Justice Resource Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Andy Pond, MSW

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pros of JRI is that we have great benefits (in 18 reviews)

• JRI is a supportive company that offers a tremendous benefits package to employees (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • We rely on legislative support of human services (in 7 reviews)

• Some of jobs are high-demand and require active self-care to build resilience (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Company that Cares"

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

In everything they do - JRI shows how much they care about the people they serve, the employees who work here and the mission of the organization. From the beautifully maintained offices and residential programs, to the exceptional benefits offered to employees, to the commitment to support staff to achieve career advancement within the company, JRI is a role model for what Human Services organizations should look like. Leadership at every level of the company is passionate about the work, proud of our accomplishments and dedicated to making JRI a welcoming environment for everyone who works here or is provided services by one of the many outstanding programs. Staff at JRI are true advocates for social justice, equality and opportunity for all. Human Services professionals who choose to make a career at JRI will find an organization committed to their success. Great benefits, tuition reimbursement, competitive compensation, career advancement opportunities, an unheard of pension plan, an inspiring work environment and leadership that truly cares about them.

Cons

Not really a con, but you will work hard at JRI, learn a ton, and be rewarded for your efforts. This is a job where you can really make a difference every single day. But be prepared to give it 100% every single day. The people served by JRI deserve nothing less.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing! Listen to your employees - who have important insights into how to continually make the company better. Be available and spend time in the programs so that you see and feel the work from the perspective of the people who are delivering and receiving services. Lead by example! Recognize and reward talent!

2. "Supervisor"

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

Excellent opportunities for professional development.

Cons

Poor hiring practices and young management teams.

3. "Mentor"

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute part-time

Pros

Work with kids
    Serve communities in need
    Assist in growth and development for underprivileged youth

Cons

Changes in management seem frequent
    Quick turn over/burnout
    Lots of driving

4. "I never want to leave!"

Current Employee - Therapeutic Counselor in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Therapeutic Counselor in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is phenomenal, training is top notch and paid, benefits are awesome, teamwork is huge in many of their programs, amazing programs that change lives! Some are 5 stars, look them up! Room to grow, and hire from within, paid tuition.

Cons

Pay is on lower scale because of being non-profit. This is unfortunate because regardless of how passionate you are about helping people, you cannot live on 12$ an hr.

Advice to Management

If possible, try to make pay changes for support staff who risk their lives for clients and families on a daily basis! Even though they love the job, taking care of their own is highly important too, so loosing them to a low pay grade isn't worth a replacement worker who won't do the job with their heart !

5. "Great company overall"

Current Employee - Residential Counselor
    Current Employee - Residential Counselor

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

coworkers, company benefits, flexible scheduling

Cons

pay rate, communication amongst management

Advice to Management

be more upfront and transparent

6. "Good benefits but corrupt company"

Former Employee - Residential Staff
    Former Employee - Residential Staff

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are insanely cheap. The experience is good when the right type of kids are being placed in the correct housing types. Tons of overtime.

Cons

They just try to fill beds so houses don't get closed, so community based programs get violent teens from DYS. Frequent injuries and they talk you out of suing or pressing charges. Lack of support from any stuff especially supervisors. Extremely low pay for the jobs you do. Admins will complain about your work but aren't the ones dealing with the kids at the end of the day. None of the supervisors respect admin and no one is ever on the same page. Rules change all the time and no one relays the message. Staff turnover is horrible. Always looking to hire. No way to advance in the company. Popularity contest constantly. Every staff is hooking up with each other too. Bad for business and completely unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Pay more money to get people who don't abuse the children. It took MONTHS and a ton of complaints and one really horrible injury to get rid of a physically abusive supervisor and it was still swept under the rug and never brought to investigation.

Justice Resource Institute Response

Sep 25, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We take this feedback very seriously and hope that you were able to meet with your supervisor to share your observations so that we can look into your concerns. We are... More

7. "Specialties, and cutting edge research."

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

I found JRI when I was a junior in College and of course can only speak to my experience which I have to say was nothing short of an incredible launching pad to my career. I had an amazing supervisor who took me under her wing and taught me everything I know today. I was molded into a great social worker, and JRI helped me pay for my tuition, and supported me obtaining a higher degree 100%. I was not just trained to be great for JRI; my experience has helped me grow personally and professionally in so many different ways. I worked along side some of the best of the best, and opportunities are always awaiting for those who are willing to put themselves out there and jump in to the work.

Cons

I've seen many changes to the company over the years, including the community based division and I have always felt as though the communication about the changes have not always been well received by those doing the actual work. Working in the community, although incredibly rewarding, can have a lot of drawbacks. As a woman, I felt unable to continue my professional career with the company because I was not sure how I would have been able to balance a family with the work I was doing.

Advice to Management

Be careful of the parallel process that is going on between the pressure admins/directors/and managers are feeling. Directors should have access to financials, they should be well trained, continuously monitored, and division directors should become more involved in the work. It's unacceptable to me that I had to worry about my staff being able to feed their families, and pay their bills because of the inconsistency in the financial model. and it is unacceptable to me that when they attempted to speak out about it they felt silenced. However, I have to say that day in and day out my experience was overall positive. I was surrounded by people I have known for a long time, and who shared the same vision, and values as mine. I always felt that I could dream big when I worked for this company. I miss it greatly, though I am glad to be in a new position that offers me the work/life balance I was craving, and one where I have the control over how I want to manage my time.

8. "Other companies pay more for the same work"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Boston, MA

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, hours. Was able to go to school and study while working nights. Tuition reimbursement is available. That's about it.

Cons

Pay, hostile work environment to those with political views that differ from the company leadership, understaffed, high turnover. Not much upwards mobility. Lack of funding often creates unsafe work environments because clients aren't receiving the resources they need.

Advice to Management

The head of the company constantly sends politically charged emails to everyone. A more direct supervisor also sent out an email with information on how to get involved with a group that has been deemed a domestic terrorist organization by law enforcement. This company has a major political agenda and creates an uncomfortable and somewhat hostile environment towards people with differing opinions. The company should be focusing on the care of its clients and it appears that they are worried more about a political agenda than providing a safe environment for their staff who are frequently forced to work alone with multiple violent clients.

9. "Amazing Company"

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

Great room for advancement, benefits and pay

Cons

There are really no cons

10. "Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President in Salem, MA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Salem, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Our Division joined JRI through a merger just six months ago. The process has been positive from top to bottom and our integration has been one marked by respect and open conversation. JRI's reputation as a leader in social justice has already been confirmed a thousand times over. JRI is culturally responsive, trauma-informed, and possesses all of the qualities of a leader. This is no coincidence with people like Andy Pond and Jenn Miguel at the helm. JRI is a great place to be and I'm proud to work here.

Cons

Nothing to note in this section

Advice to Management

None