K-Designers Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Larry Judson

Pros
  • Ive worked for many home improvement companies and this one is the most sales friendly and honest that Ive found (in 5 reviews)

• If you willing to work hard and follow the corporate program, this is a great company to work for (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I have to say that I cannot really think of anything to write here (in 3 reviews)

• Some travel and occasional long hours (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for. That's why they have been in business for 38 years and counting."

Current Employee - Marketing in Gold River, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Gold River, CA

I have been working at K-Designers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Just like any job if you're willing to work hard and put in the time you get rewarded by the opportunity to move up the corporate ladder. K-Designers is one of the biggest remodeling companies in the nation. Run by Mr. Larry Judson, who is in the Hall of Fame in our industry which very few can say that. He's been on some of the biggest Boards in our industry. Pros are that once you show that you're capable, this company allows you to progress quicker than most and have the ability to wear many hats therefore giving you lots of opportunities to be very well-rounded. A lot of the jobs are merit based, so you get paid based on what you're worth versus being told what you're worth. Opportunities for commissions and bonuses. Opportunities for Advancement. That's why I have been with this company for a very long time. I definitely recommend if you're considering employment with our company, that you take the time to come in and speak to one of our representatives. I'm sure you will be impressed like I was long ago. This is a family run business, and they treat you with great respect. If you willing to work hard and follow the corporate program, this is a great company to work for.

Cons

N/A Honestly I can't think of anything bad about our company here at the corporate office except for maybe people in the call center should stop littering in the parking lot. Perhaps Starbucks coffee in the break room. Small pet peeves for a company whose earned my loyalty over the years.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees. Keep listening to their suggestions in the suggestion box. And keep doing what you're doing because it seems to be working after 38 years in business. There will always be detractors, but with over 140,000 happy customers and homes remodeled in 38 years, you must be doing something right.

2. "Very unorganized and frustrating"

I worked at K-Designers full-time

Pros

Nice facility at the burnsville, mn location

Cons

Very disorganized and unprofessional. No follow up and leave the customers wondering when things ate going to get done.

3. "ms jackson"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at K-Designers (Less than a year)

Pros

they give good hours and great pay

Cons

very un professional staffing dirty environment foul odor

Advice to Management

Fire all staff and hire new staff

"SCAM"

Former Employee - Marketing Director (Salesperson)
    Former Employee - Marketing Director (Salesperson)

Pros

Well, I honestly can't think of many. I guess there is a very slight chance you will make money but it is highly unlikely

Cons

As a"marketing Director" you are a mobile salesman. You pitch a sale that is only good today. Except it's always the same thing. You make sales by outright lying to customers. And you make very little. Sure they make big promises and a few do make money but it's rare. For every salesperson making ends meet, 20 quit. When you do make a sale it takes weeks or sometimes months to get paid. The pay is always less than you thought because they are amazing at finding ways to reduce your pay. You work 6 days a week from 9am until 8 or 9pm. No reimbursement for mileage or expenses

Advice to Management

Quit scamming your customers and quit scamming your employees

"Very competitive and exciting job environment"

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Rancho Cordova, CA

I have been working at K-Designers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All the leads are provided
    Managers are very knowledgeable
    Top notch training
    Paid training
    Great production bonuses
    Car allowance paid per mile

Cons

There are a lot of products to learn so it can be overwhelming at first but they do train you on only a few products at a time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep the growth going.

"Bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gold River, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gold River, CA

Pros

K-Designers is always hiring and has some good positions available.

Cons

Crazy environment. Things are always changing. Management does not know how to relate to employees at all. Management looks for ways to take money from your paycheck.

Advice to Management

Get a clue

8. "Very awesome company"

Former Employee - Telemarketer in Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Telemarketer in Rancho Cordova, CA

Pros

Worked here awhile back. Paid training, opportunities are there if you take them. You can make minimum wage, or make thousands a month if you push for it.

Cons

No downsides as far as I know. Maybe better training or better cleaning.

9. "Learning curve. Rewarding long hours!"

Current Employee - Senior Field Trainer in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Trainer in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at K-Designers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Making more money then I dreamed I could make. Love the drive time (I like driving - tunes, freedom, no cubicle). Love meeting people with a lifetime of experiences. I Enjoy helping them finally fix up their home. Easy to move to management if you desire. Ive worked for many home improvement companies and this one is the most sales friendly and honest that Ive found. Everyone always gets paid for what they sell and most the installers are employees.

Cons

Long hours. Lots of travel (if you dont like driving). High turnover for those that dont apply themselves to the 4 week training. Seriously, if you treat it like a college course that you need to Ace and can close a deal, you can do very well here. You have to drink the kool-aid, dont make up your own system. Its worked for 38yrs.

Advice to Management

Keep making the positive changes for retention. More guaranteed commissions on primary products when having to undersell. Keep the bonus structures in place. Dont have people work the major holidays off aka christmas eve.

"Don't trust this company"

Pros

Builds character in you and your family. Great views of your state as you drive all over.

Cons

Long hours with no pay, rehash leads are the majority of appointments, they don't know how to keep from making the same mistakes over and over when it comes to paying commissions, resetting horrible leads, example managers that have good numbers but sell well below the published pricing and the owner uses it to explain that good numbers are possible.

Advice to Management

Revise the pay structure for all.

11. "Any positive reviews are clearly BULL!"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Sacramento, CA

I worked at K-Designers (More than a year)

Pros

It seems good at first, before you recognize the shady business practices.

Cons

They send in the owners assistant behind sales people to undercut their lowest price that the MANAGER agreed to, and steal the sale.

Advice to Management

Find a real system to sell products, not the smoke and mirrors, used car baloney.