K&L Gates LLP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
James R. Segerdahl

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Zero work life balance if you are on call" (in 7 reviews)

• "K&L used to be a quintessential "quality of life" law firm with a better quality of life in exchange for a lower salary" (in 11 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work"

I have been working at K&L Gates LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly people, hardworking people, beautiful location/building, reasonable face-time policy, easy to commute to

Cons

the air conditioning makes the building slightly too cold

2. "Overall good place, especially Seattle office"

Former Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart, engaged colleagues, particularly in Seattle office

Cons

Can be long hours and demanding

3. "No training and lack of communication"

Current Employee - Legal Assistant/Paralegal in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant/Paralegal in Seattle, WA

I have been working at K&L Gates LLP full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most coworkers were pleasant. The firm is clean.

Cons

From day one I was put into an office with no real direction or training. The only real communication is via emails, even if they are coming from the office next to you. It left a lot of room for misunderstandings and left more questions for entry level people. They give you 15 minute crash courses on software your first week via phone conferencing (there are several) then randomly ask you to recall everything without having had access to them once assignments come in. There is a huge disconnect with what everyone does, what people should know, expectations, etc. It took a while to even understand the chain of command. If there were mistakes made early on, I was told weeks later and they wouldn’t tell me what the issues were so I could prevent the same mistakes. I received mixed messages daily. I would be talked down to but then praised in the same conversation (when you actually were able to talk to your team). It made no sense and I never knew where I stood. The culture is cold and stark, with a very dead silence throughout the firm and little personal interaction. It is probably not a surprise that the firm hired a professional to train the entire firm on how to treat people. That is due to take place in a few weeks.

Advice to Management

You need training for people, interaction, and some attorneys and managers need to be professional enough to be forthcoming and clear in their expectations. Some people are very passive aggressive and won’t answer direct questions from subordinates. Nobody wins in that situation.

"Billing Clerk"

Former Employee - Billing Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Billing Clerk in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They spend a fortune on their offices. You can definitely tell they like to look like they have money.

Cons

They spend crumbs on their employees. You can definitely tell they don’t care about their employees.

Advice to Management

You guys had the gumption to call me and offer me a job in a different field after letting me go. I quit a good paying job and joined your firm, and after a year of me trying to learn the ropes you axed me after a horrible Q1! There is nothing you can do, because the culture was created to be like this.

5. "Don't work at this firm...you'll regret it!"

Former Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. Terrible place to work

Cons

Worst office management I've ever worked at.

"Associate"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High salary which was on Cravath scale - and literally nothing else

Cons

The firm is riddled with management issues. There is no system for proper work flow. Associates only get work from a few partners they have a relationship and it's only in the office they are located. If those partners are slow, then the associates are slow. For a firm that touts its global practice, the offices are disjointed and often cutthroat.

The management is not proactive and does virtually nothing to promote a positive culture. Another office in the firm even dropped the ball on on-campus interviews this year, and is not doing anything about. My office was the subject of a serious article about sexual harassment and yet the culture seems virtually unchanged when I talk to former colleagues. The firm's response is only putting a bandaid on the problem. The firm is struggling with its diversity initiatives, and continuously fails to put any diverse faces forward. But because the firm can count non-US attorneys in its numbers, it gets to say what a "diverse" firm it is. There are partners that are known to use arbitrary and sexist reasons not to hire candidates.

Advancement to partnership is very political as is the case for big firms. This is a significant disadvantage for women and minorities. In the US offices, no minority candidates were made partner in 2018. Out of the 17 people that made partner in the US, only 6 were women (1 of whom has since left the firm).

Apart from salary, the benefits are terrible. The firm's vision and dental plans are bare bones because the management is too cheap. The penny pinching is widespread - the firm does virtually nothing when it comes to approving funding for events or initiatives, hosting barely 1-2 firmwide events (including the annual holiday party, hosted office instead of an outside location), offers no bonuses to staff for holidays, and actively discourages associates from attending networking events.

Advice to Management

Create a culture in which employees work for more than just a paycheck. When I left the firm, the conservative management of the firm fostered a toxic environment.

7. "Lloyd Meeds Public Policy Fellow"

Pros

Trusted with large tasks, gained exposure to many different fields, helpful members of policy team

Cons

Could have been more opportunities to get to know employees outside of the policy office

"Attorney"

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time

Pros

Good work environment and colleagues.

Good compensation.

Cons

Unreasonable pressure to bring in business

9. "Attorney"

Current Employee - Attorney in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Attorney in Newark, NJ

I have been working at K&L Gates LLP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very well managed law firm, with positive working environment.

Cons

Tightening budgets on benefits and firm resources

10. "Associate"

I worked at K&L Gates LLP full-time

Pros

Many of the attorneys and staff at K&L Gates are intelligent and willing to mentor younger associates. Benefits were decent, given the lower billable threshold than some competitors.

Cons

The firm is not friendly to married women with children.