KBR Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Houston, TX Area

3.2
Stuart J. B. Bradie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Like any large company, there are a number of good benefits like the option to work a 9/80 work schedule (in 39 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement, good pay and good leadership from corporate (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 11 reviews)

• Management follows a good old boy system of hiring and promotion practices (in 10 reviews)

"HSE Manager"

Former Employee - HSE Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - HSE Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked for MW Kellogg side of KBR for 29 years off & on with good pay, great benefits and a no-nonsense knowledgeable and experience personnel who cared for the people, cared for the quality work at a safe pace. Great to be part of the company until restructuring.

Cons

KBR has been restructured since 2014, replacing knowledgable and experienced "old guys" with less experienced young fella's. This was there down fall, letting the experienced and knowledgabls old hands go and hired the new college "know-it-alls". The biggest mistake is allowing other companies to 'steal' KBR's technology in engineering and allowing unethical behavior within its ranks resulting in loss revenue and clients.

Advice to Management

Retain to what you have, rehire the younger old guys to support the young and listen to past failures and what works and what doesn't. Why beat your brow with new technology that may have the same results with old technology and less the costs. Cutting corners will always cost more in injuries, time and material. Hasn't anyone learned from this yet? Remove the Red Tape and eliminate unneccessary duble & triplicate paperwork including the overrated environmental regulations and the overall restriction in safety. This is another big concern why clients are turning away from new construction and relying onto what they have. Cost too much to build.

2. "Good Company, Great engineering Department"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great knowledge base in company within each department. Excellent projects (LNG, Ammonia, Urea, etc.) to work on. Well known around the US and the world.

Cons

KBR is listed now as "Defense & Space" on job boards online. No mention (or intention) of staying in EPC of Oil, Gas & Chemicals. Every project in the US is lost it seems. Sadly, it looks like more than 70% of KBR Houston has been laid off.

3. "Pipefitter Helper"

Former Employee - Pipefitter/Welder Helper in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Pipefitter/Welder Helper in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working in any environment is possibility for me, I learn to adapt to all types of work, and in any condition. I have been working in the construction for over 10 years.

Cons

Traveling has been a downfall if I'm restarting work after not working for a few months, but manageable. There's no other reason for me not to be working accept having children and traveling with them, but I have learned how to handle that situation each time I'm hired.

Advice to Management

I have no advice at this time.

4. "Sr. Application Architect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well respected in the EPCM space, and been around for many years. While anything related to gas and oil has it's cycles, they do try to augment their backlog with government services work.

Cons

I worked in IT, and KBR has decided to outsource most of it's development work, which has been a failure for almost 3 years, but IT management fails to recognize this. They are too focused on the cost of everything, without regards for the benefits. But they also don't really see the cost of rework as a result of the outsourcing. Don't get me wrong, cost is an important factor, but it shouldn't be the only factor.

Advice to Management

Abandon the outsourcing of IT development. Look at the amount of hours required by U.S. staff to constantly coach and correct the outsource staff, and admit when something has failed and it's time to move on.

5. "Avoid it!"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K matching is good
    9/80 schedule that gets you every alternate friday off.

Cons

Salary freeze
    no growth
    your benefits can be taken away at any moment citing bad economy while the company may be making profits each quarter.
    People are insecure resulting in a bad work environment

Advice to Management

Get out of your high chairs and talk to the people who actually work

6. "Read reviewed walked packages prep, cut, grinded, beveled, leveled pip and supports for weld."

Former Employee - Pipe Fitter Helper III in Deer Park, TX
    Former Employee - Pipe Fitter Helper III in Deer Park, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My superiors and leadership took great care of me. I commend KBR %100.

Cons

The pay is low compared to the competition.

Advice to Management

Pipe fitter helpers should rate a bonus just as well as journeyman & etc, unlike the competition who gives bonus pay to their helpers. One team one to be accomplished in a safe manner.

"HUMAN RESOURCES"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Parking garage and convenient public transp. Good people. Convenient food court. Benefits are OK but changing for the worse.

Cons

Poor management decisions. Big layoffs, poor business climate. Executive leadership in it for themselves. Toxic environment. Little in pay increases for employees in past 4 years.

"Company is weathering hard times"

Current Employee - Associate Specialist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Specialist in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great employees, Good work environment. Many of the staff have been with the company for 10 yrs or longer. Covered parking.

Cons

No room for advancement, benefits have decreased and there is an indefinite freeze on raises below the executive level . It seems that there is more emphasis on establishing catchy safety campaigns and stock holder happiness than employee retention.

Advice to Management

Better compensate your employees below the executive level.

"No Paid Holidays or Raises"

Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time

Pros

Was a good company to work for.

Cons

There have been no paid holidays for one year, and there will be none in the future under current policy. No one has gotten a raise during the last two years. The reason is to temporarily raise the stock price. No concern is given to retention of quality personnel. I am embarrassed to work for a company that does not have paid holidays

Advice to Management

Treat your employees at least as well as your competitors.

"Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible time, 9/80 work schedule

Cons

Going through very low times; No projects;Engineers being laid off ; project Management retained in expectation of future jobs

Advice to Management

KBR workforce has majority trained or experienced engineers in their 60s . There should be an effort to train others and Have them learn from these experienced people. At present there is no such vision.