Journeys "minimum wage" Reviews | Glassdoor

Journeys Employee Reviews about "minimum wage"

Updated Jan 13, 2020

2.9
Journeys Chairman, CEO, & President of Operations, Genesco Robert J. Dennis
Robert J. Dennis
Pros
  • "Very fun and laid back environment, 40% discount(in 166 reviews)

• "Usually cool people around and it’s pretty laid back(in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • "minimum wage regardless of how long you’ve been with the company(in 133 reviews)

• "Sales goals (SOPs) are outrageous(in 104 reviews)

Reviews about "minimum wage"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Starter Job"

Former Employee - Sales Lad in Anderson, SC

I worked at Journeys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

discounts on everything in the store.

Cons

Low pay competitive pay ( commission or minimum wage)

Journeys2019-06-25
  2. "Demanding"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun work environment Cool co-workers and managers

Cons

Paid minimum wage of $7.25 Unrealistic sales goals

Journeys2019-12-18

"The Worst Company I've Ever Worked For"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Journeys full-time for more than a year

Pros

40% discount is nice, coworkers are usually cool, dress code is basically non existent

Cons

Everything else... The upper management in this company is made up of under qualified originally teenage hires whose boss thought they were cool at some point and kept moving them up, all a bunch of kids that don't deserve their positions. Proven by the "sales meeting" held every year for top selling managers and everyone above them... basically a 4 day long drinking and cocaine fest paid for by the company and sponsored by big shoe brands sending them all home with tons of swag. Weekly hours minimum for managers is 45, but expect at least 50, more like 60 during holiday. The shifts are 10 hours (minimum) and it's an exciting rarity if you get 2 days off in a week, definitely never ever in a row. As far as pay, expect between 125-150 per week plus a 4% commission on anything you sell. You're expected to bring in almost half of the store sales yourself to meet your goals and keep your job, but you're also expected to complete HOURS of other work every day; daily sending and receiving of shipments, usual managerial stuff, constant re merchandising of the entire store, almost daily inventory management, etc. all while being on the sales floor all day every day and training and evaluating everyone else at all times. The pressure from DMs is overwhelming, and the expectations are unbelievable considering how little training and development you receive. This company is built on exploiting kids who start out wanting to be in a job where they can be themselves and not feel stuck behind a desk. They pride themselves on promoting from within, but that's really just a ploy to keep people around for the least amount of money possible (I made minimum wage as a manager many weeks) because they feel seen by being promoted to positions they aren't ready for and being left to struggle.

Advice to Management

This company needs a complete overhaul. Every part of their business model is greedy and ruins the lives of the people that work SO hard for them, calling them family and then treating them like dirt.

Journeys2020-01-13
  4. "Great first job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Journeys part-time

Pros

The people are great Cool music Great stepping stone into sales

Cons

Minimum wage + "commission" The commission was next to nothing

Advice to Management

Pay sales associates at least $10

Journeys2019-10-23
  5. "Underpaid and dangerous work environment"

I have been working at Journeys

Pros

40% off and okay benefits. Good job if you’re in a high volume store.

Cons

The company has managers work for commission as a way of avoiding raises, so if you make minimum wage on your pay check for a manager position they will just say to sell more. This works at busy locations like when I worked for them in Florida, but the Portland Lloyd center location is deader than dead and found myself making sales goals and still making minimum wage. Also the Lloyd center location is filled with crime and incidents happen there every day. Managers of zumiez, journeys, and vans had all told me they have been assaulted (one with a machete!) ultimately not worth the terrible pay for risking assault and dealing with people literally running out with shoes. The store is disorganized and frustrating to work in.

Journeys2019-10-11
  6. "13th core value should be look/listen why people leave"

Former Employee - Store Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Journeys full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

40% discount Meet new people

Cons

Will get stuck at minimum wage No family life(even if sick, personal matters, or death they will not care) Machine like management. You’re a machine to them, if you seem a little broken you will be replaced in a heart beat

Advice to Management

Listen to why people leave (IE high turnover) and actually take action. There should be no reason why DMs hiring and promoting people is based on personal opinion/feelings toward someone, and advancing people the same way. DMs should operate with professionalism and integrity, not personal vendettas/opinions. Treat management and employees like human beings. Not machines. Minimum wage even for management will not cut it and commission and over-ride should not supplement such low paying jobs

Journeys2019-10-09
  7. "good first job, not a forever job!"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Just for starters, you get 40% off every month & you have a dollar amount balance. My coworkers are super chill, and the managers aren’t always up on you about things. A good atmosphere to be in.

Cons

The pay. For a minimum wage job, you do a lot. During big holidays, people WILL try to steal your sales which is not okay because that’s money you could have earned. The back room can get really messy, and people will not try to help unless they’re told to.

Advice to Management

Don’t pick favorites. Everybody is there to learn, and not everyone will be on the same level when they start. Don’t give somebody else hours that another person could be using to get better like everyone else. Stay on top of things we’re supposed to have done so we don’t fall behind.

Journeys2019-08-05
  8. "Good First Job Or For College Kids"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in North Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours Good place to gain experience

Cons

Not a lot of hours Weird about commission and minimum wage

Journeys2019-08-01
  9. "Too much pressure for minimum wage job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Journeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with are amazing, I always had fun with my coworkers.

Cons

The sales goals and standards of performance are very high for kids in school who are just trying to make some extra money, lots of pressure for a minimum wage job with no opportunities for a raise unless you become a full-time store manager.

Journeys2019-08-07
  10. "Not great"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

40% Discount Theres not much else

Cons

People drop like flies. You start off at minimum wage, and the commission makes no sense. All they hire are teenagers, so the coworkers typically sucked.

Journeys2019-07-28