Juniper Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Juniper Networks Reviews

Updated October 17, 2017

1.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Easy work life balance ( unlimited work from home option ) (in 178 reviews)

• Project timings is any work from Home option is there (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes work/life balance might be a bit tougher (in 52 reviews)

• upper management is not caring for their employees (in 38 reviews)

1. "company going downhill"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be a good company.

Cons

The company has too many politics. The morale is really low. It is hard to keep good people.

Advice to Management

There is no leadership.

2. "Used to be great place for HR, but no more"

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time

Pros

Still some solid people in HR trying to make a difference. "Comfortable" work environment which allows for balanced life. Turned around layoff trend for two years.

Cons

Multiple rounds of layoffs this year. Worst kept secret that more on the way. Most of our HR leaders have left leaving us biz leaders to manage on our own. Not innovating our way to revenue growth so focus on extreme cost-cutting. Short-term focus prevents long-term growth. Impacting culture, values and innovation. Passive and uncertain HR team - third CHRO in three years fostering environment of distrust. Talent no longer matters.

Advice to Management

Don't believe your own press. Old articles proclaiming HR success no longer accurate, and neither is Watermark award to CEO "who gets it."

"Senior Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company with great forecast, potential and the ability to dominate the networking space .

Cons

HR department is clueless. Lacking in candidate pipeline and got rid of the best sourcer I had ever worked with in my 20 years that actually knows our space and how to get great talent in the door.

Advice to Management

Understand where to cut costs. Your success does not lie with bringing in VPs and EVP's that are large expenditures for the company. Your success comes from boots on the ground talent . I.E. your resident engineers your sales engineers and your account managers. This is the talent you need to be bringing in the door.

"Political Jungle"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time

Pros

I work at Juniper full-time in Sunnyvale, CA. It had good executives who cared about results and the company until a year ago. Leaders cared about goals of the Company and it's future.

Cons

In recent quarters, we've seen the highest degree of politics and this is rampant as it goes unchecked. HR is brainwashed by VP messaging "no issues" inspite of the fact that 14 people quit from a group of 36 in few months. Telecommuting is not allowed for some groups while others work only remote- there is no uniformity on rules. Juniper has become a who's who and who knows whom, type of philosophy for hiring, And they hire from Cisco mainly. The Director & VP level keep bringing in their buddies who have zero skill set or aptitude to do the work . Also some Organizations in particular, have same doers carrying the work-load, the hard -working, loyal, diligent employees and the VP's pet club gets to come in at 8am and leave at 1pm because he has a liking for certain female employee. Baking has become the criteria to be selected for conferences, visibility roles, - as in the more you bake and put at your desk, higher the chance to be chosen to take someone else's work and present at higher level. Shame on the management who does this & bigger shame to execs who see this and turn a blind eye. Ofcourse it helps that the folks preferred are good lookers in stiletto's and giggle with accents and bat eyelashes versus the ones who crank out the work. Execs give visibility to eye candy or political players and doers carry the weight and are kept buried with work

Advice to Management

Do a serious layoff on the un-necessary Dir & VP level folks who have no day job. Don't steal ideas, present other people's content, and act like you've created it. Fix preferential treatment & motivate your groups on merit. HR needs to look at common theme and probe the reasons folks are leaving even without other jobs in hand.

"Company Unprofessionalism"

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While this is a mandatory field, my only pro(?), is that the company offers competitive salaries, but I am not sure if it is worth the aggravation.

Cons

Highly unprofessional company. People get promoted to management without the necessary soft skills, leadership, or knowledge to effectively perform their job. Manager/Employee trust is hard to obtain. Major favoritism within the organization. While the company offers unlimited vacation, in some cases you need to provide 3-6 months notice to use it. If offered a position, I would seriously consider other opportunities.

Advice to Management

Priority 1. Need more training on leadership and soft skills. MORE PROFESSIONALISM.
    Priority 2. Managers need to have better qualifications prior to being hired or promoted.

"Awful enviornment"

Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Routing still tends to innvovate

Cons

1. Connections are the ONLY way to get to the top
    2. Skills not valued anymore
    3. Too much dead wood

Advice to Management

Can we please take a good look at the strategy of the company? Where is Security - never on Gartner quardent.

