Just Born Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
David N. Shaffer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great opportunity for some"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Just Born full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent pay, good benefits, fairly simple work, pleasant (for the most part) co-workers.

Cons

Currently lots of animosity due to lawsuits between union and company. Turnover is on the rise due to this tension.

Advice to Management

Instill a culture of communication. Many issues arise simply because people are unwilling to share information with each other. This includes from shift to shift and from management to production.

2. "Unappreciated"

I worked at Just Born full-time

Pros

Community focused. Owners are very nice.

Cons

A lot of favoritism. Employees that should be valued aren't. It's more about who upper management likes rather than the employees that put in a lot of effort.

3. "Great People, Culture & Brands"

Former Employee - Marketing in Harleysville, PA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Harleysville, PA

I worked at Just Born full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a caring company, with great benefits, wonderful brands and a superior work environment. Employees are valued for the most part, and share in the company's successes.

Cons

Challenging times and budget crunching has caused some unfortunate stress in recent years as they've had to make some tough calls on business priorities. But I have no doubt they will come through shining because of the culture and RESPECT philosophy of business.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Partlow, VA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Partlow, VA

I have been working at Just Born full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have had a challenging and educational experience working here. I think most people would love it.

Cons

I do not have any at the moment. The experience thus far has been smooth.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Excellent leadership. Corporate is definitely on top of things

5. "Production Associate"

Current Employee - Production Associate in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Production Associate in Bethlehem, PA

I have been working at Just Born full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, Union Shop, Overtime Available, Friendly People

Cons

Supervisors try to flex on you, Company is trying to get rid of the union, No bonus

6. "Struggling Middle Class"

Current Employee - Machine Operator
    Current Employee - Machine Operator

I have been working at Just Born full-time

Pros

Good pay. Great coworkers. A few good supervisors. Ability to bid on and placed in more skilled positions. Union shop.

Cons

On strike for higher wages which will cover health care costs, pension for new hires, ability to roll over flexible spending account to the next year. Company spreading untruths via the news on radio, in newspaper, on tv. Supervisors do not get training in how to treat people appropriately. Management speeds up the belts in hopes of producing more product. Everyday at safe start meeting we are told about the amount of candy being wasted. It's mostly because the decorator equipment isn't working correctly and it's not the workers' fault although we are told it is. They complain about the cost of sugar while there is so much waste because the collection system is insufficient. Much blame is assigned to the workers while the real blame should go to the equipment that is not maintained regularly and mismanagement of inventory of supplies. The company says safety comes first for the associates but ultimately safety is often forsaken in order to have higher production.

Advice to Management

Listen to the associates about how to solve problems in the plant. Maintain and fix equipment. Positive remarks about associates' performance instead of blaming and verbal reprimands.

7. "BEWARE!!!! BCTGM LOCAL 6 IS OUT ON STRIKE!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Production in Bethlehem, PA
    Current Employee - Production in Bethlehem, PA

Pros

For more than 60 years, Just Born and BCTGM Local 6 (Philadelphia) have enjoyed a cooperative relationship based on mutual respect!!!

Cons

BCTGM Local 6 is out on strike and if you have any morals at all you should not come to work here until this strike is RESOLVED!!! We are on strike for labor justice and to preserve all workers rights!!!! I do not want to be out of work but I honestly can not image working in this plant as part of Operations Production without BCTGM Local 6 representation!!! You will be forced to work overtime. If you don't, you get an attendance mark and will soon be out the door. It does not matter if you are sick and bring in a doctors note, you still get the mark. If you are in the skilled trades, machinist, mechanic or electrician, Good Luck!!! You are going to need it and that is all I am going to say!!!!

Advice to Management

Get back to the negotiating table and END THIS!!!!! What you are doing to the workers of the BCTGM Local 6 is deplorable!!!!!!!

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Just Born full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Salary, Good Health Care, Nice co workers

Cons

Show favoritism. Expect you to work 24/7. NO Appreciation for hard, excellent job you're doing. Overload you with work. Too much stress! Extremely Slow moving decision making by top management. Do not appreciate their older employees. Worked there over 35 years and got pushed out the door because of age. Plan on early retirement at age 55. Not many people retire there.
    They clean house about every 9 years of older employees.

Advice to Management

Follow your philosophy statement and treat others as you would like to be treated.

9. "People are nice here"

Pros

Multi-functional working environment
    Friendly and easy-going coworkers
    Free candy
    Cafe is good

Cons

Sometimes things go slowly. Not very high efficient all the time

"Candy Not Good"

Former Employee - Cook/Machine Operator in Bethlehem, PA
    Former Employee - Cook/Machine Operator in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Just Born full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. I am going to add "this" just to hit the 20 word minimum. There is nothing else good about this place.

Cons

Staff is horrible. Upper management especially. Union shop, if your a hard worker expect nothing in return. Union presidents wife works in the office. Environment very unhealthy. THE CANDY- I ran machines that made peeps. There is nothing sanitary or healthy about this candy. I saw people without gloves sticking their fingers in the slurry before it hit the conveyor to form the peeps. LICK their fingers and stick it back in. Some of this was managemnet. The Carnuba wax is the same wax used on vehicles. The guns that put the eyes on the peeps I saw cleaned once in the three years of working there. There is sugar dust all over the pipes and rafters above the conveyor belts, all different colors. I watched on several occasions, as well as other staff members, men on sanitation pull pucks out of the urinals with BARE hands and then go out and use the same hands to wipe staff tables and machines used to package open candy, without WASHING their hands. Where the peeps get their sugar coating no one ever cleaned inside there and constantly old sugar and mold would fall onto candy and belt. Candy is made of dyes and fructose high corn syrup. It would take three or four showers before the dye would come off of my skin, imagine your inside. Building itself is filthy where candy is made in all departments. Numerous reports of finding pills and other things in candy. Upper management was constantly changing. Almost a complete different staff from when I had started. Very cut throat and a very clear line was kept between workers and office staff. Management cares nothing for employees. They embodie the ideals of workers are just a number. I could go on....

Advice to Management

Owners need to clean out upper management and go back to running the business themselves. If not your business is a horrible place to work.