Justice Resource Institute Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andy Pond, MSW

Pros
Cons
  • We rely on legislative support of human services (in 7 reviews)

• New compensation model does not promote self-care, but promotes burn out (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Company that Cares"

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time

Pros

In everything they do - JRI shows how much they care about the people they serve, the employees who work here and the mission of the organization. From the beautifully maintained offices and residential programs, to the exceptional benefits offered to employees, to the commitment to support staff to achieve career advancement within the company, JRI is a role model for what Human Services organizations should look like. Leadership at every level of the company is passionate about the work, proud of our accomplishments and dedicated to making JRI a welcoming environment for everyone who works here or is provided services by one of the many outstanding programs. Staff at JRI are true advocates for social justice, equality and opportunity for all. Human Services professionals who choose to make a career at JRI will find an organization committed to their success. Great benefits, tuition reimbursement, competitive compensation, career advancement opportunities, an unheard of pension plan, an inspiring work environment and leadership that truly cares about them.

Cons

Not really a con, but you will work hard at JRI, learn a ton, and be rewarded for your efforts. This is a job where you can really make a difference every single day. But be prepared to give it 100% every single day. The people served by JRI deserve nothing less.

Advice to Management

Continue what you are doing! Listen to your employees - who have important insights into how to continually make the company better. Be available and spend time in the programs so that you see and feel the work from the perspective of the people who are delivering and receiving services. Lead by example! Recognize and reward talent!

2. "It ain't easy to keep on being a top employer--but JRI is doing it!"

Current Employee - Senior Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The collegial, collaborative and appreciative approach of the agency means that there are always opportunities for personal and professional growth. The benefits are matchless--no other agency, and very few employers of any kind, take are of their employees as well as JRI. Tuition reimbursement, scholarships. and a pension plan are all part of the deal. And finally the mission of social justice infuses everything JRI does. JRI is all about excellence in service delivery.

Cons

Starting pay is low. It's comparable for the industry, however, and if you add in the value of a rich benfit package you are likely to be well ahead of an employee of another agency whose "hourly" wage is listed as higher. If you are motivated, seek promotion, and take advantage of the opportunities, you will have a career at JRI.

Advice to Management

Keep working on getting the word out about "total compensation"--it will help our colleagues to appreciate JRI

"Pretty good but room for imp[rovement"

Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Needham, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Little to no office politics. Pleasant environment. Good IT support. Friendly co-workers. Diverse staff.

Cons

Managers are expected to do administrative tasks which can be demoralizing and time consuming. My supervisor is kind and supportive but so busy that we can go for several days without interacting. It seems as though everyone is expected to do the job of 2 or 3 people.

Advice to Management

Provide managers with more administrative support so they feel like managers. Have a pre-determined pay increase schedule.

5. "direct support"

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Cranston, RI
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Cranston, RI

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits and retirement program

Cons

some supervisory issues as there are alcohol and drug issues

Advice to Management

monitor supervisors

Feb 24, 2017 – HR Generalist

From the VP of HR Thank you for taking the time to post your review. JRI benefits include Paid Time Off, Blue Cross, Delta Dental, life and disability insurance and a pension plan that is ... More

6. "Residential Counselor"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Swansea, MA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Swansea, MA

I worked at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, training's are paid by the company

Cons

Company wants employees think this is a career but there is very little room for growth. High stress and can be put in very dangerous situations. Pay is awful $12.50 and hour- minimum wage is $11 for very high expectations.

Advice to Management

Support your employees, motivate them and give them positive recognition for their hard work with the population that they serve. Do not mislead them to think this is a career move.

7. "Injustice by Justice"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica Plain, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is well organized with clear branches and each branch maintaining its own goals and mission.

