong turn.

Company growth is definitely not moving up. There were layoffs a couple of months before I left.

Advice to Management

Hold people in upper management accountable for their actions. Employees lower on the totem pole often take the heat for something that was out of our hands, and it makes people feel undervalued in that environment. It's nice that you try to be a champion for employees, but it seems very superficial when non-technical staff really don't have any opportunities for advancement or professional growth.

"Solid company with great people."

Former Employee - Construction Project Coordinator in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Construction Project Coordinator in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Jones, Edmunds & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Very talented, intelligent people that create a great working environment. There is truly a "family" atmosphere here. Everyone I interacted with was always friendly to me.
    - Variety of projects to work on and areas to get involved.
    - Most managers and executive staff have an open-door policy, and most are very approachable.
    - Excellent benefits, which the company improved upon while I was there (better vacation accrual and workplace flexibility). They often use anonymous employee surveys to gauge satisfaction; the updated vacation accrual/flexibility policy was a direct result of one of these surveys.
    - The company has been around a long time and has built longstanding relationships with municipalities throughout Florida.
    - Most employees really internalize the motto: Integrity, Knowledge, Service.
    - Monthly events, like socials, popcorn/ice cream breaks, employee appreciation week, etc., and tailgates for all Gator home games and the UGA game in Jacksonville.
    - The company made it through the recession and is now growing; it is a good time to get involved, and I think the firm will be very successful in the upcoming years.

Cons

- Very little (if any) room for long-term growth for support staff (i.e., anyone who is not an engineer).
    - Communication could be improved.

Advice to Management

At times, it feels like there are too many managers (i.e., approvals for certain things have to go through several levels of higher-ups). Senior managers/executives should place more trust is those beneath them. Also, open up leadership development to all employees (not just engineers), and find ways to promote non-engineers so that good talent isn't lost to other companies that will.

"Great Atmosphere, Enjoy Working Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Jones, Edmunds & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management communicates very well with staff, staff development is excellent, coworkers are very professional and easy to get along with.

Cons

I really can't think of a con. So far its been a great place to work. I would like to point out that when I was being interviewed and considering the position I have now, I read some of the negative reviews from the past and I was concerned about accepting the offer. Now that I'm here, I'm glad I didn't let them influence my decision to come to work here. It has been a great experience. My only guess is that when the economy contracted, jobs may have been cut, and that's where the bad reviews come from. I've experienced nothing like that and we are now in an expansion phase, with new hires each month.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Your positive attitudes and attention to the needs of the staff really help.

6. "Great People, Great Industry"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Gainesville, FL
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Jones, Edmunds & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with a highly dedicated group of individuals on exciting projects that make America (Florida) run.

Cons

Stress levels can run high during crunch time.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the staff and continue to improve the organization

"A consulting firm in decline with significant upper management providing guidance and career paths to nowhere."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Jones, Edmunds & Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The home office is a dump, but Gainesville is a nice place to live if you are raising a family or straight out of college. That being said, if you are responsible for a family I would not throw in with this lot. Many of the individual employees are good people, it is the upper management and ownership that are simply lost and playing the role of a consulting engineer.

Cons

From what I've observed, the firm has two primary owners that are not actively involved with the business (sales, marketing, management, or engineering) and appear to have no interest with an internal ownership transition, although they do provide for a "plan" on paper. However, the leadership/management team is so inept I can't blame the owner's for maintaining a controlling interest. This is a dead end firm with a history of layoffs. Your marketing and billability goals will be sky high to cover the overhead.

Advice to Management

Take two weeks off and quit. Seriously, how can you continue to lay off scores of hard working employees (doing the job they've been given) as a result of your inept management? Management and leadership is much more than hiring and firing. The owner's should either sell to an outside firm with competent leadership/management or replace you.

8. "Great People, Great Projects, Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

I have been working at Jones, Edmunds & Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company strives to find out what employees are thinking using not only surveys but quarterly visits to offices by the CEO, Controller and Director, HR. Excellent opportunities for continued professional growth via Jones Edmunds University. The company encourages employees to publish/present with bonuses available for those who are successful. Changes are made regarding polices based on employee feedback. Most recently more flexibility was instituted and a significant increase to the vacation accrual schedule. What used to take 10 years to earn for vacation is now earned in 5 years.

Cons

Sometimes there are peaks and valleys in work load. This can be challenging. Long hours sometimes.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to employees, review policies on a regular basis.

"Horrible place to work. Horrible morale, horrible pay, horrible management."

I have been working at Jones, Edmunds & Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the department managers are pleasant people overall.

Cons

This place is a joke. Upper management does not care about employees as evidenced by lack of raises or bonuses despite glowing annual reviews and the company turning a profit.

Also, it is not the company's policy to give part-time employees raises--ever. So, despite working at this company for years, you will not move up in the pay scale, nor will you receive a bonus or ever receive benefits if you are part-time--or if you change status from full time to part time.

They do not offer competitive salaries, look at other firms before applying here.

The company rates the employees on whether they are a "champion for the company," yet I have never once seen them be a champion for their employees. HR doesn't even spell employees' names correctly on company cakes.

Along with poor treatment, overall office morale is very poor. Nearly every coworker I've had here complained about not only disliking their job, but actually hating it. Management is constantly berated by employees behind their back--and for good reason. Employees constantly complain about other employees being incompetent.

The company's building has mold and mildew on the ceiling tiles from roof leaks, but the company does not repair it; they simply put buckets under the leaks. I've also seen a mouse in the building, along with at least 10 dead cockroaches in the halls and company kitchen.

Additionally, the company was not truthful about the position I accepted. They described it as involving much more responsibility and challenging work than what it ended up being. They also were not truthful with me about the opportunity to move up. I specifically asked in my interview about moving up in the company, they assured me there was opportunity. There was no opportunity, unless someone resigned in actuality.

If I could give this company zero stars, I would. It's that bad. Avoid Jones Edmunds at all costs. I would NOT recommend this company.

"Do not work for Jones Edmunds"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Pros

Some of the people were very nice.

Cons

Management is cut throat, cold-hearted, and rewards mediocrity. Management says it cares about people and they are valued. This is a lie. If you value incompetence, this is your place. Promote yourself to top management and you will get rewarded. Do good work, make a difference, and care and you will not.

Advice to Management

Get rid of poor performers don't promote them, and promote them again, and promote them again. Stop focusing on money. If you truly care about the people who work there financial benefits follow.