Journeys "sales goals" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Journeys Employee Reviews about "sales goals"

Updated Dec 22, 2019

2.9
Journeys Chairman, CEO, & President of Operations, Genesco Robert J. Dennis
Robert J. Dennis
Pros
  • "Very fun and laid back environment, 40% discount(in 166 reviews)

• "Usually cool people around and it’s pretty laid back(in 102 reviews)

Cons
  • "minimum wage regardless of how long you’ve been with the company(in 133 reviews)

• "Sales goals (SOPs) are outrageous(in 104 reviews)

Reviews about "sales goals"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Journeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

When I first started, things were difficult because it was my first job but its a great best job. I've learned so much within the 10 months working at Journeys from my co workers. And it doesn't feel like you're work because you get to know your co workers as family. But other than that another pro was the 40 percent discount they had to offer to their employees.

Cons

The sales goals may have been too far stretched but it you are able to be reached if you're doing your job right and paying attention to what the managers tell you.

Advice to Management

More hours.

Journeys2017-11-27
  2. "Okay job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Journeys part-time

Pros

Easy, Manageable, Nice Coworkers and Managers

Cons

High sales goals And Low Pay

Journeys2019-12-22
  3. "Demanding"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun work environment Cool co-workers and managers

Cons

Paid minimum wage of $7.25 Unrealistic sales goals

Journeys2019-12-18
  4. "Good if you have a good manager"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

-laid back people -flexible hours -40% discount

Cons

-if you have a manager that follows corporate procedure it's AWFUL. You will be REQUIRED to bring out 4 pairs of shoes for every pair a customer tries on, you have to meet your sales goal or you will be written up, etc. Can become very toxic very fast.

Journeys2019-12-12
  5. "Underpaid and dangerous work environment"

I have been working at Journeys

Pros

40% off and okay benefits. Good job if you’re in a high volume store.

Cons

The company has managers work for commission as a way of avoiding raises, so if you make minimum wage on your pay check for a manager position they will just say to sell more. This works at busy locations like when I worked for them in Florida, but the Portland Lloyd center location is deader than dead and found myself making sales goals and still making minimum wage. Also the Lloyd center location is filled with crime and incidents happen there every day. Managers of zumiez, journeys, and vans had all told me they have been assaulted (one with a machete!) ultimately not worth the terrible pay for risking assault and dealing with people literally running out with shoes. The store is disorganized and frustrating to work in.

Journeys2019-10-11
  6. "Too much pressure for minimum wage job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Journeys part-time for more than a year

Pros

The people you work with are amazing, I always had fun with my coworkers.

Cons

The sales goals and standards of performance are very high for kids in school who are just trying to make some extra money, lots of pressure for a minimum wage job with no opportunities for a raise unless you become a full-time store manager.

Journeys2019-08-07

"Creating annoyingly aggressive glorified sales associates, NOT Leaders or even managers"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager/Co-Manager

I have been working at Journeys full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fun working environment when on shift with the right people. - Great goal-tracking structure that makes everyone want to be in the green, not red and uses multiple metrics to evaluate the stores performance and individual performance. Gives you a well-rounded view and shows you your strengths and opportunities. HOWEVER, the computer basically does everything for you. You do very little math or critical thinking. I guess that’s a pro, if you wanna be a robot or just aren’t good at/comfortable with math. As a result, I don’t think many managers really even understand this data or how to apply what it’s telling you in a practical way.