Cons

Egregious injustices are occurring at this institute. As part of its structure, JRI employs people with lived experience. In my opinion, these people are the most critical and beneficial team members for the families we serve. However, these lived experience employers are paid less than a camp counselor. While they are deemed integral by their employees, their compensation insinuates that they are not appreciated by management or the organization as a whole. It is difficult to watch and hear consistently in the office how people who are working hard for 40 hours a week cannot meet their basic needs or support their families. As service providers we always say that it is unjust that people who work full time struggle to survive, so how is it possible that we are placing our employees in the same position.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. It is not that those with lived experiences have not expressed their needs or concerns; they have. They have because they want to continue to work for this company, but cannot under the current circumstances. It is completely unjust and invalidating and against the mission of the institute. Please listen and make a change.

Feb 22, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We agree, staff with lived experience are critical to our mission and important team members! Please note that our Family Partner employees that ... More

"Please reconsider the change in compensation"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica Plain, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for JRI for several years. Generally, it is an excellent organization. I appreciate the emphasis on training, supervision, commitment to social justice, and the goal that employees stay for their entire careers. I love my team and the support I get from the people I work with. I always feel encouraged to go out on a limb to try new things and grow as a clinician. Within my office, I feel fully supported. Benefits are really good compared to other agencies.

Cons

Recently, the way community-based employees are being paid has changed, which makes me feel underappreciated by senior management. I am really concerned that I am going to get burnt out within a year or two if I am in this rat race of billing, and I have watched excellent clinicians leave due to the demands of productivity. While 32 billable hours was difficult before the change, I now must meet 20 hours (vs. 16 in the old system) before seeing money above a relatively low base pay. As others have mentioned, I am now stressed about taking one day off, let alone more than that, as it affects my whole week. We do not see any incentive in going to trainings anymore, since we aren't compensated over the base rate, and still must make productivity in that week. It was hard enough to take a self-care day before, and now it feels impossible. Enjoying the holidays that JRI observes is nearly impossible since we suffer financially (and end up having to work). Although presented as though we would make more money using this new pay rate, I can only imagine that we would make more money if we were billing 32-40 hours every single week (which really equates to working 60 hours).

Advice to Management

Please listen to your community-based employees. We work so hard to do great work, and I am proud to work for JRI.
    Pro-rate the required 20 hour minimum for weeks we take a sick day, attend a training, or if there is a holiday OR pay us money we would miss by not being able to bill.

Feb 22, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to give this feedback and writing this review. We agree, our staff work very hard, and do wonderful work! We have worked hard to try to keep a healthy compensation and ... More

"New CBS Division Compensation Is Unjust"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jamaica Plain, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working with JRI in the Boston area for almost 3 years. I love the supportive, friendly and professional environment at the CSA. I enjoy my supervision and colleagues. I have never felt alone working with our clients with complex trauma & needs. JRI's benefits and training are great.

Cons

The new compensation model for 2017 does not encourage work and life balance. Not only the base productivity has gone up, the PTO and training rates have been eliminated. I live on a set income so when I take PTO, I would not have enough money to pay rent since the hourly pay rate is barely above the MA minimum wage for non-Master level staff . For Master level staff it is only $14.42/hour. Granted, there is an incentive rate if I bill but that is the only focus. I am just the billing machine!

Advice to Management

JRI promotes work/life balance but this new pay scale does not support that mission. I do not feel valued and I am unsure if I should continue to invest in this agency. I feel JRI has grown so much in the last 2 years that it may be losing touch with the direct service staff who are the back bones of the agency. JRI cannot afford making major decisions like this new compensation model for the CBS programs without taking into considerations the negative effects on the lives of the people who make this agency great. There seems to be a lack of understanding regarding the job market in the greater Boston area versus other areas where some of the CBS programs are located. We have already lost 2 staff this year and more will be leaving.
    I believe in the mission of JRI particularly in the "social justice" for all staff. I truly hope senior administration at corporate level will re-evaluate the new CBS compensation.

Feb 22, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your feedback and hopefully you are aware that administration has in fact been evaluating the compensation package. Your feedback ... More

"staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Work environment is collaborative. Managers and Supervisors are encouraging, dedicated to the work, families and supporting a learning and professional growth environment. Insightful, in touch and talented to support their staff in the difficult work they do with the families that JRI serves. Always available to their staff. Value the work and creative to approach challenges.

