KEYW Reviews in Hanover, MD | Glassdoor

KEYW President and Chief Executive Officer William J. Weber
William J. Weber

1. "Bravo!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent family-work life balance. Benefits are very generous. Management strives to provide a small-company feel through quarterly gifts, newsletters, cook-outs, etc.

Cons

Mobility can be difficult, but they are putting programs in place to accommodate more career development.

Advice to Management

None come to mind.

2. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

KeyW leadership has an open door policy, and any employee is free to stop by and talk to any manager in the company. KeyW has research and development projects that we can work on while also working on a contract. This gives us a chance to work with the latest technology and get to know other peoplewith similar interests.

Cons

I would like to see more networking events outside of work.

3. "Not too bad"

Current Employee - Cyber Security/Defense Research Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Cyber Security/Defense Research Engineer in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome Benefits. Morale Program is decent. Raises and bonuses are based on performance, not favoritism

Cons

Long hours and alot of the managers are clueless to much of the technical duties being performed. They make promises on delivery dates because they have no idea what it takes to produce a product.

Advice to Management

This is a tech company, there is no reason for the workers to be smarter than their supervisors. Ensure management knows what it takes to produce a product and can manage expectations

"Be Wary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

Pros

Truly is a great company as far as salary and benefits. There are also good people working here. Upper management is more concerned with the budget than the people, but lack the intestinal fortitude to tell you to your face.

Cons

I am honestly at a loss to not simply sound like a complainer. Hired for a specific division that was disbanded two months after my hiring date (a fact that higher management was aware of. I was a fully qualified employee with a ton of experience and was force moved into a division that conducted business that was outside my area of expertise. On top of that, the gaining division lacked the funding for me. It was their way of moving me out of the company without recognizing the fact that they made a mistake in the first place. In fairness, I believe this behavior was isolated to my sector and doesn't necessarily reflect the conduct of the entire company.

Advice to Management

Own up to your mistakes. Take the time to care about your employees as if they are the force behind the company's success - because they are. Sector leaders need more oversight to keep them from just doing whatever they feel "might work" at the expense of employees. Also, when you put someone in the position of management, make sure they are qualified. If they don't like, or won't, do personnel management, they aren't qualified to sit that seat.

6. "Almost a year"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coming from a big company, I have really enjoyed the corporate atmosphere better. To actually see the CEO daily, have the upper management more approachable, and believe they really care about their employees has been huge. Great relaxed working environment. The ability to contribute to important work the company does. They understand how to take care of people. This is one of the best places I have ever worked!

Cons

Smaller Company with a smaller focus area and appearing to not always want to grow in ways that could benefit the company.

Advice to Management

Continue to embrace a relaxed environment and take care of the people who do the work every day!

7. "A Great Experience"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Hanover, MD

I worked at KEYW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best benefits anywhere. Nothing I have received at any other employer is even close. The medical premiums were cheap and there were really minimal out of pocket costs. Even their middle tier health plan is better than the high end plan of 95% of companies. 401k match is better than you will find at any other company. Never seen anything like it, and it vested immediately. I was not high up the food chain, but I was routinely offered sports tickets from my manager and even executive management. And by sports tickets I'm talking about 2 seats in the skybox with an onfield pass for the Ravens game.

Executive management was always approachable. All the CXOs were great to interact with. Had particularly good experiences with the CAO, CFO, and Len. Very kind people.

Cons

They have a dispersed workforce. That's how government contracting is. It made communication and organizing events an issue sometimes.

Advice to Management

Sorry to hear about the loss of a great man. I'm sure his legacy will live on.

"Best company I have worked for."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hanover, MD
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Hanover, MD

Pros

KEYW really cares about their employees. The benefits and perks are top notch. Plenty of room to grow and move to other positions within the company.

Cons

I haven't found any yet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great benefits but terrible management"

Former Employee - Security/Defense Research Analyst in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Security/Defense Research Analyst in Hanover, MD

I worked at KEYW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, 401k, PTO, quarterly MWR program.

Cons

Too many under-qualified "cyber security experts" have been hired for positions as trainers.
    Communication is KEY, not KEYW. Management fails to convey information regarding company event and contract futures.
    Management fails to ensure quality individuals are hired and especially that they are retained.
    Management lies, specifically regarding the lack of bonuses "company-wide" at the start of 2014 (only managers received bonuses).
    No upward growth - you are trapped in your position.
    Managers are afraid to get unseated from their positions and they fear having their employees outshine them.
    This is the only cyber security contractor to LOSE money EVERY quarter. Look at the stock price and earnings statements!

Advice to Management

Only hire qualified applicants. Communicate with your employees.

"Great Employee Focused Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Employee focused. Casual dress and culture.

Cons

Poor employee review process. Internal personnel management processes are not efficient. Poor overall operations management.

Advice to Management

Start to adopt proven operations management practices. Company is large enough to standardize across different business units.

"Best for Contract Engineers and Senior Executives...otherwise it's all smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I worked at KEYW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are part of the original executive staff, you'll do well or if you have a decent manager who looks out for their staff.

Cons

They like to talk a big game of how great they are - other contractors in the area despise their arrogance.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse