K-VA-T Food Stores Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "CAT TEAM"

Current Employee - Categoric Assignment Team in East Ridge, TN
    Current Employee - Categoric Assignment Team in East Ridge, TN

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome group of people to work for.. very understanding when life events happen and have to take time off.

Cons

I have no cons to write about. Thanks

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

2. "Satisfactory"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Gatlinburg, TN
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Gatlinburg, TN

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Friendly, helpful, and supportive management
    - Clean, well-paced work environment
    - Good first job environment
    - Plenty of room for advancement with necessary experience (everyone is given equal opportunity to move up

Cons

- Majority of front-end cashiers were high school students
    - Pay is abysmal

3. "Head Cashier/Designated Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Head Cashier/Designated Assistant Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Head Cashier/Designated Assistant Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees to work with! Most are hard working and friendly!

Cons

Pay is extremely low for what they put on you. Once you hit your salary cap...no more raises...ever!

Advice to Management

Get out on the floor and work beside your employees. Store Manager sits in office and does nothing.

5. "Stocker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

if you work they give you hours but except to work on weekends and holidays also.

Cons

Store manager, lead assistant and assistant managers are not on same page. Follow policy and do not play favorites.

Advice to Management

Give hours based on performance. Reduce their hours if they do not work or on their cellphone.

6. "Bakery island"

Current Employee - Assistant Bakery Manager in Kingsport, TN
    Current Employee - Assistant Bakery Manager in Kingsport, TN

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best thing about working in the bakery is that hard work pays off. I started with no experience and was in the management program within 2 years. For those who can keep up, and are willing, every position in the department will be taught to them. Full time employment is easier to aquire here than similar chains.

Cons

The worst part about working in the bakery is also hard work. The whole business model for this department relies on adding man hours to product for a mark up. This means that efficiency and time really are money. Because of the hourly nature of the pay here, not all employees are motivated to produce at the same level. Those who work harder are not always rewarded or noticed. So like many food service jobs..... Don't do it just for the money or because it's easy.

Advice to Management

The bakery is almost a restaurant and pastry shop within a grocery store. Too often store and upper management generate from grocery or front end related departments and are lost when dealing with the bakery department. There are several employees to deal with, a lot of time and production to manage, and a huge amount of customer service to handle in this department. Though store management programs do require time training in the bakery, there is often a disconnect and even avoidance to be involved with the bakery deli. This can be frustrating for bakery management and counter intuitive to a teamwork centered environment. Putting supervisors, managers, DMS on opposing pages. So my advice is..... Get into the bakeries shoes for a while and look at efficiency, ability, pay rates, and definitely consistency of programs, expectations, and conduct.

7. "Great place"

Current Employee - Systems Developer I in Abingdon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Developer I in Abingdon, VA

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible, understanding work hours

Treated like an adult, no time sheets, if you need to take a sick day, take it. It's just expected that you give your time, sometimes over 40 hours and for that, sometimes you'll have to take a day or a half a day for other things in life

Cons

The only cons I have are that most benefits, other than insurance, do not kick in until you've been there a year, and they are not allowing people to work from home

Advice to Management

Truly, just keep it up. I love where I work, and what I do.

8. "I like my job.. No.. Love my job!"

Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Administrative Assistant in Abingdon, VA
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer/Administrative Assistant in Abingdon, VA

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work that I do and the people I work with/for. I have been at corporate a little over a year and I have already increased in job responsibility.

Cons

The only con that I have is the fact that if your hourly, your review/raise is on your actual birthday AND after you've been there a year! For example, me.. Hired in October but born in June so my review and first raise comes 1 year & 8 months after my hire date. This is the absolute ONLY job I have EVER had that does this! & it's ridiculous!!!

Advice to Management

It isn't fair that someone hired the same day as I, but salaried, has had 2 reviews and I have yet to have ONE.

9. "Manager-Accounting Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Abingdon, VA

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Use to be a great place to work...many years ago. insurance

Cons

Overload their managers and supervisors--do not give them the resources needed to complete job.

Advice to Management

Take care of your long term employees.

10. "Pay not worth the grief"

Former Employee - Cashier in Paintsville, KY
    Former Employee - Cashier in Paintsville, KY

I worked at K-VA-T Food Stores part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good summer job if you're in high school or college. It's very easy. Moderately flexible hours. Hour Breaks.

Cons

Pay was bad. I knew managers who had been working there for four years that made only 30 cents more per hour than I did starting out. If you're hired part time you won't ever get full time unless you're made management. They've aggressively anti-union because they want to pay you garbage rates. I witnessed multiple instances of rampant sexual harassment go unpunished. HR seems not to care.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more. Food City tries to act like their valued members of whatever community they're in but when you're not paying the community members who work for you, you're not contributing to the community. You're playing the walmart game. I would recommend stricter sexual harassment response. Also, so many times I saw young employees better suited for jobs passed for promotions over older and less experienced employees. That's age discrimination folks. Get over it.

11. "Great"

Current Employee - Sales & Customer Service Manager in Bluff City, TN
    Current Employee - Sales & Customer Service Manager in Bluff City, TN

I have been working at K-VA-T Food Stores (More than a year)

Pros

Great vision, leadership, and direction

Cons

I have nothing negative to report.