K&B Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Sioux City, IA
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Sioux City, IA

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Honestly I have to say the entire package at K&B is better than what other companies offer. I have changed jobs several times in my driving career until here. Yes there are ups and downs but my 4 concerns are taken care of here, that is good pay without issues, home on time, maintained equipment and respectfull office staff. I get all of that here.

Cons

This is tougher than many OTR jobs. Your not getting up in the morning, driving 500 miles and calling it a day at 5 PM, its tougher than most jobs but you will also earn more than most companies.

"Don't work for them"

I worked at K&B Transportation full-time

Pros

There is no pros to working for them

Cons

They lie about the money you make
    They call you on your 10 hour break
    They call you when you are on your home time
    They run you into the ground
    They Care more about the loads then they do the drivers
    They treat the drivers like crap
    They fire you over something that's not your fault
    They talk to you as if you are stupid

Advice to Management

Keep your word to your drivers

3. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Driver
    Former Employee - Driver

I worked at K&B Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great and dms assigned to u are always trying to help drivers with any problems that come up

Cons

None! I would recommend this company to my friends

Advice to Management

Great job guys keep up the good work

"Pretty good still room for improvement"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in South Sioux City, NE
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in South Sioux City, NE

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time

Pros

They have a minimum guarantee pay regardless of the miles you drive. From what I understand after talking to former drivers that is an improvement from before. You get to see a lot of the midwest. This is a welcome change after running primarily in the northeast. While it is a forced dispatch they will ask about loads going to areas they don't run a lot (northeast, Florida, west coast, etc). Have never really asked for a home time so nothing to say there

Cons

They micromanage their drivers horribly. It would be worse and would cause a bunch of drivers to jump ship if they ever decide to install cameras. The CEO will let people go for any kind of critical event, speeding, or anything like that but will let the dispatchers tell you to run illegally (violating bridge law, using off duty driving to get to a truck stop due to poor load planning on the planners part, etc). If you are running behind for whatever reason you get yelled at and they do not like for the drivers asking to do a relay when they are running behind. You cannot edit your logs. Only office staff can do that. Its annoying because I am used to doing that at my former company when I could not catch a status change in time. Instead you have to call into logs for them to edit or any time their is a violation when you could not change your status quick enough. Some loads will burn your 14 hour clock to 0 where you have to pay close attention to your hours. Their health insurance is not the greatest. I would recommend purchasing it from a third party

Advice to Management

Planners and dispatchers alike need to understand the importance of running safely and legally like safety harps onto us about every week. The weekly safety talk does no good if dispatchers and planners are not going to put it to use. Discipling drivers for any wrong doing (whether by Qualcomm systematics or by DOT) and not getting onto dispatchers/planners is just plain wrong. This is the driver's livelihood and driver's license at stake here. A regular passenger car can have an accident/ticket and life moves on. However in a commercial vehicle that same ticket/accident can cost a driver his job and in some rare cases his license

5. "Could use some improvement!"

Former Employee - Recruiter in North Sioux City, SD
    Former Employee - Recruiter in North Sioux City, SD

I worked at K&B Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff can be friendly and personable.

Cons

Stress bringing out the worse in people.

Advice to Management

Slow down! Worry about your employees more.

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

Current Employee - OTR Driver
    Current Employee - OTR Driver

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none none none none none

Cons

They wake you up in the middle of the night, can never get sleep. They care more about money than the safety of peoples lives on the road. They will call me multiple times and the cops to wake me up. I can never escape them. Low pay for all to risk your lives and others on the road

Advice to Management

Go get a real job

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in South Sioux City, NE
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in South Sioux City, NE

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Before coming here I saw the good and bad reviews. At this company like others your success or failure depends on you. I strive to drive safe and deliver freight on time and at K&B I feel like I am rewarded for my efforts more than st other carriers. Pay is excellent and I don’t have to chase my money. Trucks good, dispatcher is friendly although sometimes a little short with me. Overall I am satisfied.

Cons

My truck is a 2014, would like a newer one but I am not a fan of autos. Also would like to idle the truck on hot summer days like we do in the winter.

Advice to Management

Order new trucks with manuals for us old guys. Maybe a few longer runs to the west coast would be nice.

8. "I LOVE K&B!"

Current Employee - OTR Driver in Fayetteville, NC
    Current Employee - OTR Driver in Fayetteville, NC

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with K&B for a total of 5 years with an 18 month break due to family issues, and they constantly stayed in touch and when i was ready to come back they had me a plane ticket quicker than you can say "jump".

1) Guaranteed minimum. As long as you're available Monday noon-Monday noon you will be paid for 2,500 miles whether you run them or not. Anything over 2,500 is paid at your rate (depending on how long you've been with the company).

2) Hometime. In the entire 5 years I've been with the company they've only gotten me home later than my requested date twice, and one of those was due to a maintenance issue with the truck that had to be fixed. I arrange my hometime to be available noon on Monday to ensure the minimum, but because they got me home late I had to extend until Tuesday to get things taken care of but they STILL covered me under the minimum.

3) My Dispatcher is AWESOME. We work well together as a team, I am aware of the needs of the Company, she is aware of my needs, and we both do our utmost to make those mesh.

4) Maintainance/ Breakdown are on the ball. If you have an issue they address it as quickly as possible, and will put you up in a hotel at their expense no questions asked when necessary (i.e. the APU goes out).

5) The greatest thing I have to say about K&B is the companies reaction when my wife had a heart attack. As soon as I notified them they moved Heaven and Earth to get me home as soon as possible, and allowed me to take as much time as I needed to stay with her until I knew she was going to be OK...no questions asked.

Cons

OTR Trucking is OTR trucking. You're going to drive all hours of the day and night, in all kinds of weather, so suck it up buttercup or stick to flipping burgers.

My only real "issue" is one that's tough for any trucking company these days...planning. I like to know what my next load is going to be before I deliver the one I'm on, but it rarely happens, but that's not entirely the fault of the planners...sometimes they simply don't have the info.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"The worst of the worst."

Former Employee - OTR Driver in Sioux City, IA
    Former Employee - OTR Driver in Sioux City, IA

I worked at K&B Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s a job. APU and refrigerator

Cons

There is a general lack of respect for drivers. We as drivers are not able to use the bathroom in peace without getting a call. They will send you message after message if your not rolling 1 min past your break. Are you rolling yet? The list goes on and on. They called my wife when I was on break asking where I was at. I was on my 8 hour break at the time.
    Your consistently bothered during your break. You will get calls and or have to switch out trailers. I’ve had up to 3 in one night with a total of 1 /1/2 hours of sleep.

Advice to Management

Please rethink the way your running the drivers. Have management hop on the truck and see what drivers are experiencing. Sitting in the office but not really understanding the big picture. You see the big money but do you see what your doing to the drivers life.

10. "Never guarentee"

I have been working at K&B Transportation full-time

Pros

Nice dispatchers. New trucks. Automatic fleet growing

Cons

Can never get guaranteed pay if you ever have to use the bathroom like a normal human

K&B Transportation Response

Jun 20, 2018 – Director of Recruiting

Our guarantee is pretty simple, you must be on the road Monday-Monday with no preventable late deliveries. I don't ever recall a time someone didn't get a guarantee due to have to using the... More