Cons

Let’s start with my title. The problem here is that there is way too much focus and push for managers to be the top seller in the stores. I agree, managers should set an example and should always meet or exceed their SOPs/KPIs, but a manager should not be the top seller. You’ve created a culture where managers step all over everyone else to beat their goals and get as much commission as possible, which then in turn causes managers to put even more pressure on themselves because a good portion of your paycheck comes from your sales. You make a very small base pay every week and the rest is commission. On top of that you’re required to work 45hrs a week, for no good reason, other than the fact that they know you’ll make the most money because they know they’ve created a structure where you need to make the most money to pay your bills and keep your job. When managers are so focused on their own goals and commission, when do they have time to truly train and develop their team? If the SM or ASM are the only ones making their goals 140% at that, and the rest of the team is not making it, you DO NOT applaud the managers. This is a huge problem. Especially if they have a high turnover rate. It means the managers are not taking the time to train staff and are in turn blaming them for not making their goals instead of helping them reach their goals. Another problem - since they expect their managers to be the top sellers, most don’t really take breaks and hardly ever leave the floor, even to do any administrative/paperwork. So guess where that happens? At the register; papers, pens and notebooks all over the place with no where for customers to place their things. Also, when the manager is in the middle of something and a customer walks in, you have to drop everything, which you should, but now your register is a mess and you’re struggling to get your thoughts together and focus on the customer rather than the task you so desperately wanted to finish. Wouldn’t it be better to just schedule yourself (managers) an hour or 2 a day off the sales floor to focus on your other tasks?? If you can’t trust your team without you for a couple hours, then let me reiterate, you are not a good manager or leader. I could go on, but hopefully you get the point. I’ve been with Journeys for only a month now and I’ve already got another job. Having other SM experience behind me, it only took me 2 weeks to see the problem and I immediately knew it wasn’t a good fit for me. Oh, I almost forgot! 90% of my training, if you can even call it that, was done by watching videos on the computer (at the register) and then filling in a booklet/training manual as I went. Only about 10% of my “training” was done by the SM. I am a human being, I need hands on, I need to talk to someone and ask questions. Even the parts we were supposed to do together were pushed back or glazed over. I hesitate to say it but for jobseekers, I think this is an OK place to start your management career, but do not get stuck here. Learn what you can and move on. Soak up all the tools they use for goal tracking, because that will definitely come in handy, especially if you end up somewhere where you have to do the math and make up sales goals and KPI goals yourself. If you have management experience, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Advice to Management

You need to train your managers on how to be leaders and not just glorified sales associates. Look for a store/team where everyone is making their goals and are genuinely happy with their jobs (not afraid of their boss or of being fired). Find out what the managers are doing there and then duplicate it. You may not be able to find this, so I’d just stick with the first part. Start training on leadership. Change your pay structure. I think you’d be better off with hourly pay, eliminating personal commission and just giving a nice percentage of commission on top of the stores sales. This will encourage teamwork. Also, encourage your managers to take breaks! They are people too, not robots and everyone needs time to recharge.

Journeys2019-06-25
  8. "Was a fun and easy job for the most part. There were stressful times but it was mostly pretty easy, especially weekdays."

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Arlington, TX

I worked at Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

Discount, meeting new people, and helping people find the perfect shoes

Cons

Sometimes you have to handle multiple customers at once and it gets really stressful. Closing takes a forever, especially on days when you have to mop. You also have sales goals that are sometimes very unrealistic, especially when there’s 10+ employees on the sales floor at the same time.

Advice to Management

Don’t schedule all your employees for the same day. It makes it impossible for everyone to make their sales goals.

Journeys2019-01-31
  9. "Previous flagship store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Journeys full-time for more than a year

Pros

Involvement with my team at the store level Sales goals and rewards for performance Discount

Cons

-District manager was extremely sexist/biased -Regional manager was extremely judgmental -“Expectation“ of management was to wear business casual... we sold shoes and “tattooed and employed” t-shirt’s !!! -Advice to district team and above was in one ear and out the other

Advice to Management

-Listen to your people -Take suggestions, they’re on the frontlines each day -irreverence; understand each employee is unique and who they are and what they look like will not stop them from doing a great job

Journeys2019-03-04
  10. "save yourself (and your back) the trouble"

I worked at Journeys part-time for less than a year

Pros

40% off discount, flexible scheduling

Cons

bad training, push sales, a lot of sales goals, managers hate their lives

Advice to Management

stop focusing so much on making money and focus on the people you're trying to sell to. make connections with them instead of their wallets. pushy sales tactics are the reason for so many sales goals, it;s because you're driving everyone away.

Journeys2019-02-25