KEYW Reviews | Glassdoor

KEYW President and Chief Executive Officer William J. Weber
William J. Weber

"Be Wary"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

Pros

Truly is a great company as far as salary and benefits. There are also good people working here. Upper management is more concerned with the budget than the people, but lack the intestinal fortitude to tell you to your face.

Cons

I am honestly at a loss to not simply sound like a complainer. Hired for a specific division that was disbanded two months after my hiring date (a fact that higher management was aware of. I was a fully qualified employee with a ton of experience and was force moved into a division that conducted business that was outside my area of expertise. On top of that, the gaining division lacked the funding for me. It was their way of moving me out of the company without recognizing the fact that they made a mistake in the first place. In fairness, I believe this behavior was isolated to my sector and doesn't necessarily reflect the conduct of the entire company.

Advice to Management

Own up to your mistakes. Take the time to care about your employees as if they are the force behind the company's success - because they are. Sector leaders need more oversight to keep them from just doing whatever they feel "might work" at the expense of employees. Also, when you put someone in the position of management, make sure they are qualified. If they don't like, or won't, do personnel management, they aren't qualified to sit that seat.

"Great benefits but terrible management"

Former Employee - Security/Defense Research Analyst in Hanover, MD
    Former Employee - Security/Defense Research Analyst in Hanover, MD

I worked at KEYW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay, 401k, PTO, quarterly MWR program.

Cons

Too many under-qualified "cyber security experts" have been hired for positions as trainers.
    Communication is KEY, not KEYW. Management fails to convey information regarding company event and contract futures.
    Management fails to ensure quality individuals are hired and especially that they are retained.
    Management lies, specifically regarding the lack of bonuses "company-wide" at the start of 2014 (only managers received bonuses).
    No upward growth - you are trapped in your position.
    Managers are afraid to get unseated from their positions and they fear having their employees outshine them.
    This is the only cyber security contractor to LOSE money EVERY quarter. Look at the stock price and earnings statements!

Advice to Management

Only hire qualified applicants. Communicate with your employees.

"Best for Contract Engineers and Senior Executives...otherwise it's all smoke and mirrors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I worked at KEYW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are part of the original executive staff, you'll do well or if you have a decent manager who looks out for their staff.

Cons

They like to talk a big game of how great they are - other contractors in the area despise their arrogance.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse

"Meh..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I worked at KEYW full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coworkers- I genuinely enjoyed my work associates

Cons

Terrible communications
    Company sends out too many promo items... I'd rather have a conversation or paid training luncheon instead of the 'stuff'

Advice to Management

Trim the fat. Don't wait for the good, talented people to get fed up and leave you.

"Poor direction, poor organization, uncaring management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO is among the best in industry, 401k matching is superior, health care his great

Cons

This company is a "body shop" so to speak. Highly motivated individuals seeking a challenge would probably be better served and valued with another company. I think salary is approximately 20% below market. Many people I have spoken with have had the impression they were going to do something other that what they are actually doing, but this happens at many companies. Simply put, management only cares about you as a person upon initial hire, after that you are a dollar sign or a number to them.

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees in a fashion other than the quarterly financial briefings.

"They talk a lot about opportunities, but it's hard to figure out how to get any of them"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

Pros

Option to telecommute
    Flex time
    Good paid time off

Cons

Management makes it very difficult to understand what the heck is going on - constant reshuffling and being dumped under random managers who don't necessarily care about my project
    Difficult to get new opportunities, request for raises / promotions completely ignored
    Underpaid

7. "Nepotism is Everywhere Among Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia (South Africa)

Pros

Company benefits and the HR team are excellent. The best I have ever seen.

Cons

Nepotism at its best among management. Unethical managers hire their relatives and friends just to burn budget. If you want to survive, you have to kiss up and be their friends. If you call out any wrong doing from management, they will give you hell until you quit.

Advice to Management

The company should apply strict rules to management to avoid nepotism. Also ban managers from hiring their own relatives to work under them or in the same division.

"Intel background hinders communication"

I worked at KEYW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The entire company is inovative, agile, and has a good work - play mix. There is even a "Chief Fun Officer" selected every year.

Cons

There's a huge lack of communication, not just virtical in the organization, but even horizontal. The company grew up in the Intel community, and their internal culture shows their background. Unfortunately, it causes a lot of problems.

Advice to Management

Management needs to communicate more with the staff and with peers.