KAG West Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good place to start!"

Former Employee - Fuel Tanker Driver-Trainer in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Fuel Tanker Driver-Trainer in Martinez, CA

I worked at KAG West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They will train you the right way to do the job. The drivers make this place a great place to work. training was some of the best. I still use what I was trained to do today. Kag sets the standard.

Cons

Lack of policies. No handbook. No guidelines. I worked 2 different terminals and it was like night and day. One got all the attention while the other was ignored. Too much work at one, not enough at the other.

Advice to Management

Implement policies that apply to all. All terminals and personnel. Give them out in a written form. (handbook) Hard to know if you are doing something wrong if policies are decisions are made on a whim.

2. "Driver"

Pros

People and management you work with

Cons

Too much park time every week

"Driver"

Former Employee - Tanker Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at KAG West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local job, able to be home every day.

Cons

Again, mgmt showed partiality when doing reviews.

Advice to Management

If management institutes policies, then they should enforce them across the board to all.

4. "Run Away As Fast As Possible!"

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

Pros

I was never beaten,physically assaulted,or waterboarded by management.Their trucks do come with wheels and a seat.

Cons

I really don't know where to start.Such a dreadful place to work.This once was a decent company when owned by Beneto but has been run into the ground by upper-management.If you're thinking of working here-DON'T.If you Do work here look for work elsewhere before they lay you off!

Advice to Management

Doesn't really matter if I give advice or not.They're too arrogant to listen anyway!

"Driver"

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Portland, OR

I have been working at KAG West full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They don't micro manage, steady work. Good overall company. Work schedule are 5-2 5-3 or 5-3 every week so, it's your choice.

Cons

They pay premium pay instead of time and half. So, they save 3-5$ per hour which is pretty weak and leads to low moral and unwillingness of drivers to jump in for a team win when asked to work extra shifts. Pay x & 1/2 in Oregon and show by action your appreciation for your drivers. Lip service of your appreciation of drivers is BS. ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THEN WORDS!

Advice to Management

In Oregon get up to pace and PAY TIME AND HALF.

"Fuel tank driver."

Former Employee - Fuel Tank Driver
    Former Employee - Fuel Tank Driver

I worked at KAG West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fellow drivers are good people to work with. That's about all this is good here. Hard to say good things about such a cheap company.

Cons

By far the cheapest company I've ever worked for. Industry low hourly pay, no overtime pay ever, no sick pay, no holiday pay, insurance premiums were double what I paid at my previous jobs. If you want to take a step back in your career this is the place for you. Otherwise wait for a better job. This place is the Swift of the fuel tank industry. If I could give zero stars I would.

Advice to Management

Catch up to industry pay and benefits. You're so proud of being the biggest fuel tank company in the nation. Pay like you are and stop racing to the bottom.

"Not a good place for company driver's"

Current Employee - Tanker Driver
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver

I have been working at KAG West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people too work with like your not even working

Cons

All loads are given to owner owner operators if you are a company driver you get with whatever is left over with no hours company drivers are paid by hour so little to no hours for you

Advice to Management

If you don't want company drivers fire them don't starve them out

"Disgruntled"

I have been working at KAG West full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

9 months out of the year work is steady and I get over 40 hours a week. They offer a winter draw for the winter months when work is less than 40 hours a week.

Cons

Company cries broke and doesn't give many raises and when they do it is the same across the board instead of on merit, yet they don't seem to care about the driver that stroke the clock daily. They don't have a fair Holiday pay system, they pay everyone except drivers holiday pay regardless of them working the day or not (like normal companies) however the DRIVERS have to work to get paid holiday pay and then they only get paid 8 hours for the holiday regardless of them working 10+ on that day. Their Vacation pay is not proper either, they need someone to com in and revamp this area of the company.

Advice to Management

Look at all the drivers work loads and see how dispatch seems to give the same drivers the gravy runs daily while others are slammed and still manage to get their loads done in a timelier fashion then those that get the gravy runs. Also compare equivalent runs with other drivers to see how many of your drivers are stroking the clock. When one driver can do said gravy run in less than 10 hours yet it is consistently taking another 12 hours to do something needs to be done. Raises should be given on merit not across the board because it is "fair". It isn't "fair" when all drivers make the same amount of money and some drivers feel the need to stroke the clock daily and get away with it. They are in turn making more money then those that actually work for their pay and not pull over and take a name for a hour or more. You should NOT speak of equality and no seniority if all is equal then work should be distributed as so instead of the same drivers getting gravy runs daily.

"Decent experience. Kept everyone busy. Slows in winter time a bit."

Former Employee - Tanker Driver in Portland, OR

I worked at KAG West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Home everyday. Set days off. Manager was great. Equipment newer, and we'll maintained.

Cons

Micromanagement was extreme. Silly policies enacted due to mistakes made by people who shouldn't have even been hired.

Advice to Management

More money to those who earn it.

10. "Just starting with this company"

Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Tanker Driver in Tacoma, WA

I have been working at KAG West full-time

Pros

A job, but too early to tell about the company overall.

Cons

They just bought out my company of which I worked at for three years, and was very happy at. My first pay check from them seem's to be messed up.