KBI Biopharma Scientist Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 7 reviews

3.2
KBI Biopharma CEO Timothy M Kelly
Timothy M Kelly

"Great place to work (KBI Durham)"

Current Employee - Scientist I in Durham, NC

I have been working at KBI Biopharma full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people are incredibly friendly and helpful, as well as competent and knowledgeable (for the most part). Expectations are high, but mistakes are easily forgiven and there is a lot of grace for things that come up beyond your own control. People generally get raises every year as well as annual bonus. Tons of paid time off; I have never had trouble taking any.

Cons

There is always a lot going on. If you don't know how to say "no", it can be easy to get overwhelmed and get into a pattern or working 50 hours/week (hence some of the negative reviews on glassdoor). However, as long as you are willing to say "no" from time to time, and to establish your own work life balance, it's relatively easy to maintain 40 hour work weeks.

Advice to Management

Hire more people

KBI Biopharma2018-03-06
  2. "Can be great but varies a lot group to group"

Current Employee - Scientist II in Durham, NC

I have been working at KBI Biopharma full-time for more than a year

Pros

- above average pay - good place to start right out of school - fast paced, always on your feet, you will learn a lot - if you are in a good group, it can be a great experience and very rewarding

Cons

- if you aren't in a good group, or if your manager sucks, it can be awful - facility is poorly maintained and they do not invest in it - no paternity leave and otherwise average benefits - a lot of the day-to-day lifestyle things like your workspace and parking are poor

Advice to Management

- reinvest some profits into improving the durham facility otherwise relocate - more space is a necessity and this has been largely ignored - reward managers whose employees are thriving and remediate managers whose employees are miserable

KBI Biopharma2019-06-28
  3. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Scientist

I have been working at KBI Biopharma full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pportunities to learn. Good salary.

Cons

Bigger offices are needed for employees.

KBI Biopharma2019-05-06

"You're not a startup anymore, act like it"

Current Employee - Scientist in Durham, NC

I have been working at KBI Biopharma full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good Pay Challenging projects - interesting work and opportunity to learn and grow skill set 5% 401K match

Cons

benefit package subpar - medical is costly, the new "maternity leave" is a joke that even HR doesn't comprehend, no tuition reimbursement, culture makes it difficult to take PTO Management not very focused on employees - either worried about keeping the untenable MFG schedule packed or keeping dev clients happy and paying than putting effort toward employee training, development and satisfaction

Advice to Management

Stop pretending KBI is still a small startup - a multinational corporation with sites in Europe, CA, TX, CO and NC should function like one. Invest in your employees and it will pay dividends in the bottom line.

KBI Biopharma2018-11-27

"Scientist"

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Durham, NC

I have been working at KBI Biopharma full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Free breakfast once per month

Cons

Too much expansion. Institution of the HB1 visa program destroyed employee moral. The company culture has completely changed.

Advice to Management

Stop buying new companies. Start paying attention to what is actually happening to your work force. Stop the Underground Railroad. Married couples present a conflict of interest if they both work in the same group.

KBI Biopharma2018-02-13
  6. "good for gaining experience"

Current Employee - Process Development Scientist in Durham, NC

I have been working at KBI Biopharma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You'll get great opportunities to do things earlier in your career than at larger companies. Decent exposure to upper management depending on your boss.

Cons

you'll need to work to advance and have your growth rewarded. Varies based on manager, but a common issue at most levels here.

KBI Biopharma2017-01-18

"Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Scientist I in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at KBI Biopharma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Scientists are very nice and hardworking

Cons

Upper management is not understanding, too political and not fair. I've worked at KBI for over a year. My manager was not understanding at all, he always used to bring me down and say only negative things to me. When I complained about him to his manager, nothing was done, as the two of them are good friends. i also have worked on one of the projects for over half a year and when they decided to file a patent on the...

Advice to Management

Being any kind of manager is not about moving up and making those who work under you 60 hrs/wk and not giving them credit for their work

KBI Biopharma2015-06-15