KAR Auction Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
KAR Auction Services CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors James P. Hallett
James P. Hallett

1. "Transport Carrier sales Manager"

Former Employee - Transport Sals Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Transport Sals Manager in Mesa, AZ

I worked at KAR Auction Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Over all the company is good

Cons

there are a lots of shady back stabbing going on. not professional at all

"Corporate Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carmel, IN

I have been working at KAR Auction Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, good employees and people, decent benefits.

Cons

Terrible leadership. KAR is cut throat and they do not care about their employees. Turnover is extremely high and they care about the impact of that. KAR is the perfect example of what is wrong with corporate america. DO NOT WORK HERE.

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves.

"Some Day KAR Will Grow Up..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at KAR Auction Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

There can be a good team feeling in some cases. If you are on the right team or at the right site there is a good ethos.

Cons

Little advancement, managers are territorial and in some departments there is little direction. They talk about growing up into a big company and joining the ranks of the best but they still act like a small town. Raises are little or non-existent and it is based on the whims of your manager. A manager for example can post a mediocre review about an employee and then their raise does not happen. Quite the system.

Advice to Management

Quit talking about growing up and actually do it. Oh, and some of you are in the wrong place...

"How do you recover from a bad Employee Attitude Survey?"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Carmel, IN

I worked at KAR Auction Services full-time

Pros

I want believe the Senior Leadership team has a good vision

Cons

IT leadership is systematically driving out or firing good employees who expressed concerns during the last employee attitude survey rather than address the issues, They are eliminating those who raised serious concerns and replacing them with "yes" men.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your IT organization - they are putting the overall company at risk with the loss of experienced employees.

"Iaai is terrible"

Former Employee - Check In in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Check In in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at KAR Auction Services full-time

Pros

Hourly employees are family that i would do anything for

Cons

Management will make you clean cars that are labeled biohazard with no ppe
    Management also asks you to not start hybrids but then forces you to start hybrids or they will find someone else.

Advice to Management

Get new management at Iaai in Indianapolis before someone gets killed

6. "Ok"

Current Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Good Benefits. Health Care. 401k Match up to 4%. Discounted Stock Share Purchases Kind of. Company Car. Expense Account. Fast Paced.

Cons

Not many Cons that you wouldn't normally find in a work place I assume. Usually petty finger pointing as expected, human nature, nobody accountable for anything, but that's everywhere.

Advice to Management

Ok

"Service desk analyst"

Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Service Desk Analyst in Carmel, IN

I have been working at KAR Auction Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing / family oriented company

Cons

Nothing bad to say. Just want supervisors to grow along with the changes of our new culture.

Advice to Management

Please let people grow. Dont supress people who go above and beyond. Treasure those who have passion and not worry about your worth. Everyone is worth something even if they are different in culture and education and upbringing. Encourage people to continue their everyday job with passion. And i believe and love my company but some supervisors need to grow and learn and never give up on enhacing their core values and wisdom. Everyone is worth something.

"A fine place to work as long as you don't need to take a leave of absence - then watch out."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Carmel, IN

I have been working at KAR Auction Services full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

KAR is a pretty stable company that is constantly growing, and thereby evolving. They are moving toward better benefits (in order to stay competitive) and in some departments, better work-life balance.

Cons

I've worked here for abou 8 1/2 years and as Indiana companies go, it's okay. I do believe that since the industry we are in is traditionally male-dominated, many SLT & management-level staffing and top-down decisions are made from that point of view.

My low scores stem from my personal experience with the dim reality that becoming pregnant and having a child while here has been career suicide; I experienced inappropriate comments from my own boss while pregnant and was welcomed back to a "similarly situated" position wherein someone else had been hired to do my job while I was gone (and subsequently promoted), and there was next to no work available for me when I returned - this lack of work persisted for 1 1/2 yrs (though I was kept on - presumably to avoid any EEOC claims from me).

I have generally liked working here in different departments over the years, but a word to the wise that women shouldn't expect to see the same advancement opportunities afforded men here (I have anecdotal confirmation of that from several female friends working in other departments), and know ahead of time that getting pregnant may cost you any shot at further advancement, regardless of how well you currently perform.

Advice to Management

Create some guidelines for management outside of policy, for how to handle leave of absence situations that don't penalize your employees for taking maternity leave of medical leave. Also, work to homogenize the experience of your corporate workforce - I have read reviews here and have heard stories internally that reveal an extremely broad spectrum of experience when it comes to interviewing, the hiring process, work-life balance and advancement opportunity/succession planning.

"Look within and stop looking outside"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at KAR Auction Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Stable company
    Good co-workers
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Little interaction with upper management
    No real employee development plan or employee retention
    Very little promotion from within to management positions, all managers and above positions are hired from outside the company

Advice to Management

Spend more time developing your current employees and you will spend less time looking for new ones.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Carmel, IN
    Former Employee - Analyst in Carmel, IN

I worked at KAR Auction Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company offers great benefits and seems to really care for their employees.

Cons

Like many companies this one too suffers from a culture of office politics and brown-nosing required to advance.

Advice to Management

Continue to celebrate your employees put also recognize the ones who are not playing politics as well.