K&B Transportation 20 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

"Just like any other trucking company; you'll have good days and bad days, it's commerce Mate>big business!"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in South Sioux City, NE

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you give it your all Mate, you'll do fine! Don't be trying to get slick just do your job...

Cons

Transportation has always been tough so if you're the type of person looking for something for free(money)find another profession Mate...

Advice to Management

A lot of Truckers are really not Truckers so when you folks stubble upon one just be mindful not to put them in the same category as the wannabe Truckers!!!

"Falsifying Drivers Logs - Not paying guaranteed $1125 per wk"

Former Employee - OTR Professional Driver in South Sioux City, NE
    Former Employee - OTR Professional Driver in South Sioux City, NE

I worked at K&B Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly recruiter. Some drivers got new mattresses in their trucks, but others did not get new, and suffered bed bug bites. November 2012 Trucks were swept-out clean, but smelling of pet, urine, and foot fungus odors. Direct Deposit is offered, but Friday payroll is not paid to the driver until Monday. First paycheck, K&B takes $35 out of your paycheck to pay for your drug test, which the recruiters did not tell us about.
    Stop interrupting drivers 8-10 hour DOT breaks with work-related activities. Allow drivers to get rest during legally mandated breaks instead of interrupting them, and waking them up constantly, denying them sleep, and then expecting them to drive all night long, after you kept them up all day long, and then repeat the next day, over and over again. Most K&B drivers were complaining of not getting enough sleep, and being forced by dispatch to drive all night tired and sleepy. If you do get home, there is no $1125 guarantee that week because you went home that week, and no guarantee the next week either, if your home time crosses over into the next payweek.

Cons

If you are late making a delivery, even when it was the company's fault, you will not be paid the guarantee. For this reason, drivers are getting 300-700-500-700-365 dollar paychecks, way short of the $1,125 lie. Nobody can understand K&B's paystubs either. You know your paycheck is way short of what you drove, but the pages and pages of numbers are intended to be confusing so that you cannot figure out where the money is missing. Payroll does not talk to drivers, and will not explain why your payroll is short. Payroll department is sheltered by the dispatchers who answer your questions, and will not transfer you to payroll, even though the dispatcher cannot answer your questions. It is a scam. It is pretty clear that K&B is defrauding its drivers.
    The 0.45 they say they pay per mile is actually only 0.41 per mile taxed, and another 0.04 per mile they pay per diem untaxed, again, the recruiters did not tell us that over the phone before getting there.

Advice to Management

A lot of drivers, maybe half, were not paid the $400 Sign-On Bonus in the first paycheck they were promised by the recruiter, and many drivers were also not paid the $500 SOB that was supposed to paid on the 2nd paycheck. 2nd Day Orientation no breakfast that morning at the hotel, contrary to what was promised, because of made up excuse that they were behind on paperwork and had to start early- it's BS, they are saving money with the Hotel. Some rooms in the Days Inn had bed bugs and drivers were bitten all over.

Stop depending on Recaps. Use 34 resets. Stop forcing 8-hr split sleeper berths. Let driver choose rest times and locations based on his bodily needs. Let drivers perform minimal edits of their logs. Stop Falsifying the Driver's Logs and then expect us to certify your illegal edits. Stop insisting on no deviations from company planned routes, which are many times, stupid, time consuming, and take longer, and are less safe. Stop putting the new drivers and others on 1200 mile loads, like from Clute, TX to Denver, CO

Two drivers from my Orientation ended up with deaths in their families. Stop lying to drivers about getting them home in a couple of days, and instead dragging your feet and intentionally dispatching them further from their homes and families because you have loads that need done and you don't want them to go home ever. Recruiters stop lying about getting drivers home when they need to, it is not happening.

"A SHADY company with UNETHICAL and ILLEGAL practices."

Current Employee - Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Truck Driver

Pros

The $1125 a week guarantee is true as long as you run from Monday noon to Monday noon without any late deliveries or time off.

Every truck has APU and 2500watt inverter.

Cons

Miles every week will be anywhere from 1500-2500. Rarely if ever, will you make $100 or so over the $1125 guarantee.

They will micromanage almost everything you do, from when to start your day, constant nagging phone calls, abs the worse part, wanting you to pick up and deliver 2-3 hours before your appointment, even every pickup and delivery will go 2-3 hours past your appointment. So basically your working/waiting 4-5 hours at every pickup and another 4-5 hours at every delivery. On top of that, most loads are 200-500 miles, so your doing this just about every day.

Also, they don't pay detention on pick-ups, another scam they don't tell you about in orientation.

