KPMG Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Senior Auditor"

Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Auditor in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work experience, enjoyed working with my colleagues.

Cons

As is the case with any large organization, the bureaucracy can be tough to manage. It's a good long-term career for those who want this lifestyle and is a good stepping-stone for a good career in private industry

2. "A great corporate culture primer"

Current Employee - Economic and Valuation Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Economic and Valuation Services in Chicago, IL

Pros

Sink or swim experience is invaluable

Cons

Like a poker game but with your livelihood

Advice to Management

Tangible and TP hangout on at least a weekly basis. Intangible would do well to follow suit.

3. "Good Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Take good care of their employees, reward them for their hard work. Culture is full of supportive people.

Cons

Long hours even beyond busy season

4. "Good Place to Start"

Current Employee - EVS Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - EVS Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a lot quickly, highly respected company, many exit opportunities, upward advancement is clear, competitive and fast paced

Cons

Work long hours for most of the year, pay is not great, work is not always fulfilling

"Great to learn, just don't get stuck here"

Former Employee - Tax Associate in Lisle, IL
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in Lisle, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

*200 hours of PTO are awesome- but you'll never use all of them or hardly any.
    *Jumpstart summer hours were cool- if being judged what time you leave the office is ok with you
    *You make life long friends who are just as miserable
    *You learn fast when you're dumped into fires- sink or swim
    *It looks good on a resume but everyone knows the "joys of public accounting"- they're impressed by how long you stay.
    *They'll pay for your CPA/any continuing education that is required

Cons

*You quickly realize you're merely an underpaid slave. I switched to industry with an 11k raise. They will take advantage of your negotiating skills when you're a fresh grad.
    *Turnover is insane so you had to be prepared to "pick up the slack"
    *Higher ups gush about the "flexibility" and "work/life balance..THERE IS NONE. I once had to work at a Denny's due to a power outage.
    *Hours are long, and by long I mean work in the office until 8pm and then take your laptop home to work some more.
    *Training is more about "this is how you do it" not so much as to why, rarely there is that one manager who takes the time to train you correctly
    *There is -0 chances to move up in Tax. I know associates who have been there for 8 years plus with no increase in position. I also have friends in Advisory who were promoted to Senior within their first year, it varies within the departments.
    *Favoritism is HUGE

Advice to Management

Quit treating your employees like cattle and take responsibility for poor training. An employee should never be required to respond to an "urgent" email at 3am- yes this actually happens. Please encourage your employees and motivate them properly, a simple "thank you" email goes a long way. Directors should be more involved- if you are my PML it would be nice for you to actually be in the office I work in and actually take your time to give me a review.

6. "Associate Designer"

Former Contractor - Senior Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Senior Graphic Designer in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great People, Good Environment, Amazing Team Projects, Diversity

Cons

Fast Paced Environment, Large Corporate

7. "Very good company"

Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

growth, smart people all around you

Cons

gets too pressuring at times

"Best I've seen"

Current Employee - Associate - Cyber Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate - Cyber Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO days out of the gate = 5 weeks. Best I've seen period
    Pension plan
    401k matching .5 for every dollar up to 5%
    Variable Comp = bonus each year
    Annually pay raise - assuming your alive and doing your job
    Great professionals working at KPMG. The nonesense of unprofessionalism is not part of our culture.
    Culture - We pride ourselves on being great and humble. People are great to work with and there is ALWAYS room to advance here. Don't let someone tell you that your stuck. Completely not true!
    Leadership is as transparent as its going to get. No surprises to the staff
    Medical insurance - normal rates for great coverage
    Compensation - Overall, I am well compensated. Retirement is secured with Pension plan and 401k(I've maxed it out) and everything else is gravy
    Work Experience - I work in Cyber Security Services, I get to work on various types of cyber security work. Not all of it is the glit and glam but it allows me to see the different domains of Security. Great experience and will pay off in the end absolutely!
    Christmas - we shut down for about 10-12 days. We don't use PTO for it :)
    PTO - we are allowed extended periods PTO, I take a month off using my PTO and travel the world. Where else are you able to do that? I have never heard of someone telling me that they can take off a month for vacation. However, I would assume as anyone climbs the ranks at any company or firm this will becoming increasingly difficult to do. So I'm making the best of it while I can.

Cons

Some projects are better than others :)
    Travel - if you work in Advisory, you will travel, period. Though, hotel points can be racked up very quickly. Free vacations if people are smart about traveling. Sometimes there is a need to travel Sunday night. Thats the cost of having a great career and working for a Big 4 Firm. I wouldn't quit because of it
    Pressure of consulting - you know what your getting into. It will either make you stronger & hungry or you will quit for various reasons. There is no middle ground.
    Work/life balance is alive and well here however, I gave it 4 stars because there are times you will travel at a moments notice

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. If anything, perhaps a little bit of relief for the medical insurance

9. "Chicago Management Consulting - Advisory"

Current Employee - Consulting in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consulting in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

you get to learn a lot, which is great. a lot of different opportunities, almost never doing the same thing

Cons

you learn a lot by someone just throw you into a mess.
    a lot of differently opportunity if you know how to kiss rear ends and network your way up.
    never doing the same thing means you never get to become an expert on one area.
    SUPER cut throat. and no one cares much about you. Very cold

Advice to Management

cut the hierarchy out. stop the "network" thing, you hired me, you should know what i am good at, without selling my skill at those happy hours events!

10. "Great experience right out of college"

Current Employee - Advisory Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advisory Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Endless opportunities to expand your base of knowledge and contribute to a team right away. Our clients are some of the biggest and most important in their industries and our engagements focus on the issues that matter most to their senior leaders. within six months you can expect to be leading people and shaping aspects of your engagements. The people you work with will be smart, kind, and motivated, it's never a drag going into work when the people always make it fun and enjoyable. KPMG really focuses on their people and rewards those who work hard.

Cons

There are long hours, high expectations, and demanding tasks...and it never really ends. Sometimes it feels like an engagement can drag on forever and often expectations of your daily tasks can change with zero notice.

Advice to Management

Focus on empowering your employees to have a say in what they work on and who they work with. The engagement staffing process is a bit opaque and makes it difficult to know what you're getting into. Encourage employees to grow even more than just the minimum CPE requirements, greater encouragement for earning certifications and designations could contribute to wins and quality of work.

Showing 194 of 10,440 reviews