KPMG Reviews | Glassdoor

Lynne Doughtie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Awful people"

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to audit in a big 4 firm.

Cons

Terrible management. Evil. No work-life balance. 2nd yr associates in charge b/c either managers leave or are not around. Immature 2nd yrs at that. It's all about processes and not actual thinking. Audits don't do anything to help asides from make money for the company.

Advice to Management

Start using your brains and think about what makes an audit successful. Actually be considerate of your employees.

"Please stay away"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing that I can think of.

Cons

Extremely unprofessional people. A lot of politics and it’s all about who likes whom. Pays peanuts compared to the hours they make you work. Clients locations are in weird remote places. No work life balance. Busy season if 7 months i.e. you will work 45-50 hours for 7 straight months.

Advice to Management

Please work with HR and spend some time to understand people and their concerns. There are many unhappy people in the firms.

"Oracle Database Administrator (K-Tech St. Louis)"

Former Employee - Oracle Database Administrator (K-Tech St Louis) in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The firm actually promotes great benefits and supports many good causes.

Cons

70 hour weeks; zero comp time offered.

No work / life balance. On-call is horrendous when it is your week, which is somewhat acceptable in this field, but never a single hour of comp-time offered by mgmt, which was unacceptable. It ruined my personal and family life, so I quit before it killed me. The bonus was only ~1.5 percent, which also did not make up for the excessive work-load.

My particular leader who was in Montvale, New Jersey...she would often yell at me over phone loud enough that my co-workers could hear her over the handset; I should have turned her into HR, but regret I never did. One example was I worked an issue all night long going to bed 4am. I emailed team I was going to sleep in and work from home when I woke up, then immediately was chastised for not driving downtown and being "onsite and at my desk" by 9am. This was the final straw.

$5 per day to park in Downtown St. Louis. Recruiter and middle mgmt offered me to work-from-home 1-2 days per week prior to accepting job, but once hired, they reneged and I was only able to do so 1 day per week, even though I had those details in writing.

Bed-checks were also daily ritual by my leader. One Friday, after working 60-hour week, my co-worker said he'd had enough for one week and was going home. I said "me too". It was not 10 minutes later that we both received an email asking our where-abouts, as M/S LYNC showed our laptops as being "disconnected". This was followed by text. This is not acceptable in any setting, definitely not a professional I.T. setting....and reminded be of back when we were in Kindergarten.

I observed that KPMG is a decent company, and K-Tech certainly has some good teams to work for in the St. Louis office, but I would run as fast as you can from the Oracle DBA / SQL Server team, unless you are homeless and need a job.

Advice to Management

See "cons", self-explanatory.

"Horrible People"

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vacation pay if you can make it through busy season.

Cons

Everything else. Poor pay, awful people and terrible management.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves and bring on decent people who have some caring for human beings.

5. "Senior Audit Associate"

Former Employee - Senior Audit Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Audit Associate in New York, NY

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Brand name, some decent people

Cons

Some managers are not qualified to be managers--they're just the ones that were promoted because they did not quit. Pay at the entry and senior levels are abominable--I know people who work in the middle of no where, have not spent countless hours studying for a licensing exam, and did not pursue an additional 30 credit hours, that make more than I did. Bonuses are poor. Cannot relate to leadership. As many people know, the pay per hour in public, factoring in busy season, is ridiculously low. People going the BS Accounting/150 hour/CPA/Big 4 route should explore other career options. While an accounting degree is great, you can make much more money much faster outside of Big 4 with an accounting undergrad. One example would be working at a ratings agency and pursuing a CFA, or at a financial services company like AMEX, Capital One, or something similar. If considering a 5th year, consider a Masters in Finance. If MBA is in your plan, realize that while Big 4 can get you in, it's not the most efficient way--people working 40 hour jobs get into top programs. At the end of the day, do what you have to do, but don't limit your options.

Advice to Management

Pay Audit Associates and Senior Audit Associates better.

"Racist"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent perks, salary is ok (nothing special), jumpstart Fridays in the summer (you never jumpstart in tax) great culture and efforts to integrate diversity and inclusion.

Cons

Long hours
    Never ending busy season especially in Audit and Tax
    Disrespectful Seniors and Managers
    Lack of support from performance managers

Advice to Management

Make sure HR is more involved with practice decisions. Certain groups need to embrace people from different backgrounds instead of being prejudiced. Create a work/life balance across the board to eliminate the crazy turnover!

7. "Architect ( Ktech )"

Current Contractor - Architect in Montvale, NJ
    Current Contractor - Architect in Montvale, NJ

I have been working at KPMG as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

For Technology jobs- Above average US compensation , Perceived Brand name , Easy Tech interviews . Long Term Contract . offer employee status but may accept to contracts at high rates.

Cons

Legacy tech with very conservative ( aka old !) processes where Engineers may end up loosing skill set doing odd jobs . Architects are power point driven , very limited access to resources . beware of opportunity presented to you and ask right questions and check for red flags before you leave your current job. Contractor are valued much less than employee for project allocation , access to resources. very few ( 1 out of 50?) are converted to employee .

Advice to Management

Guess 360 review will help to expose the gap . ask why contracting is hanging in year after year( hint : lost the edge doing mundane thing for employee )

8. "Boston Office Can Be Very Toxic"

Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Intern - Hourly in Boston, MA

I worked at KPMG as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Many workers were friendly.

They had many events to welcome new workers.

Cons

I interned at the Boston office during the final year of my graduate studies. I was initially very excited about my internship, however that soon changed. Management placed me into a group that not only was in its "off season" but also required more experience than I had at the time. KPMG advertised its "open door policy" and "quality training." I found this not to be true. The team I was assigned quickly labeled me as unqualified for their line of work. They provided me with very little work despite my constant requests to help. They also gave me very little instruction in how to use soft wear or complete tasks that I was unfamiliar with. I asked to be transfered to a different department, but my requests were ignored. I spent my entire internship trapped in a group that clearly did not want me and provided me with very little on the job training. As someone who was eager to learn and had done well in school and other employments, it was highly frustrating to feel like my skills were being wasted. Furthermore, it was particularly discouraging to know that my department quickly labeled me as unqualified for their line of work but refused to help me transfer to avoide wasting my time and their resources.

More time was spent promoting KPMG's brand, than was spent on the quality of training or work produced.

Advice to Management

Focus more on people and less on your brand.

People are your most valuable resource, treat them with respect.

If you make a mistake (such as placing someone in a group they were unqualified for), own up to it and work to resolve the problem.

Don't ignore capable people who want to help.

Reconize workers as individuals, not numbers.

9. "Don't work there!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at KPMG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience. They company invest a lot in your learning.

Cons

There is a lack of work and life balance. You are treated like a number.

Advice to Management

Take the feedback received from employee surveys seriously

10. "Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Variety of assignments from different sectors

Cons

Low pay compared to competitors

Showing 476 of 10,434 reviews