KPMG Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Dawn be gong"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at KPMG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Safe job, literally impossible to be fire

Cons

- long hours
    - not providing value to anyone
    -no on cares about your failure/success

"Get in and Get out in 3 years"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience at big 4 looks good on your resume; lots of on the job training. In house training is decent.

Cons

The Cleveland office is unfortunately an old boy's club. Most of the male partners come from uneducated blue collar families & no nothing outside of FASBs or Tax Code. As a female I couldn't wait to get out of there. Many of the male partners regularly hit on the much younger females. Lots of pressure to get everything done perfectly & done quickly. Lots of favoritism on the better jobs and lots of travel.

Advice to Management

Prepare for lots of turnover just before or after employees make Manager. Increase soft skill & harassment training especially to Sr. Managers & partners.

"A Great Place to Build a Career in Checking Boxes and Working Past Midnight"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Colleagues are smart and fun. As a result, office parties are fun, and I've made some great friends at the firm - which is definitely helped by a "we can get through this together" mentality during busy season.

- There are some great managers and partners that set a great example on how to think and act in a professional setting.

- The employee networks are amazing - especially pride@kpmg. They have an amazing annual conference with some truly inspiring speakers and workshops.

- Pay is fair, and amount of PTO days (25!) is great.

- You get to see a wide variety of businesses, and I personally loved going on plant tours to see how things are made. Gives you a broad understanding of how businesses work, from manufacturing to sales to profit.

- It is a good resume builder due to the name recognition.

Cons

- It's true that the job opens up opportunities in your career, but mostly into the roles you don't want (internal audit, accounting or financial reporting). If you want to switch to something more interesting (like marketing, operations, sales or even just plain corporate finance), you will need to work a lot harder to find a role with a company that will take a chance on you, because in their eyes, you don't have the experience yet - no matter how many years you have in external auditing. Even recruiters try to funnel you into an internal audit role with the promise that after a couple years, you'll potentially be able to transfer into finance or another role.

- Crazy hours. Not as bad as investment managers, but the kind of bad that makes you wonder what you're doing with your life to do this to yourself for a job you hate. And the sad part is that you get used to it.

- The KPMG clients in Chicago - at least from a consumer and industrial standpoint - are not very sexy. No Walgreens or Sears or McDonald's - just mostly smaller industrial clients that no one has heard of, and they're located so far out in the burbs that you spend over 2 hours in a car every day. Not as much flexibility with working from the office as I thought I'd have, mostly driven by managers who live in the burbs and insist on the team being out there with them.

- When I started in 2013, managers would try to encourage us by saying how the longer you stay, the greater flexibility you get, and it was true. However, within the course of 4 years, countless PCAOB inspection failures and an increasing culture of inspection paranoia, I saw this change drastically to the point where senior managers and even partners were working past midnight just like the staff. There was no longer a clear incentive to staying - especially when compiled with the fact that the job shifted to being 75% SOX/controls documentation. You soon realize that SOX work is a complete check-the-box kind of exercise where no one really cares if the client got it right - only that our documentation is good enough to pass inspection.

- This seems to always be the norm, but no one in audit was happy with their job. When you go around asking people why they're still there, they say it's because it's a better job than those they see people doing at clients, which are usually roles in financial reporting, internal audit, or accounting. What everyone doesn't realize is that there's a whole world of jobs out there outside of the small bubble of accounting and auditing, but hardly anyone goes outside of the box to find these roles - so they stay and just complain about the job constantly. And I don't blame them, I did that too... because the job is really a bummer.

- Clients tend to not care about the audit (or you), they only want it to be done. And the market hardly cares either, even when you find something "big" and issue a material weakness. Which makes you realize that you're not adding much value to the world, despite the fact that auditors are necessary for a public market.

- Although most people are fun and smart, some managers are really bad. Luckily you get to work with multiple managers all the time so you get to better understand what kind of manager you like, but some are just so stressed out all the time by inspections that they're unreasonable and rude. Like... HR-violations kind of rude.

- If you don't book PTO a year in advance when your schedule is still open, your manager may say no to your PTO request - which tends to happen often when a fire drill is expected every other day and they insist on you being there just in case.

- Although the employee networks are amazing, there is vast underrepresentation of diverse ethnicities in the Chicago office.

