JustAnswer Reviews | Glassdoor

JustAnswer CEO Andy Kurtzig
Andy Kurtzig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Management is very well-meaning, but the business model can't sustain itself (in 7 reviews)

• positive reviews are from people who have been with the company less than 6 months (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great People, Amazing Opportunity and Interesting Challenges"

Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Location - in the Presidio. It would be hard to find a tech job in a more beautiful location. With the GG bridge and Bay view, hundreds of years of history, natural surroundings and perfect weather, it is an amazing place to come every day.
    People - the most competent, passionate and helpful people anywhere. They make the daily work fun and meaningful. Being a team player is valued.
    Opportunity to grow - JustAnswer has a profitable business model (rare) in the barely tapped market of online professional services. The upside potential is huge.
    Challenges - online services clearly have a future but there are difficult challenges to overcome opening the market. This keeps the work interesting and the everyone learns something every day.
    Executive team - smart, open, dedicated to the company. They support a culture of respect, fairness and meritocracy.

Cons

There are still startup/small company difficulties with keeping the company going in a strategic direction, high level communication of vision, having standards of practice.

Management skills are uneven between groups and there is a lack of interest in mandating improvements. HR in general is underpowered and under valued as a part of the company's organizational structure. More investment there would improve the company substantially by increasing skills, performance and morale.

In general, the staff is under titled compared to the industry and the pay is only fair. Don't come here to get the best salary possible, come here to get to the big payoff in the future and interesting challenges in the meantime.

Advice to Management

There are times the Exec team could be more successful by focusing on the big picture and leading rather than small optimizations via impatient micromanagement. Spending time in the weeds is not going to make a difference, but strategic management will.

"Nice People, Tough Environment"

I worked at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Beautiful office space

The minions work hard

The free food is nice

Fun atmosphere, usually, and a good sense of camaraderie

Benefits are good

Cons

Management is very well-meaning, but the business model can't sustain itself. The company is addicted to its scammy model that charges people for subscriptions and questions that go unanswered, then skims off the top by not automatically granting that cash to the experts who answer them.

The idea is neat, but the execution doesn't work right now.

Advice to Management

You have to rip the bandaid off at some point. People do not feel good about the direction of the company right now. Also, I really hope you've actually started to develop data-driven analysis.

"Great company!"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Smart coworkers. The office is located in a national park, beautiful place, and convenient for those who live in North Bay. A few teams are working on AI projects, it is a great opportunity to try new technologies and be on the edge of technological progress.

Cons

Sometimes early meetings with offshore teams are required.
    Though there are many nice new technical projects, engineers need to spend a significant amount of time maintaining and extending legacy codebase.

"Down the hill"

I worked at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Nice location, free food and flexible schedule

Cons

Political and not achievement driven. Many people don't seem to know what they are doing, especially on exec level

"Great Team, Beautiful Location"

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

Solid development group, Positive company culture, the Presidio is a great place to work. There are plenty of opportunities to be successful and make a difference in the company's future for all departments.

Open communication about the business is encouraged whether it is positive or negative and even if one does not agree with the final decision, they can leave the room knowing their voice was heard.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a middle sized ex-startup.

A growing number of positions are located in Ukraine. The team there is great, but it makes for odd working hours and less face-to-face contact with coworkers. On the flip side of this, travel to Ukraine is encouraged and is a great experience.

Advice to Management

This year we have started focusing more on the customer experience and I would like to see this trend continue.

"The people make this place great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Belmont, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing group of folks working here. I think most employees will say that the people are the company's best asset. Everyone is hard working, smart, helpful and collaborative. There are truly no egos and you can feel in the way everyone tries to pitch in, especially in dealing with challenges every business takes on. It feels like we're all family here.

Also - free lunches, gym stipend and fully stocked kitchen is pretty awesome.

Cons

We need to keep in mind as we turn our focus on growth to always make sure to keep the customer experience positive, since happy customers are our best publicity/advertising.

Advice to Management

Focus on the mission - democratizing professional services through technology. It's an amazing mission and we should let that mission guide us in our drive for growth.

"Make a Difference!"

Pros

Great people, inspirational mission, helping people every day with access to high quality expert advice. Culture of continuous improvement. Data driven, test focused approach. Challenging business to execute well -- that's part of the fun! And yes, awesome location, great perks.

Cons

Balancing fiscal responsibility with desire to invest in product and service enhancements. Very happy to be profitable and growing -- would also love to be able to attack our challenges more quickly.

Advice to Management

Continue to bring in great people who are committed to making a difference and helping the business grow. Focus on building raving fans of our customers. Expand our services so that we can help our customers to solve their entire problem.

"Focused, and great team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really amazing challenges to take on. The team here is focused on taking the next step from a successful business to a world-class service people can't live without. Data driven culture, with both inclusiveness to allow for multiple perspectives, as well as an ability to let data be the deciding factor. And always focused on the customer.

Cons

Culture is so inclusive, so congenial, it can be hard sometimes to remember that confrontation and honesty are good for seeing different perspectives. Being in the Presidio is amazing, and can lull you in with it's beauty.

Advice to Management

You've clearly defined was success looks like; stay focused on those metrics, encourage diverse ways to hit them, and invest in the team members here to ensure it happens.

"Great Company"

Pros

Innovative/Doing some really interesting things these days
    Beautiful Location in Presidio
    Nice Leaders who care a lot about the business
    Easy-going attitude, but still very focused on making an impact
    Free Lunches on Tuesday's and Thursday's, plus lots of free drinks and snacks.
    Fun off-sites like the "Family Day" recently
    Fun to travel to Ukraine and have visitors here from there
    Good strategy. I liked the connect the dots presentation.

Cons

Some cranky old "legacy" employees from a long time ago should just leave and get a fresh start somewhere else, instead of peeing in everyone's kool aid.

Advice to Management

Ignore the haters. You're on the right track.

"Growing Again"

I have been working at JustAnswer full-time

Pros

JustAnswer is growing again and it's very exciting. There are numerous initiatives to build new revenue streams while maintaining the great Question revenue that sustains the company.

My JustAnswer colleagues are fantastic. It is a very bright group of people working together to solve the huge challenge of bringing professional services to the web.

Lunch twice a week, team building events and regular company meetings to keep us up to speed on how we're doing.

Cons

Cracking the professional services market is very hard...

Early mornings are often necessary as we have teams offshore in India and Ukraine.

Advice to Management

Keep up the planning cycles. Make sure we can move from quarter to quarter with minimal disruption as we continue building our revenue.