Justice Resource Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Andy Pond, MSW

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • We rely on legislative support of human services (in 7 reviews)

• Some of jobs are high-demand and require active self-care to build resilience (in 7 reviews)

1. "You can't find many companies that offer as much as JRI"

Current Employee - Clinician in Yarmouth Port, MA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Yarmouth Port, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Tons of opportunity for advancement or for movement within the agency.
    Lots of opportunity for trainings.
    The best benefits at a non-profit I have seen in Massachusetts.
    Lots of vacation time especially after two years.
    Comparable salaries to other agencies and great health insurance.
    After 5 years of working full time, you can start accruing a pension which is unheard of.

Having worked in several different positions and at four different JRI programs I can honestly say you CAN find the right fit but you need to be honest about what you're looking for in a job. While I could make more in a fee for service or blended salary position I know I am unhappy when I have to depend on billing for my income. As a result, I sought out one of the few salaried positions available at my education level and I'm so happy about it.

Some management isn't that great but I've been lucky to have a lot of great supervisors and program directors. If you don't like paperwork maybe try a JRI residential school as direct care staff. If you don't mind it then look into the community-based programs. If you're masters level, well, paperwork is going to be a part of your job no matter what, so figure out how to deal with that. It pays to be patient and to try to find the right position for you at JRI.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy, lots of paperwork. This is often necessary though. Some programs have high turnover rates which can be super stressful.

Advice to Management

Keep working to follow the mission and values of the agency. If a program isn't working then look at the managing staff and inquire with the direct care and masters level staff to see what people are saying about the issues going on there. A good portion of the time a bad PD or supervisor can make staff miserable. Overall though, I'm really pleased and see a long career for myself with the agency.

2. "Clinical Director"

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

Training opportunities, supervision, room to move up

Cons

Working in a program you are on an island as a vendor, little contact with JRI management

Advice to Management

Reach out to your contract employees because they are not treated the same as those in JRI programs

3. "Good place to work."

Current Employee - Teacher in Acton, MA
    Current Employee - Teacher in Acton, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Everyone loves the students, and it shows. People are just really good at what they do. Small class sizes mean really getting to know each student.

Cons

Pay is substantially lower than at a public school. Nothing is ever consistent. The computers break a lot.

4. "Social worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment & people to work with. Everyone is dedicated to supporting their clients and families which is really important. Staff will go above & beyond to make sure they are providing amazing service & advocating for family needs. Management is supportive and really stands by employees.

Cons

Compensation. Compensation is not equivalent to the hard work employees put in. A lot of twist and turns with compensation which is very frustrating. Employees easily burn out trying to keep & do not feel the pay is equivalent to all the work we do. Jri also lacks in diversity. There are not a lot of minorities within the company which JRI should really work on improving.

Advice to Management

The Compensation model is one of the main reasons I have heard many of my fellow coworkers decide to leave the company. The employees work very hard & are underpaid. Hopefully JRI can come up with a better compensation model that compensates their employees for all the hard work they put in so that employees can feel valued & not burn out.

5. "Management"

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

You know that you are making a positive difference in so many peoples' lives. Colleagues were awesome.

Cons

A lot of work and high expectation for very low wages.

6. "Supportive, flexible environment"

Current Employee - Program Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Program Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

JRI is generally invested in employee satisfaction and does a variety of initiatives (surveys, committees, etc) to keep staff happy. Pension plan is a plus. Colleagues are kind and friendly. Leadership is active, competent, and visible. Work is mission driven and focused. Some great people work here and have real loyalty to the organization in a way that can feel like a family without being claustrophobic.

Cons

Salaries aren't high in my division and the process for getting increases is a bit opaque. Corporate office offers profession development groups that aren't always well facilitated and thus can feel a bit silly. Healthcare plan is touted as highly competitive and I don't know other comparably sized orgs' plans, but it's still really expensive.

Advice to Management

Bonuses are no substitute for raises because they're taxed higher. Promote more diverse leadership by not choosing most obvious internal candidate and trying harder to cast a wide net, because otherwise it results in more homogeneous management.

7. "Survivor Mentor"

Former Employee - Survivor Mentor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Survivor Mentor in Boston, MA

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The satisfaction of being able to see how the participants grow through a therapeutic mentorship, can not be described with words. Although, that is the best thing of any public service job.

Cons

The distance of traveling and the ware-down of the car. And having to tell my story over and over, can be very difficult.

Advice to Management

Understand who your employees need to overcome such a demanding job.

8. "Social Services Agency"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fall River, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fall River, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, generous time off, positive work environment, room to advance within the agency as a whole (variability from program to program).

Cons

Depending on the program, salaries are typically quite low. Most are regulated by state contract limitations, so financial growth is limited for employees.

9. "Senior Community Health Worker"

Current Employee - Senior Community Health Worker in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Community Health Worker in Boston, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

family oriented, flexible, good pay, health work environment, opportunity to grow, opportunity for school.

Cons

should give more opportunities for supervisory role to those with the skills but not the degree.

Advice to Management

there is a lot of employees with potential, give us an opportunity for supervisory role, we have many years of experience.

10. "Mentor"

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute part-time

Pros

Work with kids
    Serve communities in need
    Assist in growth and development for underprivileged youth

Cons

Changes in management seem frequent
    Quick turn over/burnout