KPMG Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

KPMG CEO Lynne Doughtie
Lynne Doughtie
1 Rating

Cons

"Great to learn, just don't get stuck here"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Lisle, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*200 hours of PTO are awesome- but you'll never use all of them or hardly any.
    *Jumpstart summer hours were cool- if being judged what time you leave the office is ok with you
    *You make life long friends who are just as miserable
    *You learn fast when you're dumped into fires- sink or swim
    *It looks good on a resume but everyone knows the "joys of public accounting"- they're impressed by how long you stay.
    *They'll pay for your CPA/any continuing education that is required

Cons

*You quickly realize you're merely an underpaid slave. I switched to industry with an 11k raise. They will take advantage of your negotiating skills when you're a fresh grad.
    *Turnover is insane so you had to be prepared to "pick up the slack"
    *Higher ups gush about the "flexibility" and "work/life balance..THERE IS NONE. I once had to work at a Denny's due to a power outage.
    *Hours are long, and by long I mean work in the office until 8pm and then take your laptop home to work some more.
    *Training is more about "this is how you do it" not so much as to why, rarely there is that one manager who takes the time to train you correctly
    *There is -0 chances to move up in Tax. I know associates who have been there for 8 years plus with no increase in position. I also have friends in Advisory who were promoted to Senior within their first year, it varies within the departments.
    *Favoritism is HUGE

Advice to Management

Quit treating your employees like cattle and take responsibility for poor training. An employee should never be required to respond to an "urgent" email at 3am- yes this actually happens. Please encourage your employees and motivate them properly, a simple "thank you" email goes a long way. Directors should be more involved- if you are my PML it would be nice for you to actually be in the office I work in and actually take your time to give me a review.

2. "Great Career Builder // Terrible Values"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great career builder / boost
    Industry exposure
    Networking at national level
    Prestige
    Great perks: travel benefits, great technology, etc
    Every day is different

Cons

Chicago Financial Management / Financial Services - Insurance partner is discriminatory against homosexuals
    Leadership is deceitful and covert
    Women are paid less than their male counterparts
    Discrimination and sexism are everyday norms at this firm
    Staff have no say in what projects they desire to be on
    Will cut staff salaries / bonuses instead of streamlining leadership
    Every project I was engaged on I witnessed direct bigotry and sexism from all levels in the firm (Staff to Partner)

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach: having values and a mission statement mean nothing if you allow your work force to be sexists and bigots
    Be honest with your employees about firm performance and reward them appropriately

3. "Manager, Advisory"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people with diverse culture.

There are opportunities for advancement but you need to be willing to play the game.

Cons

KPMG is run by partners, each trying to build their own fiefdom which is much different from a corporate hierarchy. For the most part partners are decent people, however there will be situations where Partners or MD's will do anything to advance their own cause which makes for a lousy work environment.

They often promise training but don't live up to their own training commitments.

Advice to Management

Let's face it, you really don't "live by the charter" so just tear it up. Treat people with respect, empathy and compassion - that's all it takes!

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to various clients.

Cons

The group I worked in was not organized well. You were expected to have so many billable hours, but then you would be in trouble if you reported the actual hours you worked. There was NO work life balance. Even if you completed your work, you were expected to sit there until the wee hours of the morning (2am) after getting there at 8am. Then you were also expected to come in on both Saturdays and Sundays regardless of if your work was done or not. The managers had their favorites for staff, who they gave all the big clients to, and then left everyone to figure out how to get their billable hours. The attrition rate in my group was over 80% every busy season. HR knew that this group was an issue, but did nothing about it. Note that the group I reported to was different than others. I had friends in other departments that did not have the same experience.

Advice to Management

HR stop ignoring the issue and saying, "That's just how that group is." I would have loved to stay to get more exposure, but not under those conditions.

6. "Old Boys Club"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Competitive Salary
    Flexible work environment

Cons

Decisions are made at a glacial pace.
    Little to no innovation
    No career path for non-client facing staff
    Partners & Managing Directors rewarded for short-term behavior -- every man for himself
    Incredibly risk adverse
    No global thinking

"Undervalued in Lisle."

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Lisle, IL

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I gained experience in sales and use tax compliance while working for a Big 4 firm.

Cons

LOTS of turnover since Feb. 2012. I know of interns at smaller firms that make more than our Senior Associates. The work is redundant. Doesn't "feel" like you work for a Big 4 firm (no interaction with partners within SALT or employees in other service lines. Not a diverse office by any means.

Advice to Management

Increase compensation, become more involved in the career planning of Associates and Sr. Associates.

"A good place to start, but value measured in hours, not innovation"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Lots of opportunities to interact with big-name clients, people are relatively intelligent for the most part, nice to be a part of a huge young workforce

Cons

Although most people are smart, the value-add of most associates (and even seniors) is the ability to sit down, shut up, and not ask to go home. Many times, especially during busy season, where poor planning by senior associates (i.e. 25-28 year olds) leads to "fire drills" at the end of audits. Little buy-in from managers, partners, etc. and low compensation for hours worked

Advice to Management

Stay on par with other Big Four, lose the "old boy's network" attitude at the top (it's an accounting firm after all)

"Tough Going"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good place to learn accounting and audit testing. People around you are generally your age so it is easy to relate and get along with your peers.

Cons

Work/ life balance was horrible. Worked 7 days a week for many weeks in a row. Management doesn't care if their engagement is run like crap and people are depressed/ overworked. Experience at KPMG can be great or terrible just by sheer luck of the client you get staffed on.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees.

"Get in and Get, or have friends."

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good starting pay and being from a big 4 means something. Learned a lot and nice to work with people your own age

Cons

Up or out philosphy. Very political. Lots of gossiping and shit-talking. Managers played favorites always. Asked to eat hours. Not worth it.

Advice to Management

Treat people fairly.

11. "Meh"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Job security was strong. People were professional.

Cons

Boring, boring, boring. Not an entrepreneurial culture.

Advice to Management

Hire more nonboring people and find some nonboring clients.

Showing 17 of 9,768 reviews