K-Designers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Larry Judson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Ive worked for many home improvement companies and this one is the most sales friendly and honest that Ive found (in 5 reviews)

• Great products and great customer service (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I have to say that I cannot really think of anything to write here (in 3 reviews)

• Some travel and occasional long hours (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at K-Designers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff is very informative, if need anything will help you out. Learning new things every day.

Cons

Nothing I can think of. Great job!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Marketing Director/Sales"

Former Employee - Marketing Director/Sales in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Marketing Director/Sales in Portland, OR

I worked at K-Designers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Continued Sales training.

Cons

High pressure lead generation, lack of product training, lack of installation communication,

Advice to Management

Treat higher producing sales members with respect. Listen to issues before answering with same old, avoidance standby answers, Open company ownership's eyes to a new way of selling, and be willing to adjust with the marketplace. Short lived future ahead if changes not implemented.

"Stay Far Away From This Place!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gold River, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gold River, CA

I worked at K-Designers full-time

Pros

None! It's an unhealthy place to work.

Cons

The HR person is rude, pushy, and abusive toward employees in all departments and the owner lets her do whatever she wants, despite what is beneficial to his company. No money has been spent to upgrade work areas and it shows in the lack of decor, broken and run-down break room, and outdated workspaces. Turnover in most all departments is extremely high due to lack of professionalism and integrity. The company is nearly 40 years old but most execs and managers don't behave as though they have a care or any vested interest in having or growing an honest, successful business. People leave long term jobs to work for this company only to be sorely disappointed.

Advice to Management

Hire professionals, respect them, and gain some integrity. Get rid of people who make your workplace a toxic and negative place to go everyday.

"Corporate recruiter - Saw it all"

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Gold River, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Gold River, CA

I worked at K-Designers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some good people work there... usually not for long. The products, while highly over-priced, seem to be good quality.

Cons

Where to begin. The entire company is based on lies. They lied to me to get me to come on board, and then asked me to lie to others to get them to come on board. This is the same strategy for all their positions (with the exception of installers). If you as an employee begin to figure out the system and start making some money, they change the deal. Extremely high pressure (if you wanna get paid at least). They use statistics in their sales pitches that are skewed substantially (i.e. "The average saleperson who has been with the company for 2 years makes a 6 figure income." That is true. Of course what they don't tell you is that there are less than 10 sales people who have been there more than 2 years, out of a sales force of four or five hundred. Also, that the average duration of a sales career at K is 3-9 months because most can't afford the travel costs since they aren't making squat. That leads to massive turn-over! Here is how things work: Recruiters lie to candidates with misleading statistics to get them in for an interview. Managers lie to candidates about what they will make to get them to start work. Call center reps lie to potential customers to set appointments because that is how they get paid. Sales reps lie to potential customers to try to make a sale. Customers end up pissed off because they realize they were lied to, OR the eventual sucker buys the overpriced product.
    When I interviewed, the manager and assistant manager who hired me, both quit in the week between my interview and my start date. The new manager (VP's son-in-law) started a month after I did. When I was hired I told them I was only available Mon-Fri. 3 months into my employment, I was informed that I had to work Saturdays as well, and if I couldn't we could "Shake hands and part as friends." Apparently, they expected me to agree, because when I came back and gave my notice, they started back-pedaling like crazy and told me "Just say you will work Saturdays, and then be sick every Saturday." Gives you a good idea of the culture there.

Advice to Management

I 100% believe that all or almost all of the positive reviews are fake. In nearly a year of working there, I met no one who thought it was a great place to work. I met people who said they used to make a lot of money, but then the company changed the deal. This company is founded on B.S. and I presume that rolls down from Larry, the President. My advice would be to revamp the ENTIRE culture and process! Everyone in this industry does the same process. Call center appointment setters, aggressive sales people, etc. Change it up. Start really selling to the customers needs rather than creating a culture where lies are rewarded. Instead of uneducated appointment setters (no offense, but I staffed MANY of the call center employees), train and hire telephone sales experts who, instead of reading a long script, can explain the value to the customer. Then PAY them! Any time you hire people for minimum wage and then bonus them for whatever, they are going to find a way to make whatever happen, whether that is lying or whatnot. After this many years, you should have figured this out on your own.... maybe you just can't see the forest through the trees.

