Joyce Meyer Ministries Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Learning Environment"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at JMM has taught me how to consider people and projects from multiple angles. The product managers have instilled within me solid project principles that have helped me be more productive. The leadership is has shown me grace on several occasions, and is more than likely to hear my thoughts and concerns on a regular basis.

Cons

The interviewing process is very rigorous, and could be intimidating to someone not as mature in ministry in general. There are times when the size of the ministry demands work that feels like a "grueling pace." If you have not had ministry experience before, the level of sacrifice required at times to keep up could be exhausting.

Advice to Management

Continue to cast vision to the employees. Also, the achievers program is one of my favorite JMM perks.

Mar 4, 2016 – HR Manager

Good to hear your input. It's helpful to know the interviewing process can be a little intimidating. We certainly don't want it to be overwhelming but we do want it to be rigorous. Your input is... More

"What a Shame for a Missed Opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

100% Medical Insurance
    On-Site Security
    Great Prayer Teams
    Great Co-Workers

Cons

No Advancement Opportunities
    Low Morale in the Call Center/Account Management Teams
    Leadership Team Lacking in Communication, and People Skills
    Poor Execution of Launching New Procedures and Protocols
    Cliques within the Leadership Team Form Poor Opinions of Employees
    Instead of Helping Their Staff - They Shoot Their Own Wounded (so to speak)
    Don't Expect to See Daniel Meyer - He's a rare sight

Advice to Management

I am sure that Joyce is a great person. Working for her people - not so much. Management, you may not take this seriously and I honestly don't expect you to. If you didn't listen when this employee was employed with you, you sure won't listen now that they are not.

However, for those who read this, until the ministry takes an honest look upon itself as a company and ministry, you can expect the same rigmarole and the same backstabbing within the company. You can expect the same treatment of good, hardworking people with the same turn out - termination and turnovers. It is truly a shame that you missed many great opportunities with excellent employees growing within this ministry.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Rita Mae Brown

"Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fenton, MO

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It paid a fair wage and benefits were good.

Cons

You must "drink the cool aid". Hypocrisy and judgment rampant. Not a good place for the soul. You will lose your religion fast. Not truly a ministry...it is a business that markets and sells God.

Advice to Management

Save yourself and your soul and get out now.

Mar 4, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback. The mission of Joyce Meyer Ministries is to Share Christ - Love People. We minister to people worldwide through the many outreaches we support. The St. Louis Dream Center... More

"This is a very positive and uplifting work environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries (More than a year)

Pros

Back when I first applied for my job here, I researched the JMM organization thoroughly. I read all of the employment reviews on this and one other site, so my eyes were open going in. I knew it wasn’t going to be a perfect experience. The place I worked prior to JMM was very hostile, so I figured JMM would not be anywhere near as bad as what I had known before.

My instincts were correct.

The department I worked in at JMM was the BEST work atmosphere I’ve ever experienced. The staff are genuine, brilliant, creative, caring, compassionate, down-to-earth “real” people.
    Plus…
    There are Chick-Fil-A days. You get to wear jeans every day. We had Starbucks runs. There are brainstorm sessions that encourage crazy, out-of-the-box thinking, and a lot of laughter. I saw genuinely happy employees. We had potluck “food days” each month. And best of all, there was the comfort of being encouraged and prayed with every week.

From the moment I arrived, everyone was welcoming, hospitable, helpful and kind. These folks were not self centered, nor did they give off vibes that they felt threatened by a new person. They were all vision driven and mission oriented, and that was a very refreshing change of pace from where I came from.

During my time at JMM, we experienced leadership turnover and a lot of change. These transitions happened seamlessly and were void of any significant problems. Communication was excellent. And my manager was one of the most skilled, professional and capable people I’ve ever had the privilege of working for.

I thoroughly enjoyed my job at JMM and loved the people I worked with even more so. What they have there is very, very special.

Cons

There are no negatives that were really worth bringing attention to from what I experienced.

Advice to Management

I love the ELEVATE platform that we use to review, praise and encourage our peers, but I have one suggestion for improvement. There should be some way to “rate the boss”, so that each employee can submit constructive feedback on how well their supervisor, manager, director, C-suite person, etc. is doing.

BUT...employees should be able to do this anonymously, so that whatever they write cannot be construed as “pandering”.

The best way to see how well a manager is doing is to allow subordinates to give honest and constructive feedback and praise without fear of retribution. This way, you’ll know from their perspective how well your leadership leads. And then you're able to use that data as a tool for professional and organizational growth and improvement. Just a suggestion.

Mar 4, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for your suggestion. That is a great idea and we will look into it.

"copywriter"

Former Employee - Module Lead in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Module Lead in Fenton, MO

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

creative work environment. Forward thinking for a Christian ministry. Good people. Up to date on trends in marketing and design. Young, energetic atmosphere.

Cons

You must "drink the koolaide", i.e., be 1000 percent behind Joyce's philosophies. Dissent is not tolerated. Lots of ancient cliques in management. Nepotism runs rampant. Somewhat controlling environment--don't ask Joyce a question that hasn't been pre-approved. People placed in senior editorial positions who have NO editorial experience. Because they are a Christian non-profit, they don't have to play by the rules of regular businesses. They don't pay unemployment compensation. If HR makes you a promise, be sure to get it in writing. "Mentoring" might mean religious instruction, i.e., adopt Joyce's charismatic Christianity.

Advice to Management

Be willing to put new blood in management positions. Break free of the "in" group mentality. Hire people who are qualified for positions, not just because they are popular.

