KPMG Reviews in Mountain View, CA | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great place to start"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to develop a solid foundation out of college. You will lear everything to kick start your career and also develop and strong work ethic. Great and robust training.

Cons

Long hours. "working for the machine". Limited mentoring.

2. "Resume Builder"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Resume builder
    Counts toward your CPA

Cons

worked 7 days a week until 10pm with NO OVERTIME for weeks straight
    zero work life balance

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and pay them overtime

"KPMG"

Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate - Advisory in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG (More than a year)

Pros

For younger people starting out this is a great job to get your feet wet and a great introduction to the work force.

Cons

For older established careers if you start at the bottom the hours can be too long and you will miss out on the social connections if you want to be at home with your family.

Advice to Management

No advice. It is what it is and most people know what to expect going in. Great place to learn how to negotiate bureaucracy

"The Most Oppressive Place I Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learn the profession; interesting work, but not a lot of variety. Great junior people; eager to learn and willing to lend a hand. A few terrific senior partners; too bad I didn't work for them. Looks great on a resume when you go for the next job. I learned all I could about the particular area I worked in spite of the overwhelmingly bad management. Most of the people I worked with are long gone.

Cons

I was treated like second class scum by my senior manager, who did nothing to help me advance my career. When asking a question to expand my knowledge and improve my performance I was called "stupid," I was derided for not already knowing the answer, and was told to "go look it up in a book and when you have the answer then come tell me." I had another direct female manager who came in late every morning, obviously hungover, slopping coffee all over herself, and would come to me and say "[my name] I'm not going to take this crap from you anymore" and other such pleasant greetings in front of all my co-workers. Never was I complimented on my work product or how hard I worked. Yet, when I finally left the company, there were 17 people at my going away luncheon, including several senior partners. But of course, the person who I had slaved for for over 7 years had a convenient excuse not to show up.

Advice to Management

Beware the sycophants who suck up to senior management but treat their junior staff like chattel. Treat people with dignity and respect; help people who are eager to learn new skills and enhance their performance instead of putting them down.

"Motto "great place to BUILD your career" rings true"

Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Internal Audit Manager in Mountain View, CA

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Fabulous opportunity to gain experience
    - Translatable skills to many other careers
    - Highly respected on your resume

Cons

- Bad work/life balance
    - Really depends on who is on your team and what clients you are working for
    - Doesn't pay nearly as well as comparable positions outside Big 4
    - Time tracking and billable hours is SOOOO stressful

Advice to Management

Hire more staff, scope projects more realistically, reward performance with higher bonuses, make more of an effort to hold on to your best employees

6. "Great Place to Learn"

Current Employee - Risk Consultant in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Risk Consultant in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Great Place to Learn and develop skills

Cons

Work life balance
    under staffed

Advice to Management

Hire plenty of staff

7. "Everyone put on your happy faces"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Mountain View, CA

Pros

It's a pool of knowledge; good trainibg ground. Great place to start a career. You will learn a lot it very little time!

Cons

Think if it as a frat/sorority where the first year associates are pledging and you to do whatever upper management asks.

Advice to Management

Treat senior associates better especially competent ones. Because if the competent ones leave, you're left with second years who aren't ready to be seniors and then what?

"Good opportunity for starting a career"

Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Good career paths
    Smart people
    Good benefits, time off, and supportive of work-life balance.

Cons

Lack of sophisticated leadership
    Lack of development plans
    Do not support ongoing education/ executive education or post graduate degrees

Advice to Management

Leadership need better programs to understand how to motivate people and encourage to think outside box.

9. "Great place to start your career. Challenging to build."

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

Pros

If you get connected with the right people, you can definitely have some incredible experiences and meet great clients. Lots of opportunities are available for young staff members who show a lot of initiative.

Cons

It's easy to feel trapped by managers who don't want to share you with other engagements. You can end up spending years doing the same kind of work and the decision for your promotions is entirely in their hands.

Advice to Management

KPMG management should (1) increase overall compensation, (2) get more involved in understanding staff members' interests and goals, and (3) better support staff who show individual initiative by breaking the 'tradition' to reward them with promotions or other incentives.

10. "Neutral on KPMG"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in Mountain View, CA

Pros

Overall I think that KPMG is an OK place to work and start a career, but advancement in the firm is more about knowing the right people and kissing the right butts and avoiding getting hit with the blame for anything.

Cons

Long hours, mediocre pay and incompetent quote/unquote professionals make most days at KPMG less than bearable. Overall if you can put up with the BS its ok.

Advice to Management

I think that management needs to realize a lot of their staff are quite incompetent and rely heavily on the more advanced staff. Unfortunately, most of the rock stars realize this early on and leave for greener pastures since we don't know how to keep them around. As a result, the mediocre butt-kissers become the next wave of management.

Showing 35 of 10,425 reviews