K & N Management Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Thomas Schiller

1. "Front of House, Mighty Fine burgers - cedar park"

Former Employee - Front of House in Cedar Park, TX
    Former Employee - Front of House in Cedar Park, TX

Pros

Really solid pay for a food service job, and the hours were great. I often got overtime and never had to work too early or too late.

Cons

"Good culture" comes across as super judgy. Only people who "fit in" are successful and a lot of favorites are played. I know this is common in most jobs, but it was so extreme here that I hated going to work because of it. Management doesn't necessarily care about the team, just results and how much burgers we sell. VERY pushy about donating to "African" children... Like, dude I work a service job in college. Can't afford that. Managers don't seem to be qualified to do their jobs and mostly boss people around and come across very condescending.

Advice to Management

Be less judgmental and not so obvious about who your favorites are. It's a burger joint, and we work in the service industry, do you really expect all of your team members to be snobby, god-fearing Christians?

"Mighty Fine"

Former Employee - Cashier in Sunset Valley, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Sunset Valley, TX

I worked at K & N Management part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

K&N offers great benefits to employees of Rudy's and Mighty Fine, including full time benefits at 30 hours and pay that starts at a rate higher than can be expected in fast food. Training is ample and thorough. Hours are consistent. Few dining options mean consistent and high quality. Corporate is easy to get a hold of.

Cons

Despite the regimented culture, Mighty Fine's managers are inconsistent and discouraging. I was told by my manager multiple times how little faith he had in me, he allowed little room and accepted no apologies for small mistakes, and my employment was eventually terminated without warning or write up. Attendance points are accrued at the minute mark, so if you take too long to use the restroom or you hit bad traffic (and it's Austin, so you will hit bad traffic), your employment will be at risk. I once sat in traffic for two hours because the highway was shut down, and it was still counted against me.

The management culture also passes to trainers, leads, and employees. Condescension and brown-nosing are common.

Some policies feel arbitrary, like the idea that ketchup, mustard, and mayo need to be reffered to as "red", "yeller," and "white" despite the fact that few guests understood what that meant without clarification. Or the fact that to clean a spill on the kitchen floor, I couldn't take the mop bucket to the spill and instead had to walk back and forth between the area and the bucket that was off to the side.

Advice to Management

Be more supportive towards struggling employees, and have a better discipline system in place.

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at K & N Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-pace, well run processes, crowded restarants, guests were almost always happy with everything we did

Cons

No excuses for anything going wrong. Work hours were supposed to be 50 but more like 60. Often got called in on days off. No pay raises for last 3 years. Hard to advance because there not opening new stores.

Advice to Management

Take care of your management team members as well as your guests. New "chaplins" make you feel like you have to be a Christian to work there.

5. "K&N Management / Mighty Fine Restaurant"

Pros

Very Organized, Positive Team members , fun environment that keeps you busy at all hours (defiantly a plus when you're working 10 hour shifts), employee rewards/benefits, discount at Rudy's or Mighty Fine, Restaurant does not serve breakfast so you'll never have to show up earlier than about 9:30 to 10:00 am.

Cons

Not the job for someone who does not like to ALOT of manager oversight, (twice daily you will be reviewed by a manager), Once again it can get very busy at times - something you begin to enjoy honestly but also not something for the feint of heart - Pay is better than many restaurants but not alot of room for raises and no tips are allowed. 10 hour shifts can be a very long time to stand in one spot, especially on very slow days (only allowed a 15 min and 30 min break (DONT TAKE A LONG BREAK!) Closing the restaurant can take a LONG time - nothing special about that though, closing is bad everywhere. Random Schedule each week makes it difficult to every get away.

Advice to Management

I thing K&N is does a great job managing their employees. They certainly have a very unique method which attends to even the smallest details but they train their staff well, and it is very clear what is expected of you at all times.

"good at the top"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at K & N Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

benefits for top GM and directors, they make a lot of $ so not closing

Cons

they don't treat everyone well, lots of overtime wihtout pay, always being watched

Advice to Management

do what you say you will do when you say you will do it

7. "Boh"

Former Employee - BOH
    Former Employee - BOH

I worked at K & N Management part-time

Pros

It's a positive place to work at and the pay is good.

Cons

The closing SUCKS, the management is strict, people will say inappropriate things sometimes, very busy, way too strict on brakes, around half of new employees don't last more then a month and the they are really strict.

Advice to Management

Give longer breaks, don't be so strict and change the closing policy.

"Solid first job"

Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at K & N Management part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great starting pay, friendly coworkers, lots of opportunities for increased pay, excellent place to have on resume for future retail jobs

Cons

Very pushy about donating large amounts to whatever cause they're currently supporting, which on a relatively low income is tough. Store management is occasionally incompetent.

Advice to Management

Lay off the push for donations. Your employees, though well paid for a service job, don't have the money to donate $100 (10 hours of work) to someone else.

9. "Another day, another burger."

Former Employee - Back of House in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Back of House in Austin, TX

I worked at K & N Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You come to work for K&N Management at any of their Mighty Fine Burgers locations because you hear about the wonderful company culture, the worker benefits, the relatively high compensation, and the people. All of these things are true and they're available.

Cons

The way K&N tends to select their managing staff by just going down the ladder and getting the next closest person to take the job. It's not necessarily a bad methodology, but sometimes more qualified people are passed up for management because of this system. Especially when the person on the next level down from manager has only been in his supervisory position for 2 months.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to how managers are hired

10. "Great company to work for, unfortunately food service is not for me."

Former Employee - Country Store Cashier in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Country Store Cashier in Austin, TX

I worked at K & N Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Malcolm Baldrige Award winner in Small Business Category, 2010
    Competitive salary for entry-level food service positions
    Generally a fun atmosphere to work in, depending on the managers you have

Cons

No tips
    One 15 minute break during a 9-hour shift (I am certain this is not how the corporate office is run)
    Other entry-level food service employees tend to be potheads, drink a lot, gossip, be irresponsible, etc. This was ultimately why I left. I used to look forward to going to work, and eventually, the other people I was having to spend the bulk of my time with really dragged me down and caused work to be a negative environment.

Advice to Management

Consider drug testing to discourage drug use. Other peoples' drug use had the biggest negative impact on my working experience and precipitated my decision to leave. I am certain that the corporate office is an amazing work environment -- it is too bad that my experience in an entry-level position did not compare to it. Once I finished school, I seriously considered applying for a position in the corporate office, but ultimately decided to go in another direction.

11. "Great transitional job"

I have been working at K & N Management full-time

Pros

Reasonably relaxed, great company to work for.

Cons

No where to move up realistically