KBR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Stuart J. B. Bradie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Like any large company, there are a number of good benefits like the option to work a 9/80 work schedule (in 39 reviews)

• Opportunity for advancement, good pay and good leadership from corporate (in 55 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance could be better (in 11 reviews)

• Management follows a good old boy system of hiring and promotion practices (in 10 reviews)

1. "Good Company, Great engineering Department"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Electrical Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great knowledge base in company within each department. Excellent projects (LNG, Ammonia, Urea, etc.) to work on. Well known around the US and the world.

Cons

KBR is listed now as "Defense & Space" on job boards online. No mention (or intention) of staying in EPC of Oil, Gas & Chemicals. Every project in the US is lost it seems. Sadly, it looks like more than 70% of KBR Houston has been laid off.

2. "Sr. Application Architect"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Well respected in the EPCM space, and been around for many years. While anything related to gas and oil has it's cycles, they do try to augment their backlog with government services work.

Cons

I worked in IT, and KBR has decided to outsource most of it's development work, which has been a failure for almost 3 years, but IT management fails to recognize this. They are too focused on the cost of everything, without regards for the benefits. But they also don't really see the cost of rework as a result of the outsourcing. Don't get me wrong, cost is an important factor, but it shouldn't be the only factor.

Advice to Management

Abandon the outsourcing of IT development. Look at the amount of hours required by U.S. staff to constantly coach and correct the outsource staff, and admit when something has failed and it's time to move on.

3. "It's just a job."

Current Employee - Lead Cook in Balad (Iraq)
    Current Employee - Lead Cook in Balad (Iraq)

I have been working at KBR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some Co-workers are great to be around. Working overseas is a plus.

Cons

Some Co-workers are idiots, in your department, and in others. 401K takes ten years to get, and if your still at the bottom of the pay scale, there is not much you can put in. Yes, 10 years at the bottom of the pay scale happens.

Advice to Management

Talk to your lower staff members, give some kind of incentive to people who work hard and that help you win more contracts.

4. "executive assistant"

I worked at KBR full-time

Pros

Experience on the job enjoyed

Cons

Management skills could be better overall

5. "Avoid it!"

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K matching is good
    9/80 schedule that gets you every alternate friday off.

Cons

Salary freeze
    no growth
    your benefits can be taken away at any moment citing bad economy while the company may be making profits each quarter.
    People are insecure resulting in a bad work environment

Advice to Management

Get out of your high chairs and talk to the people who actually work

6. "Kuwait"

I worked at KBR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good if you absolutely need a job and have no self respect. Kuwait is an awesome country and is very safe to be in.

Cons

Site manager turned a blind eye to the wreck less and unethical behavior of the shift supervisor. Excessive speeding near aircraft, would rather argue with the AF/Coalition customer than actually do the job we were hired for. Poor morale. Extremely high turnover. I worked there 10 months and know of at least 8 people who quit within two weeks. They fired the safety manager who was trying to fix the poor work culture of this project and promoted the unqualified person who got him fired to Station Manager. Low pay, took at least two pay cuts since arriving. They wanted me to apologize and be remorseful for using a sick day even though I had a doctor's note. And when I wasn't, they suspended me for 3 days without pay. They severely under-bid this contract just to get their foot into Kuwait. They're losing the contract now and just don't care anymore. We have 42 people on our roster to do a job that the previous company used 96 for.

Advice to Management

No advise to give, they won't listen anyway.

7. "Sr. Purchasing Consultant"

I worked at KBR full-time

Pros

Challenging work with excellent employees

Cons

There are no downsides to working at KBR

Advice to Management

none

"HSE Manager"

Former Employee - HSE Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - HSE Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at KBR full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Worked for MW Kellogg side of KBR for 29 years off & on with good pay, great benefits and a no-nonsense knowledgeable and experience personnel who cared for the people, cared for the quality work at a safe pace. Great to be part of the company until restructuring.

Cons

KBR has been restructured since 2014, replacing knowledgable and experienced "old guys" with less experienced young fella's. This was there down fall, letting the experienced and knowledgabls old hands go and hired the new college "know-it-alls". The biggest mistake is allowing other companies to 'steal' KBR's technology in engineering and allowing unethical behavior within its ranks resulting in loss revenue and clients.

Advice to Management

Retain to what you have, rehire the younger old guys to support the young and listen to past failures and what works and what doesn't. Why beat your brow with new technology that may have the same results with old technology and less the costs. Cutting corners will always cost more in injuries, time and material. Hasn't anyone learned from this yet? Remove the Red Tape and eliminate unneccessary duble & triplicate paperwork including the overrated environmental regulations and the overall restriction in safety. This is another big concern why clients are turning away from new construction and relying onto what they have. Cost too much to build.

9. "Supply office supervisor"

I have been working at KBR full-time

Pros

To make the maximum use of my ability, knowledge and experience for serving the firm and this would result in personal as well as the organization’s continual growth and benefit. A strong leader, motivating teams to deliver effective solutions and the highest levels of performance. Able to demonstrate the motivation and commitment required to achieve objectives and meet tight deadlines. Possesses excellent interpersonal skills and can communicate concisely at all levels

Cons

Appointed to supervise all aspects of the supply chain process: Sourcing, Provisioning, Warehousing and Distribution, involved in identifying and implementing new initiatives in order to reduce supply chain time and cost.
    • Monitoring and updating SAP and MAXIMO as necessary.
    • Inventory controlling, producing reports and presentations to the respective managers.
    • Management and over-site of 10 staff
    • Data management, stock taking, reconciliation and pricing
    • Maintenance of a safe working environment for staff and visitors

Advice to Management

• Supervised the implementation of a computerised inventory system and the subsequent training and mentoring of eight users.
    • Ensured all stock levels were maintained in accordance with the company’s stock level directive
    • Reviewed supply performance by ensuring all Key Performance Indicators were achieved in line with the company’s robust business management system and monitoring regime

10. "It's a decent job. Hard work doesn't necessarily get rewarded here. But it's a safe work environment with decent pay"

Current Employee - Instrument Fitter in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Instrument Fitter in Longview, TX

I have been working at KBR full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working 4-10's, safe work environment. The people you work with are usually pretty knowledgeable about their craft. And did I mention 3 day weekends?

Cons

Hard to move up, not all who are in charge have actual knowledge. People who move up are usually friends of those already in power. Lately there has been a shift in the management philosophy of this company. A rep from HQ came to our site and threatened to hire a bunch of "Filipinos" to come do our work for half the pay. Needless to say, it wasn't the best way to promote a sense of pride and respect for our company

Advice to Management

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just like large gov suppresses and stagnates growth in business, so do excessive "safety" regulations that only serve to slow productivity which thusly discourage our clients from renewing our contracts. You've got too much fat in the offices. Cut the crap and get your head out of your behinds. Let's get to work. How about we do a quality job, safely, but also efficiently at a competitive rate?