"Needs better values."

I worked at Juniper Networks full-time

Pros

Salary is a big plus

Cons

People do not respond on emails, how ever important it can be. Hiring process is not smooth, that they never update the final status of the interview to the candidate. They drop positions as they like.

I am affected in a way that they dropped the hiring position just after shortlisting candidates for final round of interviews. I worked as hard to get into final round only to hear the news that they are dropping the position only because Hiring manager's position is on Hold.

They give out challenges for few positions which require you to demo in working condition during interviews. I worked as hard to make my project requirement work and presented working solution with utmost enthusiasm only to end up with a reject even without a feedback from Manager who talked well about my Solution.

Advice to Management

Make intimacy/feedback one of your priorities.

8. "Software Engineer"

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time

Pros

Amazing people in small pockets, flexible work life.

Cons

Programs being cancelled are too many.
    Every good person I talk to is looking out of the door, not a good sign for the company. Compensation is way less than Silicon Valley average.

Advice to Management

Innovate! Encourage ideas from younger generation and guide them to the future and future of the company. Battling with big C and other competitors is not worth it. The development processes are really slow, the industry moved towards smart ide's we still use old development slow processes. With younger crowd trying to innovate, and not giving them opportunity will of course make them look for opportunities outside. I am almost of out the door.

"Terrible Team Morale"

I have been working at Juniper Networks full-time

Pros

Good benefits - choice of subsidy for gym membership or free use of onsite gym, good insurance plan options, "unlimited" PTO (can be a pro or con)

Cons

HR is there to protect upper management and the company. Don't believe their "no retaliation" policy as there have been very clear cases of retaliation against employees who have complained. Employees feel threatened and can't do anything about it, and team morale is terrible as a result. Stay away from the Business Ops Planning team!

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. There's a reason why people are leaving in droves, yet nothing gets done about the abusive power management has. So much for the "Juniper Way."

"Lack of leadership vision in All-male C-suite"

Pros

In theory - juniper should be able to take advantage of the opportunity in the market to increase the market share - but due to ineffective closed off ( does not listen to the field) homogeneous leadership they have been unable to pivot the organization.

Cons

1- no corporate strategy or long term vision. The 'strategy' the CEO has laid out is a product development strategy NOT a business or growth strategy. Even if there was a true business strategy the absence of a COO in the company to deliver on it means it would stop in Sunnyvale.

2- closed off/inaccessible c-suite. Having come from much larger products companies including as Cisco and Dell - the inaccessibility of Rami and the rest of the all male leadership team was a shock to me. They have actively shown they have no interest in connecting with the field (note- Sunnyvale is NOT where our customers are). I used to have Michael dell and John chambers frequently come out to the field to meet with my customers on 1-2 weeks notice.. Here - you spend months ( at least 7 months in advance) working with an admin - who provides you 1 date and time that your customers are expected to work around. In addition - rami and his core leadership team clearly have no interest of connect with the workforce - as LinkedIn requests are ignored and/or declined.

3- complete absence of diversity and unwillingness to invest or focus on fixing the gap. The corporate sales deck is embarrassing. The first slide shows pictures of the "key" csuite leaders in the company- all who are male. In addition there are constant examples of patterns of disrespect for women in this company ( with women only making up less than < 10%) with no where for women to turn to report these incidents. hr does not have an employee relations function- and in fact has told women in the past that they are advocates for juniper - not the employees. And taken incidents reported directly back to the supervisors on which issues were being reported. In addition there are several discriminatory HR policies that really could get juniper in trouble.

4- lack of customer / market focus. Juniper develops whatever products they want. They spend no time or investment on understanding the market opportunities and evolving products based on that input. A billion $ company can not be successful if it doesn't understand or adjust for the market conditions going on outside of the valley.

Advice to Management

Need new leadership at the top to mitigate not just attrition but total market failure. Need leaders who understand the market ( not juniper "yes" men who sit in Sunnyvale). It goes without saying - anyone who went up business school knows - the corporate strategy should include more than the next product feature we're going to deploy.

Showing 87 of 1,815 reviews