In sum: After moving on to my next job and looking back at my 4 years at KPMG, you couldn't offer me a high enough salary to go back to auditing -- especially at KPMG if the culture continues to revolve around inspection paranoia. I'd recommend anyone looking at this job to really think about their future career path and if it's not internal audit, accounting or financial reporting to not go into public accounting. And I bet that whatever other job you find will be 100% more interesting and will allow you to have a life outside of work. Win-win.

Advice to Management

- Hire more diverse employees. It's unacceptable to send out a new hire announcement (poorly timed on MLK day) that shows that 0 black associates were hired that winter.
    - Find a way to pass inspections so that people are less stressed.
    - Get clients that make people want to work there.
    - Give a reason for staff to stay, because there isn't one currently.

"Great people - bad work and worse work-life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will make great friends

Cons

its awful. The hours as a tax senior are nightmarish. My busy season is 6 months long and we avg charge about 65 hrs to client. Keep in mind if you charge 65 hrs you probably have 15-20 hr per week as down time in the office as well.

5. "Senior associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting exposure and chance to interact with senior management

Cons

Political, some race bias exists

Advice to Management

Focus on deepening knowledge than promoting ghetto politics

6. "Good Benefits - Poor Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Office Services Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Office Services Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Lots of perks.

Cons

Long hours. Poor work/life balance. Leadership doesn't address issues.

Advice to Management

Don't just claim to address issues brought up in the Employee Engagement Survey, actually do it. Provide one-on-one leadership support to middle management, the MSOs you release are not helpful at all.

7. "You're just a number to management"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only pro of working for KPMG is saying "I work for KPMG" to impress others. Oh, and the pay was decent enough to keep us working there.

Cons

A novel could be written about the cons. Primarily, associates are treated like numbers. You're allocated solely based on need, not merit. Being staffed on a small client is by far the worst sentence at this company. All of the work rests on five staff members or less to audit AN ENTIRE COMPANY'S financial statements and controls. The managers and partners only care about the clients that generate revenue.

Managers feel as though they have graduated from helping out the staff in any way, shape or form, aside from stating what to do next. This was literally said by all managers AND the partner that I worked under. They absolutely refused to get in the trenches with the staff and help get work done. They all left at 5PM on the dot and left the staff working into the long hours of the night, until the last week of busy season when they maybe stayed a couple of extra hours longer.

The review process is completely biased. Managers and partners can freely write anything they please into reviews, even personal opinions, which were always completely subjective.

Advice to Management

Management is severely blind to the fact that the new work force is made purely of millenials. The aged corporate culture has to change immediately, or the turnover rate will only increase. Drop any small clients that don't generate revenue. Set realistic expectations for new staff with regard to busy season. Don't beat around the bush and just tell staff the hours will be long, as this has been an ancient audit practice. I don't know if the firm needs to change of the industry. Probably both.

8. "Overall experience review"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good perks and some nice people

Cons

competitive, late hours, and no free parking

9. "Advisory Director - Below Market Pay"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good clients, some good co-workers

Cons

Uncompetitive pay, too many Partners that don’t pull their weight

Advice to Management

Two years in a row the company has failed to meet unrealistic growth eexpectations , which has led to significant under payment to staff and unrealistic billing expectations. Overall a poorly managed firm that forces good people out due to pay below market.

"Unpredictable hours may ruin your health"

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Deal Advisory in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Deal Advisory in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG full-time

Pros

I am writing the review because I sincerely want to warn people who want to join KPMG think twice. My review will not apply to every team in the Deal Advisory.

Most people I work with are smart, hardworking and friendly. Sometimes, managers get demanding. But I understand it is not personal, it is just because either the client is demanding or the upper management is.
    Decent amount of vacation days. (But I see people have to work while on vacation...)
    There are lots of opportunities of networking.
    Opportunities of learning many new things in a short of time even though it can get stressful.

Cons

The biggest challenge for me is work/life balance. Hours are unpredictable, meaning you start at 8:30 or 9 and you don't know when the end is...And prepare to work at weekends. If you are single and live close to the office, you probably would be more tolerable with the hours. But for people who have family and live in the suburbs, it gets really tough.

Working environment is not good: no private cube. People sit, work, eat and have calls in the same conference room. It is a mess...Not comfortable at all. I sometimes feel I am a slave in the room and have to tolerate with people's constant talks unrelated to work.

Overall salary is OK. But given the long hours, the hourly pay is really low...

Advice to Management

Working long hours may just be the the nature of Consulting and Big 4. But I hope management can realise the this nature is not humane.

Showing 908 of 11,419 reviews