JustAnswer Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
JustAnswer CEO Andy Kurtzig
Andy Kurtzig

Pros
  • The work-life balance is amazing for a tech company (in 19 reviews)

• Self motivated individuals, nice benefits and beautiful location (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad location, business model has a lot of ethical issues (in 7 reviews)

• Enormous technical debt that continues to grow (in 5 reviews)

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Smart coworkers. The office is located in a national park, beautiful place, and convenient for those who live in North Bay. A few teams are working on AI projects, it is a great opportunity to try new technologies and be on the edge of technological progress.

Cons

Sometimes early meetings with offshore teams are required.
    Though there are many nice new technical projects, engineers need to spend a significant amount of time maintaining and extending legacy codebase.

"The people make this place great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing group of folks working here. I think most employees will say that the people are the company's best asset. Everyone is hard working, smart, helpful and collaborative. There are truly no egos and you can feel in the way everyone tries to pitch in, especially in dealing with challenges every business takes on. It feels like we're all family here.

Also - free lunches, gym stipend and fully stocked kitchen is pretty awesome.

Cons

We need to keep in mind as we turn our focus on growth to always make sure to keep the customer experience positive, since happy customers are our best publicity/advertising.

Advice to Management

Focus on the mission - democratizing professional services through technology. It's an amazing mission and we should let that mission guide us in our drive for growth.

"Focused, and great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really amazing challenges to take on. The team here is focused on taking the next step from a successful business to a world-class service people can't live without. Data driven culture, with both inclusiveness to allow for multiple perspectives, as well as an ability to let data be the deciding factor. And always focused on the customer.

Cons

Culture is so inclusive, so congenial, it can be hard sometimes to remember that confrontation and honesty are good for seeing different perspectives. Being in the Presidio is amazing, and can lull you in with it's beauty.

Advice to Management

You've clearly defined was success looks like; stay focused on those metrics, encourage diverse ways to hit them, and invest in the team members here to ensure it happens.

"Growing Again"

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

JustAnswer is growing again and it's very exciting. There are numerous initiatives to build new revenue streams while maintaining the great Question revenue that sustains the company.

My JustAnswer colleagues are fantastic. It is a very bright group of people working together to solve the huge challenge of bringing professional services to the web.

Lunch twice a week, team building events and regular company meetings to keep us up to speed on how we're doing.

Cons

Cracking the professional services market is very hard...

Early mornings are often necessary as we have teams offshore in India and Ukraine.

Advice to Management

Keep up the planning cycles. Make sure we can move from quarter to quarter with minimal disruption as we continue building our revenue.

"Profitable and Growing"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Like the title says! That’s a pretty great thing to be as a technology company these days!

- It’s challenging. This is a really hard business to be in. Bringing professional services online requires overcoming some seriously challenging business hurdles to win in this space and while many other companies have tried and failed; JustAnswer is positioning itself to be a serious contender.

- If you read reviews online there are thousands of satisfied customers who have been genuinely helped in their live by JA. It’s awesome to be a part of that.

- The people here are just great. Everybody is very smart and driven to succeed. Just about anybody who has worked here for a long time will tell you that one of the reasons they stay is the people. I’ve read reviews on Glassdoor suggesting that positive reviews are no-real and everybody is miserable. It just isn’t true.

- The office being in a national park makes for an amazingly beautiful place to go every day. Taking long walking meetings are welcomed and even promoted.

- Software development processes here have greatly improved over the years since I first joined. We have moved from a monolithic .NET stack to something much more varied leveraging fairly cutting-edge technologies, deploying with greater frequency and much higher confidence (including native application development).

Cons

- JustAnswer has been around since 2003. They have been working at reducing technical debt that has accumulated over the years, but a company at this age has enough that it can be challenging to manage and work through for new developers. If you are looking for constant green fields, you will not be happy coding here unless you appreciate the challenge of refactoring code into a better place.

- The company did endure layoffs a few years ago, which was painful for a lot of people. However, it did become a turning point for how the company operates and has provided a lot of positive improvements overall subsequently.

- You really need to be self-motivated to succeed here. Most senior staff and teams function as start-ups inside of the start-up. If you need something done, you probably have to do it on your own. This can be a positive for some people, but if you’re coming from a large company where you didn’t have to see product development from start to finish then you might struggle.

Advice to Management

Keep your foot on the marketing gas pedal, but always remember to dedicate a portion of the company effort to making the customer experience great.

"Bogus and Cloned Reviews are Misleading"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

As many have said; fun culture, pretty location, some nice competent people.

Cons

Weak and unqualified leadership, too much nonsense activity for the sake of activity. Desperately needs a competent CEO. Tough location for most commuters except the CEO and employees living near the Presidio.

Advice to Management

Get competent leadership that can focus on a sustainable direction. Please replace the CEO.

"Business Analyst"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The most beautiful location you can ever dream of when working in San Francisco
    - A group of people who share the same vision and do things in a smart and efficient way
    - Tons of opportunities, and you really can see the impact of your work
    - Management are very supportive and express appreciation and recognition of all the hard work
    - This is my first job out of school, and I feel blessed (coworkers are patient and helpful. I have learned a lot!)

Cons

- You work in a national park, which sometimes distracts you a bit (the view of Golden Gate Bridge, the forest, the birds, etc.)

"Anonymous Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

-Awesome work/life balance.
    -The work environment is fun and exciting. The team is great, amazing co-workers! Some very smart and talented people!
    -Everyday is a learning experience, the challenge keeps you going!
    -Helping people on a daily is very rewarding.

Cons

- Beautiful office location but not an easy access for all.

"A mission that means something, work-life balance"

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the mission to help people at any hour, day or night. The work-life balance is amazing for a tech company. There are great perks and people seem to care about each other and their work.

Cons

So many meetings and company events (demo cats, lemonade stands, OKR prep, cross-departmental pods) that it doesn't leave enough time for actual work.

Advice to Management

Some legacy hierarchy of which departments/execs own various teams doesn't make a ton of sense. Certain parts of the company seem a bit dated. And cut back on all the activities so that we can accomplish more.

"Two Faced Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great diversity in terms of people and their background. It felt like a truly world-wide environment. Lunch is served twice weekly and the cabinets are packed with plenty of food. Located in the beautiful Presidio, although difficult to navigate to, the views and the green environment make for a great place to go on a walking meeting.

Cons

First off the company asks it's employees to write high starred reviews. I have no evidence that they create fake accounts to make fake posts, but I would take ANY 5 star review written for this company with a grain of salt.

Like I mentioned in the title, leadership (in particular most of the higher echelons with the except of one or two people) are two faced. What I mean by this is that originally the product had a great mission behind it to help people without the means to help themselves. That's all great except that PM's are forced by management to work on product updates that only help to confuse users into making payments or long term subscriptions. Leadership is really only looking to take every dollar they can rather than help their users.

The company has a serious issue with demoralized workers who don't really seem to want to work there but for some reason continue to stick it out. This causes any innovative approaches new employees want to try to be quickly shot down way before the concept can ever even be tested.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees and let them do their jobs. More importantly, respect your users and quit wasting time milking the 5% who send you all their money. Create a community and a product they love. Finally, take a new approach to leadership. Their are plenty of companies out there that do it in a way that employees love and want to continue to work there. Take notes and try some of them.