KEYW Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
KEYW President and Chief Executive Officer William J. Weber
William J. Weber

"Not the worst, but lacks managment focus"

I worked at KEYW full-time

Pros

Nice facilities (maybe too much money spent on these). Good benefits and compensation. Many company events for employee's guests and families. A good business area to be focused on in current climate.

Cons

Management traditionally doesn't focus on Cyber-Security or have skills in this area. Many workers are very skilled, including middle-managers, but upper management not being focused on this area means the company as a whole is rudderless. Morale and Welfare programs seemed a little disingenuous, as if they want to give the appearance of caring, but don't actually care. Tends to be too much tolerance of "important" people within the company approaching their desires with verbal tirades and general jerk-iness. This shouldn't be tolerated in a professional environment. If allowed to occur without repercussions, it continues and becomes the corporate culture, instead of one based on respect, and expressing your displeasure with someone's performance in a more constructive manner.

Advice to Management

Get some focus. Hire a Chief of Information Security that is at the same level as other C-level positions and listen to them. Eat your own dogfood. Way too much of management not being willing to follow basic physical (badge wearing) and technical security best practices, which sends a message to everyone else that it's not that important. Foster a pleasant working environment that is real, not affected. Don't just fake it by playing Jimmy Buffet music in the hallways and "banning" ties. Actually let people do their work in an actual laid back environment that encourages creativity and comes down on people when they're jerks for no reason and you'll see increased productivity, worker satisfaction and loyalty increases, and become more respected in the information security space. Don't just "play" at being a Cyber-Security company because it's the latest industry buzz word. Be a premier Cyber-Security company and dedicate yourselves to it. The company will be much better for it, and you will have your choice of experts fighting to be part of your company.

Apr 19, 2017 – Recruiting Operations Manager

Thank you for providing feedback. While we would love to read only glowing reviews, thought out constructive criticism is important as well. Thank you for taking the time to provide that.

"Great pay, not great for working parents"

I have been working at KEYW (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of KEYW is the pay.

Cons

They are not family friendly

"KEYW - Subcontractor 2013"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Pros

Really good benefits and salary. I never worked at the corporate office building so I can't speak to the office atmosphere, etc.

Cons

KEYW was only a subcontractor on my particular contract, which proved to make things difficult for the KEYW subcontractors at that particular time.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your employees when needed, even if it is against a prime (although I don't believe my particular manager is with the firm anymore). Keep winning contracts!

5. "Bravo!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent family-work life balance. Benefits are very generous. Management strives to provide a small-company feel through quarterly gifts, newsletters, cook-outs, etc.

Cons

Mobility can be difficult, but they are putting programs in place to accommodate more career development.

Advice to Management

None come to mind.

Apr 19, 2017 – Recruiting Operations Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. There is always room for improvement and our Internal Mobility Program is a result of feedback from our employees. Is has been a few short months ... More

6. "Good, could be better"

I have been working at KEYW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefit costs are highly competitive. Tickets to fun events.

Cons

Recently communication has been poor especially around significant changes.

Advice to Management

Communicate well around significant changes that have high impact.

Apr 19, 2017 – Recruiting Operations Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and provide feedback. You are right, our benefits are extremely competitive and you can't beat the free tickets. In regards to internal communication ... More

7. "Great Company/Great People"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at KEYW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Undergoing any change at the CEO level is particularly challenging. New thoughts, new ideas, and new challenges cause anxiety. That being said, I am willing to give the new Sr. Management the benefit of any doubt. The new CEO has done exactly what he has said he was going to do( i.e Hexis and SETA divestures) as well as some key contract wins ( Cybercom/NRL) bodes well for future growth. I like my Division Manager and find him to be one of the best managers I have ever had.

Cons

Nothing negative to say about this company.

8. "Great culture!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hanover, MD

I have been working at KEYW full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

KeyW leadership has an open door policy, and any employee is free to stop by and talk to any manager in the company. KeyW has research and development projects that we can work on while also working on a contract. This gives us a chance to work with the latest technology and get to know other peoplewith similar interests.

Cons

I would like to see more networking events outside of work.

Apr 19, 2017 – Recruiting Operations Manager

Thank you for providing feedback. While it has taken us some time to provide a response to you, note taken on additional networking events. Our next one is on 5/4 in MD. Details on or LinkedIn page.

9. "Nepotism is Everywhere Among Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia (South Africa)

Pros

Company benefits and the HR team are excellent. The best I have ever seen.

Cons

Nepotism at its best among management. Unethical managers hire their relatives and friends just to burn budget. If you want to survive, you have to kiss up and be their friends. If you call out any wrong doing from management, they will give you hell until you quit.

Advice to Management

The company should apply strict rules to management to avoid nepotism. Also ban managers from hiring their own relatives to work under them or in the same division.

10. "Project Lead, System Analyst"

Current Employee - Project Lead in Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Current Employee - Project Lead in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I have been working at KEYW (More than 3 years)

Pros

Local and corporate leadership are outstanding.
    The benefits at KEYW are the best in our region.

Cons

From my perspective the issues that exist are not related to the actual work we do. I feel corporate leadership could be doing a better job to increase company value. Our stock prices are low.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on managing the employees and giving us the support we need to do our jobs. Put more emphasis on increasing company value.

11. "re-Focused"

Pros

Company that cares about its employees and the market/customers we support. Some of the hardest workers I have ever worked with.

Cons

Have just gone through a reorg, but it has simplified what used to be a more complicated management structure. A common challenge among contractors is how to keep employees that are primarily on different customer sites engaged. I think we deal with it better than most, by the programs we have in place.

Advice to Management

A continued approach of reaching out and visiting employees on site as well as using technology to reach out to employees (skype, video teleconference, etc.).