JustAnswer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
JustAnswer CEO Andy Kurtzig
Andy Kurtzig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work-life balance is amazing for a tech company (in 19 reviews)

• Self motivated individuals, nice benefits and beautiful location (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Management is very well-meaning, but the business model can't sustain itself (in 7 reviews)

• positive reviews are from people who have been with the company less than 6 months (in 5 reviews)

"Fun business problem, outstanding coworkers and entry- to mid-level career opportunities, some challenges in strategy"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JustAnswer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many Pros: incredibly beautiful offices, great co-workers, plenty of learning opportunity and access to very intelligent workers, pretty open planning process, strong tech team and chops, good pay, good perks. Great place to learn and grow, to a point.

Cons

Final decision making rests with relatively few, leading to predictable strategy and investment paths. Company success was incremental, consistent with it's "just tinker" approach to developing new products and services. Few major investments/victories. Limited growth options post-manager level. Limited problem set (in terms of tech challenges/product offerings). More marketing driven than pure value-added product.

Advice to Management

Always keep innovating!

"Great people however bad decisions"

Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product in San Francisco, CA

I worked at JustAnswer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Life balance , Great people, Perfect location

Cons

They focus in one initiative and forget the rest of the teams

"Great People, Amazing Opportunity and Interesting Challenges"

Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Location - in the Presidio. It would be hard to find a tech job in a more beautiful location. With the GG bridge and Bay view, hundreds of years of history, natural surroundings and perfect weather, it is an amazing place to come every day.
    People - the most competent, passionate and helpful people anywhere. They make the daily work fun and meaningful. Being a team player is valued.
    Opportunity to grow - JustAnswer has a profitable business model (rare) in the barely tapped market of online professional services. The upside potential is huge.
    Challenges - online services clearly have a future but there are difficult challenges to overcome opening the market. This keeps the work interesting and the everyone learns something every day.
    Executive team - smart, open, dedicated to the company. They support a culture of respect, fairness and meritocracy.

Cons

There are still startup/small company difficulties with keeping the company going in a strategic direction, high level communication of vision, having standards of practice.

Management skills are uneven between groups and there is a lack of interest in mandating improvements. HR in general is underpowered and under valued as a part of the company's organizational structure. More investment there would improve the company substantially by increasing skills, performance and morale.

In general, the staff is under titled compared to the industry and the pay is only fair. Don't come here to get the best salary possible, come here to get to the big payoff in the future and interesting challenges in the meantime.

Advice to Management

There are times the Exec team could be more successful by focusing on the big picture and leading rather than small optimizations via impatient micromanagement. Spending time in the weeds is not going to make a difference, but strategic management will.

"Nice People, Tough Environment"

I worked at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Beautiful office space

The minions work hard

The free food is nice

Fun atmosphere, usually, and a good sense of camaraderie

Benefits are good

Cons

Management is very well-meaning, but the business model can't sustain itself. The company is addicted to its scammy model that charges people for subscriptions and questions that go unanswered, then skims off the top by not automatically granting that cash to the experts who answer them.

The idea is neat, but the execution doesn't work right now.

Advice to Management

You have to rip the bandaid off at some point. People do not feel good about the direction of the company right now. Also, I really hope you've actually started to develop data-driven analysis.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Smart coworkers. The office is located in a national park, beautiful place, and convenient for those who live in North Bay. A few teams are working on AI projects, it is a great opportunity to try new technologies and be on the edge of technological progress.

Cons

Sometimes early meetings with offshore teams are required.
    Though there are many nice new technical projects, engineers need to spend a significant amount of time maintaining and extending legacy codebase.

"Great Team, Beautiful Location"

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Solid development group, Positive company culture, the Presidio is a great place to work. There are plenty of opportunities to be successful and make a difference in the company's future for all departments.

Open communication about the business is encouraged whether it is positive or negative and even if one does not agree with the final decision, they can leave the room knowing their voice was heard.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a middle sized ex-startup.

A growing number of positions are located in Ukraine. The team there is great, but it makes for odd working hours and less face-to-face contact with coworkers. On the flip side of this, travel to Ukraine is encouraged and is a great experience.

Advice to Management

This year we have started focusing more on the customer experience and I would like to see this trend continue.

"Down the hill"

I worked at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Nice location, free food and flexible schedule

Cons

Political and not achievement driven. Many people don't seem to know what they are doing, especially on exec level

"The people make this place great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing group of folks working here. I think most employees will say that the people are the company's best asset. Everyone is hard working, smart, helpful and collaborative. There are truly no egos and you can feel in the way everyone tries to pitch in, especially in dealing with challenges every business takes on. It feels like we're all family here.

Also - free lunches, gym stipend and fully stocked kitchen is pretty awesome.

Cons

We need to keep in mind as we turn our focus on growth to always make sure to keep the customer experience positive, since happy customers are our best publicity/advertising.

Advice to Management

Focus on the mission - democratizing professional services through technology. It's an amazing mission and we should let that mission guide us in our drive for growth.

"Make a Difference!"

Pros

Great people, inspirational mission, helping people every day with access to high quality expert advice. Culture of continuous improvement. Data driven, test focused approach. Challenging business to execute well -- that's part of the fun! And yes, awesome location, great perks.

Cons

Balancing fiscal responsibility with desire to invest in product and service enhancements. Very happy to be profitable and growing -- would also love to be able to attack our challenges more quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring in great people who are committed to making a difference and helping the business grow. Focus on building raving fans of our customers. Expand our services so that we can help our customers to solve their entire problem.

"Focused, and great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really amazing challenges to take on. The team here is focused on taking the next step from a successful business to a world-class service people can't live without. Data driven culture, with both inclusiveness to allow for multiple perspectives, as well as an ability to let data be the deciding factor. And always focused on the customer.

Cons

Culture is so inclusive, so congenial, it can be hard sometimes to remember that confrontation and honesty are good for seeing different perspectives. Being in the Presidio is amazing, and can lull you in with it's beauty.

Advice to Management

You've clearly defined was success looks like; stay focused on those metrics, encourage diverse ways to hit them, and invest in the team members here to ensure it happens.