K12 Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Stuart Udell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"K12-A GREAT Company to work for!"

Current Employee - TOPS Testing Coordinator in Lewisville, TX
    Current Employee - TOPS Testing Coordinator in Lewisville, TX

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

K12 has a mission to transform learning for the thousands of students we serve. I spent 3 years working directly with students and their families teaching high school Geometry then accepted a promotion to Math Department Chair for two years. I now work as a Testing Coordinator for the state of Texas.
    I would say the number one reason to work with K12 is working directly with the families and building all the necessary relationships to make student education successful.
    The second reason to work for K12 is the opportunity for advancement and ability to develop in leadership or other skills.

Cons

All education has to deal with change and K12 is no different. As a virtual school we are carefully watched by ALL stakeholders. As a result we are constantly changing to meet their needs and to accommodate our growth as more and more families decide to join us for education needs.

Advice to Management

Keep our positive and move forward attitude going. We are providing an excellent opportunity for families to meet their educational needs.

"Teacher"

Current Employee - Teacher in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home; full benefits package; competitive salary; friendly and professional coworkers; focus on the student; teachers are allowed to be creative and try new strategies and techniques. Goals of the company are clearly outlined each year. My family members saw how successful I am with the company that one of them decided to get a job with the company.

Cons

work life balance can be hard to maintain

3. "Master Teacher"

Current Employee - Master Teacher
    Current Employee - Master Teacher

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work from home, spend less in child care

Cons

little support, lower salary, not competitive

Advice to Management

make salary competitive, value employees, more training

"Best company to work for! I am not a number but a valued person"

Current Employee - High School Advisor in Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - High School Advisor in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I work for the Arizona Virtual Academy High School powered by K12. They have the GREATEST administration in place here at AZVA. They always have time to listen to your ideas and reach out to see how you are doing. They care about my well-being as well as my productivity, this is a rarity in the educational field. I can honestly say we are a family here and we take each of our successes and failures as a team. When there is something we need to improve there isn't finger pointing or blame, it is approached as a roadblock that needs to be overcome. This, in-turn, creates an environment for teachers to explore their strengths and really use creative ways to reach their students. When a teacher is valued he/she is able to give 110% and this is passed on to the students. I wake up every morning EXCITED to work and that is a real blessing in this day and age.

Cons

I wish we had the ability to hire more teachers and lower the number of students per teacher per subject, but it isn't unmanageable. The pros outweigh this.

Advice to Management

Thank you to the AZVA administration for creating an exceptional work environment.

"5 year Anniversary"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I just celebrate my 5 years with K12 Inc. I have held a few different roles in my time here with K12 and would like to say it has been a great ride so far. I have had opportunities to demonstrate my strengths and to improve and advance my career. It is a great company to work for.

Cons

None at this time.

"Supportive, innovative, and student-centered"

I have been working at K12 full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are supportive, understanding of a work-life balance, and are focused on helping students succeed.

Cons

Teacher pay is below industry standard at brick and mortar schools, but there are perks and a bonus that brick and mortar schools don't get.

"Flexible job with supportive staff"

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home-- the flexibility in this job is nice, since you can work wherever there is an internet connection. Great staff relations in an online community.

Cons

After reaching full-time, there is not much more you can advance (at least in salary). There is no salary increase for earning a Master's degree or further.

Advice to Management

Keep the focusing on relationships with your staff members-- it is a great community you have. Possibly more opportunities for full-timers to advance in salary.

8. "Teacher"

I worked at K12 full-time

Pros

Flexibility, You can work from home

Cons

Corporate-so not able to always make individual school decisions, rather have to follow corporate protocol.

Advice to Management

Seek advice from Schools

9. "Reorganization"

I worked at K12 full-time

Pros

Nice people to work with.

Cons

The company is in permanent flux. They reorganization and let people go because they are over budget. They don't care about their employees at all. They give bonuses but no raises. They over work people and then discard them.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.

10. "Awful school to work for"

I worked at K12 full-time

Pros

The best reason to work at Root is because it's Spanish immersion.

Cons

They do not pay on time. Their checks bounce almost every month. The communication between the co-founders and their employees is awful. They're not supportive, they're passive-aggressive, they're not fair and overall, it's an extremely chaotic environment to work in. They also could only offer $48,000 over the course of an entire year, instead of just the school year. They manipulate their employees into thinking they will be paid that amount for a typical school year. This is not the case. They will bully you into working the summer too.

Advice to Management

Close the school.

K12 Response

Jan 8, 2018 – Senior Director of Human Resources

K12 Inc. does not own nor operate the Root school. It is unfortunate you have had this experience with your employer. We hope you can reach out to your employer and provide this feedback.