Mar 7, 2016 – HR Manager

The ministry is filled with many different people and we all have varied opinions. One of the many things the ministry believes in is that there is strength found in appreciating our differences... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent benefits package
    - Great work environment
    - Great work-life balance
    - Good Job Security
    - Cohesive and excited management team
    - Genuine care for employees

Cons

- Little room for advancement within the organization

"Irregularities that are actually regular"

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Pros include Excellent People, Excellent Facility, Top Flight Security. I can't express how excellent the people of JMM are. When I say this I am speaking of the working class, since there is a severe case of classicism which I will cover later.

The facilities are also top-notch. The meticulous care to the outside grounds and the care taken to keep the interior clean, bright and modern is excellent.

The security is also one of the world's best. No where have I ever felt more safe and more monitored. I know that there will be no funny business going on as everyone is watched more than the NSA watches the American public.

Cons

So the Cons.

There is a severe form of classicism that goes on here that made it extremely difficult to work. In most places it has always been pushed as best tool for the job, best people for the job. This is not the case here. Employee classicism is strong here. There isn't a form of team across the board. When it comes to equipment management gets the best equipment and the ability to have a flexible work schedule. The working class does not get this. Getting hardware that makes it easy to do the job is held back because it wouldn't look right. Now it might sound petty, and you are right it is. But it means a lot when the people doing the work get what they need. If it is a cost reason for this not occurring that's one thing. But that is not the case here.

Management, while many of the managers are very good at JMM. There are a few that make it extremely difficult to work. As alluded to in other reviews the PMO department was difficult. In many meetings things would feel combative. Even when ideas are being presented to do things differently it always felt like a fight. Over time this caused a lot of poor decisions to be made as people didn't have the energy to support their idea anymore.

Trust: the lack of trust in employees to make appropriate decisions is another major con. The lack of trust or confidence in employee decision making makes it extremely frustrating to work here. There have been many nights where I went home wondering why I even bother. Been tasked with many highly visible projects and at the end of the day was forced to go with a way that would not be successful. When the project failed or stalled, I would then be the recipient of the blame. So i guess in a sense the employees are trusted to receive the blame for failure.

Absentee CEO: This one is really odd. The CEO of the ministry is highly invisible which doesn't seem to fit for an organization of this size. It gives a feel of not caring. This might be reality as with the amount of turn-over and failed projects, there aren't a lot of macro changes nor is there a lot of communication received down stream from the CEO,

Benefits: While many speak highly of the healthcare benefits, the rest are really rotten. There is no consistency with how simple things like PTO are to be managed. Many departments require that all salaried individuals take PTO for any Doctor's appointments. This is especially odd when there is mandatory overtime put in effect sometimes to complete projects. There is rarely grace given for employees when it does not work out in the ministry's favor. So yes, while you may have healthcare benefits, in a lot times you can't use it since you might not have the PTO for it or you are on a project which since it was poorly managed no longer has the time for you to take care of yourself.

I'll also mention HR in that while the people are great, they are handcuffed to make changes it appears. All the posts I've seen here reviewing JMM are not exaggerations as I've witnessed the behaviors first hand.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, remove the culture of classicism.

Jul 9, 2015 – Senior Recruiter

At Joyce Meyer Ministries we believe in supporting employees to do their job with excellence and supporting them in their personal growth. Our Exit Interviews consistently reflect that most... More

"Great organization, dishonest IT management"

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission at JMM was a driving force through difficult projects. It helped me stay centered and appreciate my work. I loved my coworkers regardless of their department. The facilities and grounds were also top-notch. Both pay and benefits were competitive for the area.

Cons

C-level IT and project management routinely broke trust and mislead us. Management frequently re-worked the bare-minimum project proposals into unsupportable messes. The admins were then blamed for the unworkable solutions and punished with on-call rotations from hell. I also observed dishonorable negotiations between management and multiple vendors (misleading, sharing quoted pricing, etc)
    HR seemed to be powerless to resolve the employee abuse and manipulation, unable to stop the multi-year IT witch hunt that saw IT staff quit or fired, turning over 2 or 3 times in 5 years. We had an amazingly talented team that has been destroyed through scheming. Several of us were transferred to other departments to launch a new website, under the guise of producing a better product by directly with the creatives. IT management let it be known that it was part of a plan to let the creative departments fail so IT could save the day and take back control.
    At the end of the day, everything seemed like a power-struggle.

Advice to Management

Replace IT and project management leadership with effective leadership that will be honest with both JMM leadership and their employees.

Jul 9, 2015 – HR Manager

Your feedback is appreciated. Please know that it is taken seriously and your comments have been forwarded to the Executive Level for review. Joyce Meyer Ministries is dedicated to it's vision of... More

"Good People work herr"

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

100% healthcare, secured property, great coworkers, supportive staff, spiritual atmosphere

Cons

Very limited growth potential, communication breakdown, not as family oriented, focus is more on the world needs than its employees needs at times though may not be intended.

Advice to Management

To improve retention, grow and promote your current employees. Take time to learn about your employees and show them that you truly care about their talent, growth professionally, and their needs personally. By doing this, you will reach even more people for Christ.

Jul 2, 2015 – HR Manager

Thanks! Those are all really great points. We work hard to provide opportunities to grow and enrich the jobs of ministry employees. Thanks for your heart and if you would like to discuss your... More

"I really enjoy working for a ministry with a mission to help others and spread the word of God."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay and benefits, casual Christian Ministry work environment, employee meetings are replaced with prayer time, chapels and core value studies, employees working together toward the mission to help hurting people in the world and spread the gospel.

Cons

Opportunities for career advancement are limited but opportunities for spiritual growth are more prevalent. If you are looking for a high risk, technical savvy place to work, this is not it.

Advice to Management

Increase personal, sick and vacation time.

Apr 8, 2015 – HR Manager

Your opinion matters, thanks for taking the time to share it. The ministry is certainly growing in many ways and the mission to Share Christ-Love People is at the center of what we do. Calculated... More