K1 Investment Management Reviews | Glassdoor

K1 Investment Management Reviews

Updated Oct 1, 2019

4.6
K1 Investment Management CEO  Neil Malik (no image)
Neil Malik
  1. "Great Experienc"

Former Employee - Intern - Hourly

I worked at K1 Investment Management full-time

Pros

Good company culture, good experience, enjoyed my time at K1

Cons

Seemed like a good business, no complaints

K1 Investment Management2019-05-22
  2. "Lol"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant

I worked at K1 Investment Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

have to fill the word minimum, but none.

Cons

Work here if you like to get fired within 2 days without any notice or reason as to why.

K1 Investment Management2019-10-01
  3. "Great company and culture"

I have been working at K1 Investment Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company cares for its employees and wants to see them succeed. It fosters a learn by doing environment that allows for holistic growth in individuals.

Cons

In busy seasons, work life balance does fall to the way side, but that's not abnormal.

K1 Investment Management2019-03-06
  4. "Awesome Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Investment Professional in Manhattan Beach, CA

I have been working at K1 Investment Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great group of hard working, smart, and passionate people

Cons

Work-life balance could use some attention, but it's never a huge burden

K1 Investment Management2018-11-21
  5. "Investment Team - Business Development"

I have been working at K1 Investment Management full-time

Pros

opportunity to learn fast and get into deal flow, fast past, great for people with drive and persistence to shine, all about persistence, ability to grow through more responsibility

Cons

probably a good thing - we have so many deals that we have to keep scaling the team!

K1 Investment Management2018-11-20

"Culture, Opportunity and Drive"

I have been working at K1 Investment Management full-time for more than a year

Pros

A very strong culture where employees actually like one another, enjoy coming to work and collaborating. Laughter is as real a motivator to produce here as the high expectations that are attached to the very real challenges in the day-to-day. There is not just lip service paid to transparency and opportunity to grow within the firm or throughout the portfolio is very real. This is definitely the right place to grow... an ambitious career.

Cons

Office is a bit crowded now (although a new office is in the horizon) and sometimes work-life balance can receive a bit more attention. Some additional focus on comp could help.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on preserving culture despite very accelerated growth. Don't lose sight of all forms of diversity through growth.

K1 Investment Management2016-11-21
  7. "Challenging and Exciting"

in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at K1 Investment Management

Pros

awesome culture-not just the "perks" but the actual culture. Super inclusive with very driven professionals working towards the same end goal. growth opportunity-due to the size of the company and the impact we are currently making, there is limitless opportunity to grow. open environment-I love that if I need something from the Partners, they respond to my email, phone call, door knock, etc. I can trust them to... do what they say they are going to do and that encourages me to always do the same. constantly learning-I've never learned so much on the job in such a short period of time. Every day is a new opportunity to learn something new.

Cons

diversity-this is an issue within the finance industry and I hope K1 can spearhead the change and lead from the front with a diverse workforce expectations-I, personally, am driven by high expectations but not all employees are. The expectations are high and we definitely hold each other accountable. There is no "failing up" here, so if that doesn't align with what someone is looking for in their career,... opportunities here won't fit.

Advice to Management

as the company grows, maintain the current environment/culture. It's tough to do, but this type of culture is what not only attracts employees, but keeps them long-term.

K1 Investment Management2016-08-12
  8. "Competitive and Cooperative Learning Environment"

Current Employee - Investment Professional in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at K1 Investment Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

The opportunity for early exposure to the private equity/investment industry with K1 is very attractive. The firm's sector specialty focus allows for employees to develop technical knowledge and expertise so that they may become a valuable asset within the industry sooner rather than later.

Cons

Things move very quickly and employees must take full responsibility for driving independent learning or risk falling behind.

K1 Investment Management2016-05-26

"Vice President"

Current Employee - Vice President, Private Equity in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at K1 Investment Management full-time for less than a year

Pros

I had the great opportunity to get to know the founders and partners of K1 for several years before joining the team. More than anything, I was drawn to the firms values (Passion, Persistence, Humility, Excellence) when making the decision to join. The firms values, coupled with the transparent, vibrant, and young culture made the opportunity that much more appealing. K1 provides a collaborative, dynamic, and... challenging work environment that fosters K1 values and pushes the team to bring the best out of one another while striving to attain our purpose of allowing people and their companies to "do more".

Cons

I just joined the team about two months ago so its still a bit too early to tell. At this point, any true cons have yet to show themselves.

Advice to Management

Please continue to strive to maintain the strong culture that has been built since the firms founding, as we scale and take strong steps into the future.

K1 Investment Management2016-05-09
  10. "Investment Professional"

Investment Professional in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at K1 Investment Management for less than a year

Pros

K1 is a fast growing PE firm with a dynamic investment focus, which allows for a tremendous amount of experiential learning. The team has been carefully put together and each person embodies their values of Passion, Persistence, Humility, and Excellence. This provides for an unparalleled experience for someone looking for an opportunity in PE as you will be given multiple opportunities to conduct unique work and... have a strong support team to ensure K1 continues to provide predictable and repeatable alpha.

Cons

The management team has repeatedly used the term "build the bicycle, while you ride it" when discussing the on-boarding experience, so be prepared to have good training while also being expected to deliver work on Day 1.

Advice to Management

Your careful focus on building a great team is much appreciated and I hope it continues as we continue to scale.

K1 Investment Management2016-05-10