KBS Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
KBS CEO Guy Hayward
Guy Hayward

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Definitely gives you the freedom to maintain a work/life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Large variety of clients and some very smart people in upper-middle management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Senior Art Director"

Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Art Director in New York, NY

I worked at KBS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, the best HR people, friendly environment, good creative leadership.

Cons

Lack of ambition. Getting better with the new CCO.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing towards creative work. Everything else will follow.

"Working at KBS"

I worked at KBS full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, unlimited time off, still some great people left to work with.

Cons

This place is leaking people from the bottom and the top. For a long time it was just younger successful creatives that would bounce to another agency. Then it was the top brass bouncing. Now it seems only the middle managers are sticking around. This place used to have a heart and feel like family. That couldn't be farther from the truth now.

Advice to Management

Good Luck

3. "Good culture, creative"

I worked at KBS full-time

Pros

Strong leadership that is open to new ideas. Pay a little low for brand new employees, but scales quickly with talent.

Cons

Some growing pains with recent acquisitions of smaller companies. Communication between companies is a little weak.

"Great working experience"

Former Employee - Digital Content Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital Content Manager in New York, NY

I worked at KBS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing company culture & benefits.
    - Good hiring methods, resulting in competent and motivating colleagues and teams.
    - Constantly striving for better programs, bigger business, and company morale.
    - Reasonable hours for an agency. Honestly. Definitely gives you the freedom to maintain a work/life balance.
    - When the agency lost some business and had to contract, they were extremely helpful and transparent with those being let go. No one left feeling unappreciated.

Cons

- Bad client, but the agency isn't to blame with this.

Advice to Management

I had a great experience working here, and I'm going to miss the place and the people, especially. Some of the most inspirational people in leadership I've had the pleasure of working with (looking at you, Katie & Matt).

"Worth a look at KBS"

Current Employee - Business Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Director in New York, NY

I have been working at KBS full-time

Pros

Mid size agency, family feel. Great young talent that just want to do good work and transform the business model.

Cons

In a transitional state with revamping talent, but mean a huge opportunity for talent that is willing to work and work down.

Advice to Management

ensure you are taking care of the talent that is worth keeping.

"Great people, Solid work,"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at KBS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

KBS is full of smart and friendly people, and many of the teams are close-knit but not cliquey, which makes day-to-day work more enjoyable and efficient.

Most of the clients are not marketing-first businesses, which gives strategy and product teams lots of room to shine, though it sometimes leaves creative teams frustrated.

New HR initiatives (in NY office, at least) are starting to help address some transparency and benefits problems, issues that probably contributed to employees on-the-fence deciding to accept other offers.

Office was recently renovated and has a bright, open design. Unless you live uptown, you'll prefer Soho / Hudson square to midtown, both for the neighborhood's vibe and the lunch options.

Cons

Senior leadership is generally smart and trust-worthy, but is kind of a boys club that you're most likely to break into by speaking loudest (literally) and getting yourself invited to happy hour whiskeys often.

All-agency meetings can feel like pep rallies, and when they include news of losing business, there's a drink-the-kool-aid feel to them. This hurts morale, rather than strengthening it. You're not advertising here, you're speaking to employees. Positive spin shouldn't be part of that.

Employee reviews have lacked structure/timetable, and compensation is lower than NY industry average. A brand new review process hopefully solves the first problem, but who knows about the second.

Advice to Management

Continue success/emphasis on hiring the best, most motivated candidates. Keep up increased effort on new business. 2016 was tough, but our grit is already paying off in 2017 with new wins.

But remember your employees like leaders because of their hard work and honesty, not their self fashioned celebrity/hero status around the office. Your experience is much different than ours, and our day-to-day satisfaction is first and foremost based on our team's leaders and dynamic. And in the end, better compensation will help retain talent more than any new workplace perk/program.

Apr 11, 2017 – President

Thank you for taking the time to write a very thorough and thoughtful review. We appreciate the time it took and the constructive nature of your note. So happy to hear that you are experiencing the... More

"CD"

I have been working at KBS full-time

Pros

great people working here that help each other out and are trying to do the best work possible given constantly shrinking client budgets.

Cons

not enough people working here. too much work, not enough bodies.

Advice to Management

need more people

Apr 11, 2017 – President

Thanks so much for your thoughts. I agree the breadth of work we have within the agency continues to expand. This is great news, but has a short-term effect of a very strained team. As such, we have... More

8. "Senior Designer/AD"

I worked at KBS full-time

Pros

Fantastic culture/employees, decent benefits, tons of opportunities.

Cons

Work/Life balance was always off.

Apr 11, 2017 – President

Thanks for your feedback. Our goal is to create a comprehensive employee experience which includes compensation, work/life balance and a supportive learning culture. There are 3 specific things we... More

"Flailing leadership and a failing company"

Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Strategist in New York, NY

I have been working at KBS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some very smart people to work with.
    - Plenty of booze and partying if you're into that.
    - Work life balance is reasonable so long as you're not pitching.
    - Great benefits, crap salary
    - More likely to get a promotion in title since they can't actual pay anyone more.

Cons

- Managers are great performing individuals who are hired or promoted and have no idea how to develop and direct people. Often micromanaging or just doing all the work themselves.
    - Executive Leadership claims one vision for the company, then pitches a different vision with every pitch.
    - Lots of loses - layoffs, lost accounts, lost pitches. No change in leadership or strategy. Anyone remember the definition of insanity?
    - Really stupid people making stupid decisions that everyone pays for.
    - CEO isn't all that bright or empathetic - claimed in an email after the election that was meant to comfort and calm people that he's a proud "brexiteer"

Advice to Management

Replace yourselves with mature leadership - or at least get some coaches. Be honest about the state of the company. Inspire people to your vision and then stick to a strategy that implements that vision.

Apr 11, 2017 – President

Thanks for sharing feedback. We can assure you that we’re committed to this agency. We will continue to evolve to meet the changing needs of both our employees and clients. We value your input and... More

"KBS"

Pros

There are big name clients and some very dedicated individuals that drive this agency.

Cons

The work of the junior level members is taken for granted and they do not pay well. After not paying a competitive salary, they expect employees to work insane hours and then do not look to promote internally when a more senior position opens up.

Advice to Management

Focus on your current staff and stop bringing in new individuals to try and solve all of the issues.

Apr 11, 2017 – President

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide feedback. Our intention is to provide a healthy work environment for all employees – which involves compensation, work/life balance, creative opportunity... More