Joyce Meyer Ministries Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Joyce Meyer Ministries CEO, US Operations Daniel Meyer
Daniel Meyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"This is a very positive and uplifting work environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries (More than a year)

Pros

Back when I first applied for my job here, I researched the JMM organization thoroughly. I read all of the employment reviews on this and one other site, so my eyes were open going in. I knew it wasn’t going to be a perfect experience. The place I worked prior to JMM was very hostile, so I figured JMM would not be anywhere near as bad as what I had known before.

My instincts were correct.

The department I worked in at JMM was the BEST work atmosphere I’ve ever experienced. The staff are genuine, brilliant, creative, caring, compassionate, down-to-earth “real” people.
    Plus…
    There are Chick-Fil-A days. You get to wear jeans every day. We had Starbucks runs. There are brainstorm sessions that encourage crazy, out-of-the-box thinking, and a lot of laughter. I saw genuinely happy employees. We had potluck “food days” each month. And best of all, there was the comfort of being encouraged and prayed with every week.

From the moment I arrived, everyone was welcoming, hospitable, helpful and kind. These folks were not self centered, nor did they give off vibes that they felt threatened by a new person. They were all vision driven and mission oriented, and that was a very refreshing change of pace from where I came from.

During my time at JMM, we experienced leadership turnover and a lot of change. These transitions happened seamlessly and were void of any significant problems. Communication was excellent. And my manager was one of the most skilled, professional and capable people I’ve ever had the privilege of working for.

I thoroughly enjoyed my job at JMM and loved the people I worked with even more so. What they have there is very, very special.

Cons

There are no negatives that were really worth bringing attention to from what I experienced.

Advice to Management

I love the ELEVATE platform that we use to review, praise and encourage our peers, but I have one suggestion for improvement. There should be some way to “rate the boss”, so that each employee can submit constructive feedback on how well their supervisor, manager, director, C-suite person, etc. is doing.

BUT...employees should be able to do this anonymously, so that whatever they write cannot be construed as “pandering”.

The best way to see how well a manager is doing is to allow subordinates to give honest and constructive feedback and praise without fear of retribution. This way, you’ll know from their perspective how well your leadership leads. And then you're able to use that data as a tool for professional and organizational growth and improvement. Just a suggestion.

Mar 4, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for your suggestion. That is a great idea and we will look into it.

2. "Love"

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a family atmosphere, benefits are great, & wellness program

Cons

I don’t have a con

3. "Good job for the right individual"

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission minded, free medical, flexibility

Cons

Pay, executives aren't always in alignment on goals

Advice to Management

Incorporate wfh policy, clearly communicate annual ministry and division goals, model unity at an executive level

4. "Media"

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time

Pros

Awesome folks, the highest level of professionalism and excellence. The collaborative culture is an amazing thing to be a part of. They are churning out some awesome content.

Cons

Not a whole lot of opportunity for advancement.

"Controlling , intimidationg, bullying"

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A general feeling like the ministry did a lot to help especially the hand of hope ministry. Working with some very nice christian people. The health insurance and other benefits were great. Mike Shepard was one person who really showed love and kindness to me throughout my time there. Also Roby Walker was also kind and caring. The day I was let go Roby said he was so sorry and gave me a hug and acted like he really cared. The manager basically gave me a box and told me to get my stuff, go home or to HR. Thanks for your almost twenty years of service now get out.

Cons

Some of the rules and regulations were draconian. Management would intimidate workers with veiled threats of job cuts. If you had a medical issue the management would treat you badly and try to remove you or get you to quit by making you miserable. Everything is about quotas. If you made it you were good but if not you were always looking over your back wonder if you would be laid off. Once you had a disability the manager would be on a personal mission to get rid of you even though you have faithfully served and worked for the ministry for nearly two decades. The CEO never visited our dept or greeted the employees. The ministry did not abide by the rules of the disabilities act in reference to a special accomodation. You would never be allowed to question anything that a supervisor did or said and suggestions would not be considered. I made a suggestion that changed and helped the way our dept. ran. I made it a few years before it was implemented and nothing was said at the time and then later they put my plan into practice and acted like they came up with the idea and I never received any credit for the idea that has helped them do their job easier to this day. Also any moves into a different position were considered lateral moves. There was such an oppressive feel to the place and stress on the employees to make quotas that some would regularly work off the clock to try and get quotas met. We were always told that no one has ever been in trouble or lost a job because not making quotas but i was let go after almost 20 years. The only thing that mattered was quotas nothing else about your almost 20 years of service. We would have mandatory overtime and sometimes you would find out on a thursday that you had to work on saturday or else. Unless you had a life or death situation you had to be there, even though you may have made plans with family or friends months ago. The ministrys needs always had to come first. I was personally the victim of bullying by a fellow co worker for nearly 20 years and when I tried to do something about it I was made to feel like it was my fault probably because this person was part of the travel team and could do no wrong but I still have had to deal with the psychological abuse that this person heaped on me for years. When I knew that i would not be there much longer because of the personal mission of the manager to get rid of me I requested a meeting with Dan Meyer but was not allowed to see him.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and do not belittle, insult or bully people. Be considerate and loving and caring and Christ like with people with disabilities. Act like you care about people more than numbers. If this is a Christ centered ministry act like it. Do not intimidate people, if you have faith all the work will get done in a timely manner and you can have non stressed out employees who will work better because they are not constantly feeling the bruising of an IRON FIST!!!

