Journeys Reviews | Glassdoor

Journeys Chairman, CEO, & President of Operations, Genesco Robert J. Dennis
Robert J. Dennis

1,035 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 40 % discount on shoes; usually a fun environment (in 125 reviews)

• Also is really laid back and provide ample opportunities to move up in the company (in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay was minimum wage (but it is an entry level job (in 109 reviews)

• The sales goals were the main focus of every shift, which didn't make sense because we weren't paid commission for our sales (in 85 reviews)

1. "Amazing company!"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Journeys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working for journeys for three years. Two years as fulltime and one year as a store manager. I started as part time and worked my way up. The growth opportunies through Journeys are amazing. Like with any company, the management makes or breaks the job. I was lucky enough to have amazing managers that saw my potential and wanted me to thrive. They helped me get where I am today. As a manager, you get a lot of awesome perks. Not only do you get hourly AND commission, you also get monthly bonuses for beating your LY goals and a bunch of other cool stuff that i cant tell you ;) I've gotten the opportunity to meet a lot of awesome people through working for Journeys and be a part of a lot of awesome things, like Warped Tour. I'm excited to continue to grow in the company and also to start in the Attitude that Cares program where we give back to those in need. I love working for Journeys!! Any retail place will have those rough customers but its the good ones that make it all worth it and I feel like journeys always has those amazing customers. Also I love how journeys embraces individuality too, they don't mind if you have tattoos and piercings and brightly colored hair!

Cons

It is difficult to get the sales leads and third keys to really work hard with all the extra responsibilities when their pay stays the same as a part time sales associate. The only thing I wish I could change would be that they get paid a little more hourly as a reward for all their hard work and helping out the Store manager and Co manager. Like other people have stated, a part time sales job here is mainly for high schoolers who dont need the consistent pay in order to eat and pay their bills.... but there are still growth opportunies for those who want a fulltime job or career.

2. "Co-manager"

I worked at Journeys full-time

Pros

Ability to expand in company

Cons

My location was a small store with a huge store traffic and shipments

Advice to Management

Organization

3. "Part Time Sales Associate"

I worked at Journeys part-time

Pros

The only pro to working here was the discount.

Cons

Training: "Here stand at this computer and watch these video, and by watch I mean don't really watch, because they're dumb, but you have to answer the questions." - verbatim what my manager told me my first day. So, overall you don't really learn how to do anything - you only learn by doing.
    Working / Environment: Once you kind of learn the groove the work becomes easier, but knowing how many goals you have to met is overwhelming as the numbers made no sense and had to be memorized. Some days I felt like I did great, but didn't make any goals. Every month you have to fill out a sheet saying why you didn't made you goals and what you can do better on, I felt like a child getting in trouble with my 1st grade teacher. Overall, I feel as though I was never a part of the "family" that my manager claimed the store was. I always felt like the new girl despite watching people get hired after me,; although, most of them ended up quitting.
    Pay: You must meet goals to get paid well.
    Leaving: I left for college with the intent of coming back to the store over breaks, and I told my managers this. When I was at college, my store manager changed and I was removed from both of our work group chats without reason - not very professional.

Advice to Management

Have better training, be more welcoming to new people, talk to your employees.

4. "Not what they try to perceive themselves as"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Journeys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

—A 40% discount on a pretty decent selection of shoes. (Vans, Adidas, New Balance, Puma, Reebok, Fila, Uggs, Timberland, etc.)

Cons

—Unreasonable and unachievable selling “techniques”. Four to the Floor, where you basically assault customers with 4 shoes they didn’t ask for and make them uncomfortable and annoyed just so the company potentially makes more money off more shoes being sold.
    —Horrible pay-to-responsibility ratio. You could spend an entire 4-5 hour shift in the back completely readjusting shelves and unboxing shipment, come out exhausted, and you’ll only be about 28 dollars richer.
    —Expect you to sell a bunch of pairs of their overpriced mediocre socks everyday or if you don’t, you’ll never hear the end of it.
    —The music they play in the store is GOD AWFUL. It isn’t 2004 anymore– nobody wants to hear Punk Rock or Pop Punk.
    —Corporate managers are really shady, aggressive and rude people. Had a district manager that was accused of 4 counts of sexual assault and nothing happened to him.

They try to make it seem like it’s a really relaxed and chilled out environment, but you get written up for resting your feet on chairs, or fired for even sitting down after a 5 hour shift of standing up the entire time.

Advice to Management

Do better?

5. "Part time Sales Associate"

I have been working at Journeys part-time

Pros

Flexible schedules so if something comes up you can take off. If you don't have a problem with talking to people and trying to up-sell then easy job.

Cons

Terrible pay, not many hours, and some co-workers don't do any work.

Advice to Management

Increase either the amount of hours your workers get or increase the pay. Some people can't even pay one bill off the amount of money that is earned.

6. "store manager"

I worked at Journeys full-time

Pros

environment, culture, customers, commission, product

Cons

hours versus pay received is ridiculous

7. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Journeys full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a good environment to work in. You got to listen to good music all day and sell good quality products to customers.

Cons

You can't always please everyone, but you can kill em with kindness!

Advice to Management

Give help when needed.

8. "Decent Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Journeys part-time (More than a year)

Pros

For someone who is just beginning to work, this is a pretty simple job.

Cons

Unless you work full-time, hours are very scarce.
    Managment is very poor; be ready to play favorites with them.

9. "Eh"

I worked at Journeys part-time

Pros

40% Discount once per month
    Easy to learn

Cons

Expected to do more for less. Work at Footlocker.

10. "Manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Metairie, LA

Pros

Fun work environment, great 401k plan, good bonus plan, good commission base jobs for hard working individuals, fast pace, good leaders

Cons

Long hours, no set schedule, no weekends or holidays off, rude customers, part time pay horrible, no money if business is slow

Showing 1,035 of 1,036 reviews