The insurance company they use now, Aetna, has the worse benefits and biggest deductibles I have ever seen of any company. Your better off with ObamaCare. On their website they touted Blue Cross Blue Shield with amazing benefits and low deductibles, then at orientation I find out they switched to terrible Aetna to save money. Classic bait and switch. Dental is $500 max, and only covers minor filings and cleanings.

The Qualcomm is the slowest I have ever seen, with 1-2 minute lag for each and ever operation you do, which should only take a few seconds on a normal Qualcomm.

Will not automatically reimburse you for tolls and other expenses, even when you send in receipt. Took 3 weeks to get $120 reimbursed, giving me the runaround the entire time. Luckily I take pictures if every receipt.

The biggest con is home-time. It you want Fri-Sat-Sun off after 3 weeks out, be prepared for no paycheck that week. Even though you have Mon-Thurs to get your miles in, they will have you run short runs wasting your time getting only 1000 miles or so those four days before hometime. That's a $450 paycheck before taxes and insurance. Realistically, you should get at least 1500-2000 miles in those four days.

LOGS: ONLY SAFETY CAN EDIT YOUR LOGS. You have to call up to get your logs changed. Even then, they will edit your logs without permission, especially when your low on hours. Totally illegal by the way.

Because of all these cons, I have had to resign after only 2 months.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing your driver's. Worse thing a company can do.

Provide better health and dental insurance benefits to drivers. As is, Aetna is a joke.

Stop with the late night phone calls 2 hours before a delivery every single night, interrupting a driver's sleep, when you can only check in 30 minutes early.

"Good company, but home time limited."

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver

I worked at K&B Transportation full-time

Pros

Good pay, newer trucks, maintenance good.

Cons

Home time not consistent, lots of relays, new dispatchers.

Advice to Management

Learn how to talk to employees in an professional manner.

"Driver's Perspective"

Current Employee - Commercial Driver in South Sioux City, NE
    Current Employee - Commercial Driver in South Sioux City, NE

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time

Pros

You Don't Sit Idle long, Lori is Great Dispatcher, Listens, Good Equipment, Easy Getting Time Off when Requested, They Like Prior Service Military Folk who are Used to Erratic Sleep Schedule.

Cons

With your permission they'll split your sleeper berth, erratic sleep cycles, slow 62 mph, foot on floor for 2 more mph, 64mph, 34hr reset is taboo, no guarantee then.

Advice to Management

Ask your drivers if they feel rested to do what is being asked of them, be mindful of how many hours they've been on the clock. Don't assume they are getting rest during offload periods. Help drivers feel comfortable to share if they need to rest.

"Driver"

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

Pros

None or if you like being worked like a robot and treated like a peace of what you find in a diaper

Cons

No home time when u do get to go home you work part of the days off if you don't answer you're phone on time off cops are called on you THIS includes you're ten hour breaks

Advice to Management

Pay the bonuses you advertise and promise

"OTR Driver"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in South Sioux City, NE

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands Down, Best company I've ever worked for. Great group of people in the office. Helpful dispatch. Wonderful pay. & Great home time!

Cons

N/A
    I honestly couldn't say a single negative thing about my time with this company

"Don't drive for this company"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver

Pros

Nothing they have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to many flawes to get any credit.

Cons

Run you fatigue, garanteed pay with restrictions, no vehicle maintenance when needed, hometime, attitudes, benefits are rediculously high, falsify logs if load can't be on time, 2.5 day training=just hurry and make us money, put you on the spot for bad inspections=attention all drivers, John doe had a bad inspection.

Advice to Management

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY, THEY WILL NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AND KISS YOUR LIFE GOODBYE.

"dont go here i was messed around with before i got to orentation"

Pros

don't not know of any seeing how I did not get to orentation

Cons

was given a plane ticket 2 different times one from Indianapolis and the other from fort wayne when I got to air port in indy was told my bags would be 2 day behind me because thay where not payed for. then in fort wayne company told me thay where payed for so I went to air port and same thing then company to me to leave without my bags and I could buy stuff when I got to them and charge me for it later. and that is not even saying anything about the gas I used to drive to 2 different air ports in 2 days

Advice to Management

learn to train your people to get I done right the first time and mabe you would not get these bad remarks

"This place will rip off and work you like a slave"

Pros

None,, Do your self a favor and stay far away form kb

Cons

The Guarantee pay is a rip off,, Thay add per Diem to the pat which is illegal , Rip you off for miles on every trip, Treat you like trash

Advice to Management

Close up