Jones International Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glenn R. Jones

1. "Manager"

I have been working at Jones International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Love the people and love my actual work. The school tried to do a lot of great things to give any student the opportunity of getting a degree.

Cons

Lots of changes and continue ups and downs. Closing

2. "Overall Satisfaction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Jones International (More than 3 years)

Pros

Afforded a lot of opportunity to grow and take on responsibility.

Cons

Online proprietary school market changes caused a lot of disruption to the business. Constant changes.

3. "Jones Technology Good Place To Be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Centennial, CO

I worked at Jones International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people ~ great team atmosphere in providing solutions to our internal and external clients.
    Always new projects to work on and people take pride in their work. Work hard and theirs opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Downsizing education business do to weak sales (student retention). Education phone sales is difficult and retention of good employees in that area is tough.

Advice to Management

Continue to work with your associates to create an environment that is positive. View the value of each employee and what they have to offer to the whole.

5. "Average"

Former Employee - Scrum Master in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Scrum Master in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Jones International (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted admission to university colleges

Cons

very less salary and not an IT company

6. "The Good, the bad, the ugly"

Former Employee - Coordinator in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Centennial, CO

I worked at Jones International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits package was affordable, close to many eating establishments, close to the freeway. Free coffee for those who were caffeine junkies, and free food whenever an event was held.

Cons

Intense office politics; cliquish atmosphere, lousy pay, low volume workload. No room for advancement. Weird dress policy. Nine hour workdays translated into taking more than a regular 8 hour day for sick time or vacation day.

Advice to Management

Have some cojones, and stop playing favorites. Encourage more diversity and don't bury your head in the sand when confrontations arise.

7. "Great idea but no focus"

Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Jones International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very intelligent co-workers. Great people to work with and collaborate with. Good work and live balance. Easy location to get to from almost anywhere in Denver.

Cons

None of the companies within Jones International have any focus or direction. It is like a rudderless ship. Great people trying to do great things but senior management is stifling and will not allow for creative action. Salaries are all over the place. They pay men much more than women.

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly. Allow the great people who work there to flourish. Implement creative ideas. It's not 1970 anymore - be progressive. Glenn is a good guy but it's time for him to step down.

8. "High pressure"

Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Centennial, CO
    Former Employee - Admissions Counselor in Centennial, CO

Pros

Positive work environment with a decent break room, gym, nice office space. Different options for schedules. Employee tuition discounts. Good training.

Cons

I came in as an admissions counselor. I was hired through an agency and was told I'd make a certain amount of money, but later realized that the quoted salary was based on what I would make after working there an entire year (I'd get a significant raise once I was hired on in three months time). The starting wage was barely liveable and with zero benefits until I was hired on.

The job itself was fine, except that it was heavy pressure sales. This does not align with their ideas regarding education--and how they weren't concerned with being a diploma mill. It's a good school, and isn't a diploma mill, but their approach to admissions is similar to those diploma mills. I had an abundance of leads that were supposedly viable, but most of the leads I had were old or had been worked to death. I was still expected to make hundreds of calls a day (which meant calling people multiple times a day, every day, for weeks) and close many of these leads each month. I didn't get many fresh, viable leads--so the job was almost impossible to do ethically. People were let go left and right because they didn't meet quotas. The bottom line is that they weren't given the opportunity to develop their leads or the tools to do so.

There was a ton of communication problems between admissions and the academic service department. One prospective student of mine was told completely incorrect information about a single course she was trying to take. It turned out it wasn't available for her degree plan. We only found out when the registrar refused to register her--causing her a ton of stress about whether she would graduate from her home institution. Managers seemed pretty cavalier about fixing the mistake for her.

I'm now a student at this university, and overall, I'm not all that impressed. While the classes are somewhat interesting, it's because of my fellow students. My professor never answers emails and seems to be a bit clueless. She does have a PhD, but she doesn't seem to have much of a command of grammar. She never participates in forum discussion, and I've received zero feedback on assignments (save a numeric grade). Also, I am required to log in multiple time a week--which was a major selling point as an AC...complete lie with this course.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people. Stop training dozens of people only to fire half of them within a month because they didn't immediately produce. This is a relationship business, and your practices contradict your mission/purpose.

9. "good"

Pros

good career and development opportunity

Cons

high work pressure and always work under tight schedule with lots of changes

Advice to Management

more close to the employee