5. "Production Assistant"

Current Employee - Production in Burnsville, MN
    Current Employee - Production in Burnsville, MN

I have been working at K-Designers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Hours are great and very flexible. Good salary and benefits pacakge is a plus. Friday free lunch is a nice perk. Fun place to work .

Cons

N/A can't say anything negative!

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "This review is for the Marketing Directors"

Current Employee - Marketing Director
    Current Employee - Marketing Director

I have been working at K-Designers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent money, flexible hours, Constant Sales improvment

Cons

Lots of driving, Very hard work,

Advice to Management

Figure out why there is the highest turnover in any sales I've seen.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN

I worked at K-Designers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat decent training to prepare you for the presentation you give each customer.

Cons

Company has no scruples whatsoever. If you are cruel and love to manipulate people then this is the place for you. If not, run, don't walk away from this place.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your employees.

8. "Great company"

I have been working at K-Designers full-time

Pros

Great pay flexibility and schedule

Cons

I wish I would have found this job sooner

"Scam shady beware"

Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Call Center Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at K-Designers part-time

Pros

A flexible schedule of either AM or PM shift not much else

Cons

Where do I begin minimum wage only part time, getting cursed out by customers feeling like we are praying on older people who lost a loved one and have to ignore that or someone in a tough financial situation. Somehow we have to ignore those issues and convince these home owners to agree to an appointment to get an estimate for vinyl siding or new windows on their homes. They expect you to tell someone who can't afford anything that they can and not to worry about being pressured into buying anything. News flash anyone who makes commission only is going to be aggressive and desperate for a sale. They expect you to set 6 appointments per week which is hard when you have to read their long script word for word without pausing to catch your breath. Most homeowners hang up before you can get through it or can't hear you. If you struggle than they let you go before your 3rd week is up which means no unemployment benefits. Very shady company don't know why I worked for them.

Advice to Management

Invest more time in training and developing give employees more than one month maybe increase the pay and hours. Come up a short easy script that will assure customers that we are not the ones selling them anything but simply want to show them our products. Don't prey on older adults who lost a spouse or tell someone who is in a financial hole that they can afford new siding or windows.

"Marketing Director"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Portland, OR

I worked at K-Designers full-time

Pros

Used in-house sub contractors. Products are typically above average quality. Manager sincerely was committed to assist in your success. Resources and sales tools were provided and comp plan was provided. Commission and bonus structure. If you don't mind driving or staying overnight away from home for several days or more a week - could be a pro for some. Did have some choice in which leads you could work. Preset appts. Can do self gen leads and make higher %ages. Easy to get people qualified for financing. Good support if questions. If you follow the script / process you can actually make six figures +. Products were potentially more expensive than big box stores and the quality was on par, slightly better or much better. Ability to discount on manager approval. Easy to communicate with manager on all issues / training / closing help.

Cons

Commission and bonus structure kind of kept you as a slave to work every week or you could potentially lose out on higher volume-sales bonuses. Leads were often far away from home base. No shows did happen. My opinion is that the Sales Pitch was Deceptive. Products and install fees are expensive and not necessarily the best option for most customers. If you don't know how to quote a job and allow for contingencies (Ex. if u failed to notice dry rot, a bad subfloor, or measure correctly etc) the installers will charge extra - potential to lose a customer and / or have a reduced commission.

Advice to Management

Stop using the sales pitch, and I loosely quote, "As a MD I can offer you special discounts." That's really not true. I'd suggest having the appt setters pre-qualify leads for financing because the MD will be able to provide them the best possible price for the best products to suit their needs. Pay the customer much more for referrals and for installed referral jobs.