Cons

The PTO 2017 compensation is critical to employees. It is like going to the bank and depositing your money and when you with draw what you have put in, they only get half back. This doesn't work. It is basic math. Many people are discouraged to understand how JRI came up with a package that essential takes away the a hard earned work/life balance benefit".

Advice to Management

If earn time, PTO (which replaces sick & vacation time are truly benefits then lower the base productivity when PTO is used by the staff member in any particular week. For instance if I take 8 hours of my PTO time, my productivity should be lowered in that week by that amount. One should be able to utilize what they work so hard for and not worry that the next check will not pay their rent, or basic needs of staff's family. JRI should not worry that there dedicated staff, lose their housing, cannot pay for the basic cost of living, food, clothing, utilities, auto insurance, gas and parking. There is not a way for many of those working in the Boston area to keep there head above water! Many come with prior educational & loans and bills. This impacts not only the staff member, but Supervisors, who spend countless hours helping to develop their supervisees skills and expertise so that JRI can be seen true to their mission in the work with families. Families are effected, as the ability for staff to be present, clear, confident, focused and able to balance & manage the emotional impact of very complicated families cannot truly work. Therefore all the program time, efforts to train and develop their staff is becomes mute. As a staff member to carry forward with high regard the true essence of the JRI mission to benefit, put into practice the skills, so that families truly are able to be self-efficient. Why is this not seen as a great cost on a program when due to this compensation package staff need to seek other employment and the program has to take the time to re-hire for those lost position, orientation, training, supervision time to develop a staff and therefore the program is not able to grow, concentrate in supporting families and develop the JRI specialties that really meet the needs of the communities. The competition for employment with similar roles in the Boston area is different then in the other communities in Massachusetts. IF we truly believe that JRI is one of the best companies to work for we must be mindful of being competitive.
    I worry that JRI is losing sight of there mission, a belief and program imbedded in communities, culture, social justice. This are difficult times we all face, unprecedented in the United States, JRI needs to have the pulse of there staff, not just the management or executive levels. Growth is good only when those that have the power to make effective change hear, seek, value the front line!

11. "CBS Therapy Staff"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Justice Resource Institute full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Incredible coworkers who are always willing to guide you. Amazing supervisors. Always feel supported. Good benefits. 401K and Pension plan. Free top of the line dental. Pretty good health insurance. A lot of ways to move up in this company, also a lot of ways to further your education.

Cons

Very hard to learn the whole system. Billing, notes, and lesson plans are difficult to navigate when you are new. Need to master all three to become full time. Coworkers are always willing to help. JRI should focus more on this during our training instead of other random smaller trainings. One of the biggest things that stood out to me when I was in training was the way trainers would encourage self care. "What are you going to do today for self care?" Big question during trainings to make sure employees were taking care of themselves because of the emotionally stressful job we have. New compensation model is ridiculous. There were no side by side models handed out to staff to compare the old and the new. Instead, we were given confusing information and told we had to sign the new model immediately. We were told if we billed 40 hours a week for 46 weeks a year, we would make X amount of money. Billing that much for that long is NOT sustainable. We will burnout and quit and JRI will have to train new employees. If we are going to have our basepay hours upped, we deserve those hours to be PRORATED on weeks when there is a holiday, otherwise we have to work on holiday's in order to make enough money that week to pay our bills. New compensation model does not allow me to afford my life if I do not work on holidays, take PTO, or am sick. It is unfair to expect the same amount of billing and taking more money out of our paychecks because of things we deserve. Prorate our hours! I will no longer attend trainings because they are not financially sustainable. JRI prides itself on everything they changed with this new model. This is not what we signed up for as a whole. JRI was rated a top place to work... don't think this will happen in the future and I see a lot of people leaving the program. If I bill 40 hours a week, it really means I'm working 60 with traveling between clients and not being able to bill for speaking with certain collaterals as health insurance does not allow it. Change the model of people will quit. Listen to the employees or you will lose them. Show us side by side models. Don't make the program directors take the heat for changes you make. It is unfair.

Feb 22, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Your feedback is valuable! We are sorry that you feel you received confusing information, and hope that you have had the opportunity to review ... More