K12 Reviews | Glassdoor

K12 Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Most floors are cleared out by 5:30pm and many employees work from home 1-5 days a week (in 104 reviews)

• K12 is extremely flexible about dress code and work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours required at times, meaning work/life balance gets out of whack during peak season (which is often the summer for support teams) (in 22 reviews)

• Upper management is more concerned about numbers than people (in 25 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Editor in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Editor in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've been at K12 as a member of Product Development for five years full-time and five years as a contractor. K12 has been going through some changes but throughout it all, there is a positive and collegiate atmosphere. People at K12 look to help each other and provide an exceptional product.
    Salary at K12 is more than fair. Management cares about their employees. We have flexibility in hours and the possibility of working from home. I wouldn't trade my job at K12.

Cons

We are moving to more transparency in decisions, but still not quite there.

"Finishing up my sixth year - looking forward to many more with K12."

Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - High School English Teacher in Herndon, VA

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with K12 for going on six years and am really quite happy. I make a little more money as a full time teacher here than I would if I were working at a local brick and mortar job doing the same work - except here I have such a flexible schedule. I teach four live sessions a week and have five one hour study halls. I set my own schedule.

The benefits are outstanding. I get $50 a month in office supplies (that I get to choose and order from staples), I have wonderful insurances (I pay 1/3 of my health insurance - everything else is covered), I get $50 a month in Internet reimbursement, and I get a 5-10% bonus every year (depending on my performance and company profitability).

My coworkers are amazing. I've made some lifelong friends here.

I'm very grateful for my job.

Cons

I have to work through the summer since our school has year round enrollment.
    I hate that we don't get to meet our coworkers in person.
    Our retirement is a 401K with only a 3% match - much less than I would get in a public school.

Advice to Management

Plan an event where your international academy staff can meet in person every few years. A live graduation ceremony would work wonders for morale.

3. "Great place to work"

Pros

Work life balance. Opportunity to create. Job security. Flexible hours for many positions.

Cons

Commute for on site people.

Advice to Management

Nice work.

4. "Working at K12, Inc. was a very positive, rewarding experience."

Former Employee - Administrator
    Former Employee - Administrator

Pros

Opportunity to be part of a creative team committed to high-quality education of students.
    Commitment to constant improvement of all elements of the educational program.
    Commitment to support solutions at the local level vs top-down decision-making.

Cons

Options for career promotions required extensive travel in my specialty field.

Advice to Management

Continue to maintain positive corporate values.

5. "Very supportive environment."

Pros

Knowledgable people that care about students.

Cons

Work more than 40+ hours a week.

6. "Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at K12 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Virtual work is never done.

7. "Great environment"

I have been working at K12 full-time

Pros

A great environment and company culture. One of the most attractive benefits of working here is the telecommuting option whic allows flexibility in daily and family life.

Cons

No cons experienced. I've been working for this company for many years and am very satisfied with management and colleagues.

8. "Great place to work. Very flexible company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Good work life balance, management empathetic with employee's needs

Cons

not any serious drawbacks I can think of

Advice to Management

none

9. "Satisfied at K12"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

I love the work life balance that the company supports of its employees
    I love the tuition reimbursement program here at k12, enabling employees to pursue their education.
    the work timings are so flexible, it helps in employee retainment and give the employees to perform better.

Cons

company as such is upcoming and fastest growing in DC area. so some of the business development processes are not streamlined yet.

Advice to Management

you are doing an awesome job, please keep it up.Encourage career advancement for the employees and emphasize on technical training.

"Good place to work, could be even better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Pros

Company mission
    Work/life balance
    Excellent co-workers
    Innovative products and environment

Cons

Disparity of financial incentives/rewards between upper management and the rest
    Lack of true leadership at the top
    Unwillingness to invest in infrastructure or anything that doesn't generate immediate revenue
    Tendency of CEO to espouse the moral commitment of the company while selling his shares at a rapid rate

Advice to Management

The most important assets that the company has are its employees, not the product. This is the knowlege age, not the industrial age. Anyone who has been here for more than a year or two has no sleeves left because s/he has been asked to continually roll them up until there's nothing left. Treat your employees like we are important or risk losing more of us. The job market isn't that bad as evidenced by the line of good people leaving the company lately. We've helped build a lot of shareholder value which will go away if we all leave. Don't think it can't happen.