K. Hovnanian Homes Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 16, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ara K. Hovnanian

Pros
  • Work/life balance; friendly coworkers; free coffee (in 8 reviews)

• Their some great people in the field who do an excellent job with what timelines their given to build a nice looking home (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Most of upper management was not very approachable (in 11 reviews)

• New employees spend more time covering hired in Sales Consultants days off than what they do working and learning from hired in Sales Consultants (in 6 reviews)

"Beware the company that always has job postings."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time

Pros

Sales team seemed very professional and my sales partner could not have been more helpful. Sales management was pretty hands off. Manager would pop in maybe once a week to ask if we needed anything. Strong marketing support.

Cons

Quick hook. Was recruited to work a new part of town where buyers had lots of credit challenges, the current section was winding down, the new section wasn't ready yet, and I didn't have many Realtor connections. Sales came slowly and I was cut when the company decided not to open a new section of another community and they decided to keep a more established salesperson from the other community even though my manager knew I had sold my home to move closer to work. Manager provided very little guidance or training especially on what sets K. Hovnanian apart from other builders. Company relies on sales partner to train new salesmen.

Advice to Management

Take all factors into consideration and give salespeople more time to get up to speed especially when sections are in close out.

"Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maple Grove, MN

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned a great deal about selling new homes and construction with the continued training programs offered.

Cons

Leadership at the time was flawed. At times, end product was less than desirable.

Advice to Management

Make certain to listen to members of the sales team. They are the experts and know what will help increase sales.

"Director of Purchasing"

Former Employee - Home Builder in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Home Builder in Irvine, CA

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes (More than a year)

Pros

Large national home builder based in northeast. Have decent name recognition.

Cons

Regional operations and senior management inexperienced in smooth operations. Made simple tasks difficult. Good structure and positive culture is lacking.

Advice to Management

Need to evaluate current structure and culture and modify. Company has a negative connotation i the industry.

"Used to be great..."

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Brighton Homes/ KHOV was once a great place to work. If you were willing to put in the effort, the compensation was great and you were treated fairly. I worked for several different sales managers and most were supportive and created an environment that provided an opportunity to succeed.

Cons

In the last couple of years senior management has begun to turn-over. Upper management seems to be in a turf battle. Veteran Sales Managers have left and those that remain seem to have given up. New Sales Managers have created a hostile environment. Top producers have left and others are on their way out. Poor treatment, commission cuts and the dramatic change in culture is driving good people away.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to step in and get this division under control! Get rid of the toxic managers and start treating sales a valued team members rather than disposable, worthless assets. It's not to late to correct recent mistakes and turn things around but that will have to be done from the highest levels.

"A company locked in time"

Current Employee - Sales in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, family environment, good with active adult communities

Cons

This division is stuck in a time warp. Meetings are always held in Edison, NJ forcing people to drive constantly. Technology is not embraced and it is very much the good old boy network. Very white and very male, management is spotty. Way too many promotions based on who one knows compared to merit driven.

Advice to Management

Learn to get land deals open, hold people accountable.

"Not a happy experience."

Current Employee - Mortgage Processor in Boynton Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Mortgage Processor in Boynton Beach, FL

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits at a low cost.

Cons

The Mortgage company is all about hard work, long hours and empty promises. HR Director heads up a lot of programs and takes forever to reward employees when they've achieved goal.

Advice to Management

Might be time to make some changes in Upper Management.

"Great when market was good; nightmare when housing bubble burst"

Former Employee - Manager - Accounting in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager - Accounting in Edison, NJ

I worked at K. Hovnanian Homes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When Housing Industry flourished was a great "family" atmosphere to work in. "Employee" was a dirty word; we were referred to as ASSOCIATES...

Cons

...when the Housing Bubble burst like the Hindenburg, let's just say you found out who your "family members" truly were. Whereas it is understood downsizing is a sad reality when an organization is losing money, at KHOV jobs were eliminated based primarily on salary. Hence long-time dedicated "associates" with passion for their jobs were terminated over newer lower-salaried employees who did not match that same passion and dedication.

Advice to Management

As a builder of Housing Communities you may think your greatest asset is the homes you build. WRONG! Your greatest asset is your employees...or "associates" as you wanted us to be called when times were good.

9. "Average"

Current Intern - Project Manager in Paterson, NJ
    Current Intern - Project Manager in Paterson, NJ

I have been working at K. Hovnanian Homes as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone was down to earth and friendly. I received great advice on both career and personal development. Office was a humble size and everyone did their job.

Cons

It often got boring and my work seemed to be of little value.

"The most stressful experience of my life"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mesa, AZ

Pros

This job was 100% commision however if you worked 12 - 18 hour days you could make $150,000.

Cons

Management did not understand that we have personal lives. I took calls on Christmas, calls while at a funeral. I was constantly tethered to a company provided blackberry that my kids would hide from me because it was so imposing. Management was condescending and unappreciative of the hours we put in and would always back the customer or homebuilder rather than the employee. Expectations were unrealistic and caused many employees at the time to go on meds just to cope with the job.

Advice to Management

I hope the Sr. Management in the Mesa office has been terminated by now.

"NOT a company that cares about its employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Bank, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Red Bank, NJ

Pros

Good location, looks good on resume. Benefits are fair, fun environment, co-workers were excellent.

Cons

Management is incompetent. Some don't even understand how a building is built. Management couldn't tell which employees knew their jobs and which didn't. This results in very high turnover due to unfair promotions/firings.

Advice to Management

See above.