Just Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 18, 2017

1.0
James Lewis and Deborah Merril

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learning new things about the business n possible ways to earn a lot of money (in 8 reviews)

• Most people say they're really good benefits here but I've had better (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • I became embarrassed from telling people that I worked for a company who run business using door to door / contract signing tactics (in 32 reviews)

• 100% Commission so while you're training and not signing people up yourself you are working long hours without getting paid (in 16 reviews)

1. "Extremely high turnover rates, disorganized"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Suffern, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Suffern, NY

I worked at Just Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is big on Volunteering and community

Cons

Honestly, just about everything. There are very few who were trained properly and management continues to pile work without any regard for what is actually going on. The upper Management takes zero responsibility for the decisions. Outdated computer system with tons of issues and no work around. company wants sales but have the highest prices and little to no incentives or value for customers.

Advice to Management

Get it together! Extremely poor planning on a company transition someone needs to get in there and organize the business. The Suffern office needs to be shut down until a real business plan is put together. Also stop focusing on unnecessary things like ping pong and Foosball tables and invest in your employees.

"As Expected"

I worked at Just Energy full-time

Pros

-Friendly coworkers/team atmosphere and good dynamic
    -otherwise...

Cons

-Very deceptive in regards to pay during training
    -Cut the fat mentality
    -From getting in the crew van to getting home is usually around 10 hours yet paid only for 8
    -Deceptive sales pitch aimed at lower income neighborhoods that allude to savings on the gas bill yet dint actually guarantee it.

Advice to Management

Be more unified and make sure everyone is informed

"Horrible company"

I worked at Just Energy full-time

Pros

I have None at all

Cons

The management and the ceo are terrible they cut off bonuses, they scam customers

"Stay away"

Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Ontario, CA

I worked at Just Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really don't have any beside sometimes you actually get payed your commissions

Cons

Liars, they lie and don't keep their word, they do unethical and sometimes illegal things and make their employees do the same

Advice to Management

Be professional and learn the law.

"They hire young, long hours, and don't pay well"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Just Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some cool people that work there, but they deserve better
    If you're desperate for a job, you're in the right place

Cons

Doesn't pay well, you can do better if you have your degree
    Long hours
    If you walk through the Call Center is what I think walking through a prison yard would be like
    Company is in dire financial crisis.
    They literally scam customers. Google "Just Energy Scams" and you'll see hundreds of complaints. Do you want to work for this shady company?
    They messed up payroll and didn't fix it until next pay period. It put a lot of people in financial problems.

Advice to Management

Liquidate the company, try to pay off your large debt to equity ratio

"Not a great place - good luck getting paid right"

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Just Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None other than location however they are over crowded in building

Cons

As a former employee I would like to share some helpful information for job seekers.

First I would like to point out that the organization employs poor leaders and they are not held accountable for their performance.

Within the last year the company culture has changed. Mainly because new leaders joined and rolled out changes within company that were aggressive. The culture is not designed for everyone to work towards a common goal it's now a back stabbing type culture.

It is not a good place to work. Also if you decide to work for the company good luck getting paid. The payroll is always wrong.

Advice to Management

Value employees
    Stop micro managing
    Hold leaders accountable
    Pay for performance
    Pay bonuses fairly
    Work life balance
    Stop over working employees
    Stop over staffing and fix problem
    Stop staffing top heavy

"4 Months That Felt Like 4 Years"

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Houston, TX

Pros

I do not have any Pros for this Company.

Cons

The HR department is very unorganized and unprofessional. Payroll specifically is understaffed, the employees are not valued and are bullied everyday. You are expected to work unreasonable hours and you do not have a work life balance. Almost everyday you are expected work overtime, sometimes until 10 PM. You are required to take your laptop home when you leave the office and always work on the weekends. You are expected to make this Company your first priority; God forbid you get sick or have to take vacation at this job, if you do you are looked down at and are treated differently (disrespected). In my 4 month tenure at this Company before I quit, I worked approximately 211 overtime hours (unpaid), never took lunches and I took 2 days off (I worked from home sporadically throughout the day on both of those days) yet, I was expected to do more. When I drew the line at coming in on a Saturday (Not a work day) I was treated very disrespectfully.

In the end I felt unwanted, as I had an opinion in regards to the stress and treatment of myself and coworkers and was vocal about it; this is not something this Company wants and Management shows this in their actions.

Your opinion does not matter at this Company and if your voice your disapproval, or question anything, your are ignored. Your voice does not matter at this Company, and your hard work is not appreciated.

Finally as an example to the lever of professionalism at this Company, when I had reached my wits end and couldn't take the stress, the treatment and the bullying anymore, I told my Manager that I quit. She did not try to resolve the issues, talk to me privately, do anything, all she said (in front of everyone) was "have a nice life"

I do not think this an acceptable workplace or work environment for anyone. If you get a call from Just Energy, I strongly urge you to respectfully decline; No matter your situation in life, working at this Company will no doubtfully make it worse. Just stay away!!

Advice to Management

1) Respect your employees
    2) Value your employees
    3) Do not turn your nose down at employees who use sick time or take vacation
    4) Hire help instead of over working your employees
    5) Do not feel threatened by strong individuals that help make your organization better
    6) Stop bullying employees
    7) Stop giving employees ultimatums and threaten their jobs (this did not happen to me personally however, I witnessed this on numerous occasions)
    8) Strive for a higher level of professionalism

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Just Energy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They pay biweekly , offer health benefits, stock plans and 401k match. They are on lines with benefit offers of other companies.

Cons

I would not recommend working here to anyone right now. Mismanaged, lower pay than industry for anyone that is not executive and continually hiring unsuitable leaders that destroy the company and treat loyal employees like crap. The CEOs seem to miss this right under their nose, they come in and then continually rip off the company and overspend on things that don't make money and on their "people". The wrong people are noticed while the strong and loyal leave or are unhappy.
    Focus on what you know best. Unravel spending more often to find out the who what and why. Don't hire on promises , Focus on a few ideas to complete and succeed at. No one is successful with ADD ( never completing a task). Look at the last 5 years , the Executive walk of shame and change the cycle.

Advice to Management

Look within your four walls for loyal and smart employees that have the company's best interest in mind, raise them up, they won't rob you blind. Don't continually go outside to find the miracle cure, if someone says they can cure cancer in a week with no side effects ,they are most likely lying. The people and solution is probably closer than you think. Stay focused and expand on what you know (retail energy) . Own your space.

"Commision trouble"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Just Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent training, good people supportive environment. They work to get you working and want your success because it means money in their pocket.

Cons

My former bosses in the company were embezzling. Was asked to come back after being told that the issue had been taken care of. Company then wanted over 1,500 paid to them from my commissions from fraudulent check cashing those bosses did 6 years previous.

Advice to Management

When you find a problem with the books and you know that there are particular people responsible, keep those people responsible. Using strong arm tactics after tricking a person to come back like shorting their pay in a manner that is considered to be illegal is not ethical and doesn't promote goodwill with your employees. Took top 10 in nation in sales in first couple weeks but couldn't trust the pay, imagine how much the company lost out on in the long run.

"STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Just Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

NONE!!!! Besides the free lunch from time to time.

Cons

OVERWORKED AND UNDERPAID!!! Management doesn't care about your success at the company they're just collecting a paycheck!