K2 Sports Reviews | Glassdoor

Anthony De Rocco

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"review"

I have been working at K2 Sports full-time

Pros

work & life balance, people, location, season pass

Cons

stability, compensation, lack of community,

Advice to Management

visibility

"The good old days are long gone"

I have been working at K2 Sports full-time

Pros

Great people that are truly passionate about their work

Cons

Zero direction from top management
    3 CEO's in 3.5 years
    Constant lay-offs or hiring freezes
    Up for sale... again
    Grossly understaffed for demands upper management puts on staff
    Zero ability to move up in the company unless your best friends with the CEO from the "good old days"

Advice to Management

Completely remove all top managers and start over with folks who are actually passionate about the success of the brand, and success of the entire staff.

"Customer Service"

Pros

Flexible scheduling, you can work from home sometimes

Cons

Not a lot of growth for management

Advice to Management

Listen to employees concerns

4. "Interesting experience and would never go back"

I worked at K2 Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Individually most of the people are really nice and seem to want to do good work. I rarely had to work after hours so good work/life balance.

Cons

Lowest moral I've ever seen at a company.
    New CEO is a complete tool.
    Absolutely no mentoring or training. Have to figure things out yourself.
    No upside for advancement.
    Lots of changes and layoffs while I was there.

Advice to Management

None. I think management wants it to be exactly like it is.

5. "Could be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at K2 Sports (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great group of people with many years of experience. Flexible work hours. Fun industry. Potential to be a great place to work if all departments were not spread so thin.

Cons

Every department is under staffed. Low morale. Very little natural leadership throughout. Very little collaboration amongst departments. Complacent attitudes. Very little spirit left in the brand.

Advice to Management

Remember that bigger always follows better, but better never follows bigger.

6. "Working With Current Technology and A Great Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at K2 Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We work with recent version of Ruby on Rails ( and some old ). Staff is focused on delivering quality applications and services. We have some flexibility to work from home. It's never a big deal to go to an appointment or do an early pick-up for your child.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth.

"Product Design Engineer"

I have been working at K2 Sports full-time

Pros

Work with a great group of like minded outdoor enthusiasts. Design product you're passionate about using. Great travel experiences working with factories in Asia.

Cons

Short project timelines. Always working at full capacity to meet project deliverables.

8. "k2"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

employment and used to be a good commute (until moved downtown)

Cons

resources / manpower are not sufficient to handle workload and continues to dwindle with re-orgs.

Advice to Management

stay positive..

9. "Planner"

Pros

great people
    work on brands and products you like
    fun atmosphere
    gym and half-pipe out back

Cons

underpaid compared to other industries
    incredibly difficult to move up
    job security is always questionable
    no defined goals or strategy for the company

Advice to Management

communicate with your employees more often. Create more opportunities for employees to move up or around in different departments. Be more transparent

"Sometimes frustrating but overall good entry-level business admin-related job experience"

Current Employee - Assistant Product Planner in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Product Planner in Seattle, WA

I have been working at K2 Sports full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started as a temporary worker, then someone in the department became a sales manager four months in. So I was able to get hired permanently. In that sense, I gave credit for career opportunities because this allowed me to get an actual full-time entry-level job.

In the product planning department (tracking and issuing of purchase orders, and related data management such as exit-factory date updates and cancellation request processing for six global subsidiaries), I have to say work/life balance and culture is very good. All of my colleagues and managers are easy-going and we are all encouraged to leave at 5PM. However, during the winter season (mass numbers of shipments) I will stay late to keep on top of work. That's why I gave a high score for management, considering it in an entirely localized sense.

Also, someone here added a con that they have to travel a lot for work. If that person is a USA engineer, the context of this complaint is that the Seattle HQ engineers get the most opportunities for international travel. I.e. they have to go over to the 1st-party factory and various 3rd-party factories to make sure the skis, snowshoes, snowboards, etc. are being built to spec, and so on. Otherwise, people in marketing and sales travel a lot within the USA for trade shows or to see clients.

I understand that the international travel is mainly to China and not the most ideal locations. However, I'd personally love the opportunity to travel for work, and I don't get to do it as an entry-level person. I'd say it would be a pro if I ever get an opportunity to do it, but I'd have to get promoted to have a shot at it.

Cons

I knocked points off of career opportunities because outside of my transition from temporary to permanent, the planning department is small with few apparent opportunities. I probably don't have enough experience yet anyway but I'm just not seeing it happening.

I am the sole remaining person with purely "planner I" status in the department (person who administratively supports people with actual "planner II" status, who do the actual factory capacity planning work). Everyone else is either a manager with some overlapping planner II responsibilities, a pure planner II, or a dual planner I and planner II. From that perspective, it is starting to feel a little strange.

I did not give a full score to compensation and benefits because ultimately, I agree with other reviewers that the salary is low compared to other industries. I'm now over three years out of college, and the full-time salary that I'm on (besides a small raise) is about the average for a fresh graduate in my major right out of college. However I had to accrue experience through an unpaid internship and contract work to even get a full-time job opportunity in today's economy.

I also didn't give a full score to management because I feel over time, there has been scope-creep in my job. There are now two temporary workers that help me process data for special projects, proofread invoices, and act as intermediary between vendors and non-USA subsidiaries. However before that, my scope kept increasing until I was doing special projects, proofreading invoices, writing purchase orders, managing all of the attendant purchase order date & price & quantity data, and passing messages between non-USA subsidiaries and vendors for one out of three purchasing teams. Sometimes I still help other teams as well, because as a temp I helped all of the teams in some way.

I understand that these days, one has to take on more responsibilities than one is technically allotted to move ahead. However, I'm on the team dealing with the primary 1st-party supplier which Jarden (the parent company) owns (hundreds of purchase orders across 6 subsidiaries, it's a lot to manage).

Therefore, I'd still like to see some business processes decentralized such as the USA management requiring subsidiaries in particular to contact the 1st-party supplier directly concerning certain matters, because a few of them like to filter absolutely all communications through the USA office (the central business unit). I can't agree with over-centralizing business matters to such an extreme. It's ultimately my fault, but I have made mistakes playing telephone due to this, and I think that is the apt phrase. I'm adding no value to such a process yet I have to do it anyway.

Also, I agree with other posters that the company needs to improve quality issues, shipping issues and seasonal variation at the 1st-party supplier. However as far as I understand, the actually-finished product is largely good, it's that the scrap rate is high such that not enough product is being built on time. Ultimately, Jarden owns the 1st-party supplier and also owns K2, so they need to make far-sighted decisions such as providing more money to retain production line workers and to keep their skill levels high, and/or automate more processes.

Advice to Management

Ideally, as I said above, I want to see some business processes globally decentralized. However ultimately, this is a good environment to work with, with little micro-management. A lot simply can't be helped due to ultimate control of the 1st-party supplier (the largest supplier) being owned by the parent company.