"What a Shame for a Missed Opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fenton, MO

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

100% Medical Insurance
    On-Site Security
    Great Prayer Teams
    Great Co-Workers

Cons

No Advancement Opportunities
    Low Morale in the Call Center/Account Management Teams
    Leadership Team Lacking in Communication, and People Skills
    Poor Execution of Launching New Procedures and Protocols
    Cliques within the Leadership Team Form Poor Opinions of Employees
    Instead of Helping Their Staff - They Shoot Their Own Wounded (so to speak)
    Don't Expect to See Daniel Meyer - He's a rare sight

Advice to Management

I am sure that Joyce is a great person. Working for her people - not so much. Management, you may not take this seriously and I honestly don't expect you to. If you didn't listen when this employee was employed with you, you sure won't listen now that they are not.

However, for those who read this, until the ministry takes an honest look upon itself as a company and ministry, you can expect the same rigmarole and the same backstabbing within the company. You can expect the same treatment of good, hardworking people with the same turn out - termination and turnovers. It is truly a shame that you missed many great opportunities with excellent employees growing within this ministry.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Rita Mae Brown

"Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Fenton, MO

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It paid a fair wage and benefits were good.

Cons

You must "drink the cool aid". Hypocrisy and judgment rampant. Not a good place for the soul. You will lose your religion fast. Not truly a ministry...it is a business that markets and sells God.

Advice to Management

Save yourself and your soul and get out now.

Mar 4, 2016 – HR Manager

Thanks for your feedback. The mission of Joyce Meyer Ministries is to Share Christ - Love People. We minister to people worldwide through the many outreaches we support. The St. Louis Dream Center... More

"Great Learning Environment"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at JMM has taught me how to consider people and projects from multiple angles. The product managers have instilled within me solid project principles that have helped me be more productive. The leadership is has shown me grace on several occasions, and is more than likely to hear my thoughts and concerns on a regular basis.

Cons

The interviewing process is very rigorous, and could be intimidating to someone not as mature in ministry in general. There are times when the size of the ministry demands work that feels like a "grueling pace." If you have not had ministry experience before, the level of sacrifice required at times to keep up could be exhausting.

Advice to Management

Continue to cast vision to the employees. Also, the achievers program is one of my favorite JMM perks.

Mar 4, 2016 – HR Manager

Good to hear your input. It's helpful to know the interviewing process can be a little intimidating. We certainly don't want it to be overwhelming but we do want it to be rigorous. Your input is... More

"copywriter"

Former Employee - Module Lead in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Module Lead in Fenton, MO

I worked at Joyce Meyer Ministries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

creative work environment. Forward thinking for a Christian ministry. Good people. Up to date on trends in marketing and design. Young, energetic atmosphere.

Cons

You must "drink the koolaide", i.e., be 1000 percent behind Joyce's philosophies. Dissent is not tolerated. Lots of ancient cliques in management. Nepotism runs rampant. Somewhat controlling environment--don't ask Joyce a question that hasn't been pre-approved. People placed in senior editorial positions who have NO editorial experience. Because they are a Christian non-profit, they don't have to play by the rules of regular businesses. They don't pay unemployment compensation. If HR makes you a promise, be sure to get it in writing. "Mentoring" might mean religious instruction, i.e., adopt Joyce's charismatic Christianity.

Advice to Management

Be willing to put new blood in management positions. Break free of the "in" group mentality. Hire people who are qualified for positions, not just because they are popular.

Mar 7, 2016 – HR Manager

The ministry is filled with many different people and we all have varied opinions. One of the many things the ministry believes in is that there is strength found in appreciating our differences... More

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Joyce Meyer Ministries (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent benefits package
    - Great work environment
    - Great work-life balance
    - Good Job Security
    - Cohesive and excited management team
    - Genuine care for employees

Cons

- Little room for advancement within the organization