KPMG Reviews | Glassdoor

Lynne Doughtie

4,043 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"KPMG - the best place to start the rest of your life!"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

1. KPMG offers not only a great salary, but offers some amazing benefits to everyone. I receive seventy-five cents for every dollar up to 5% of my salary that I put into my 401(k) plan, but not only do I get that for retirement, I also receive a pensions plan with a contribution of $5,000 at the start, and then yearly credits that increase with seniority and position.
    2. The people that I work with are from top tier universities here in Texas. They are all understanding and give you the tools needed to succeed in your job. They take the time to teach and ensure that you will succeed on the projects you work on.
    3. KPMG is very active in the community and is always trying ways to get everyone involved to making Houston a better city to live in.

Cons

Honestly, there are no downsides to working at KPMG. There are only downsides to working in the accounting industry as a whole. These may include long hours during certain times of the year - no 8 to 5 here. Don't get me wrong, there are days that we can leave on time, but as we are very project driven, it just depends on what you are working on.

One thing I can say about KPMG is that there is no overtime. Overtime is not given at any big four accounting firm, but some of the smaller firms still offer it at my level and I am sure it comes in real handy when trying to pay the bills.

Advice to Management

KPMG is a great place to work, and I hope you continue with all initiatives to make it an employer of choice.

"Why you should grow your self and your career with KPMG."

Former Employee - Audit in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Audit in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

KPMG provides a lot of benefits from employment not necessarily offered elsewhere. They have the basics - fair pay and benefits, but also a lot of paid time off even as a first year associate. They offer a lot of training, which is something very few other firms are doing, and actually help the employee make time to attend the training they offer. The corporate culture is oriented very strongly toward community service, offering firm-sponsored activities as well as the flexibility to volunteer for things the individual employee finds important. In fact, they have an entire committee ("Involve") dedicated to these types of initiatives. Professionally, they also provide a very developed growth strategy, including help goal setting and working toward those goals. At KPMG you can really develop your own path and grow both professionally and personally with a lot of support.

Cons

The biggest downside I see to working at KPMG is the sheer time committment. This is not different from other large firms, however. KPMG likes to advertise that they help you have a work-life balance, but I believe this is an inaccurate title. I remember one employees example of this balance, when he said he was able to leave work in the afternoon to attend his child's play, and return to work at nine o'clock that night. To me, that's not a balance, it's just flexibility. I do believe flexibility is important, but in the end it's not 'balance'. I believe a lot of newer employees in the next few years will be moving away from that model, and truly trying to have more of a balance, at least when it's not busy season.

Advice to Management

Again, I think the most important thing I could say to senior management would be about the absense of work-life balance. As I mentioned above, while the firm claims to provide this balance, I think what it is really providing is flexibility. This is important, but not the same thing as a balance. Furthermore, with increasing connectivity that comes with technology, more and more employees (even below the senior associate or manager level) are at the firm or client's beck and call at all hours, and I do not think this is appropriate. There is NO work-life balance if we can never turn work off.

"KPMG a great place to work."

Current Employee - Advisory Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Advisory Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

5 weeks of paid vacation. Very flexible schedule, can work from home when necessary. Managers are great help and are very cognizant of my needs. Lots of fun travel options that are generally short trips that make it so I do not have to be away from home too long. Very diverse work environment. Furthermore, the location downtown is ideal for me. Training opportunities are many. Compensation is very competitive.

Cons

Travel often and sometimes without much notice.
    Scheduling is a pain and is so closely watched and monitored that I have to worry about it more than my own tasks in my profession.

Advice to Management

Keep being generous and honest with your employees, they do all the grunt work to make you look good.

"looking forward to work is best feeling to have when you are going to spend most of your day there."

Current Employee - Advisory Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Advisory Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Respect among colleagues, job appreciation, Growth opportunities, worldwide cleint exposure, training to enhance your skills, team work.

Cons

In my 2 years of experience and constant encouragement for growth I have not yet seen the downside with any of KPMG's clients or KPMG colleagues.

Advice to Management

Being connected to your staff and knowing them personally allows them to have the stability and loyalty of employee's work.

5. "Glad and Proud of working for KPMG"

Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Advisory Senior Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

KPMG has International Rotation Programs people can join and have the opportunity to live and work abroad for a 6 months up to 3 years period.

Great people to work with.

Depending on in which department someone works, KPMG has a great international network with hundreds of professionals around the globe.

Good work-life balance: It is possible to work from home.

Opportunities to travel: Do you want to travel? Just say it!.

Cons

sometimes too many hours a week, however, they are reasonable and always due to project needs.

Advice to Management

Transparency

6. "KPMG is a great place to work and is highly dedicated to develop their employees!!"

Current Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tax Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

KPMG is a worldwide brand and offers opportunities to pursue many different career paths. The umbrella of services is categorized as follows: Audit/Advisory/Tax. Personally I am in International Tax. Specifically, KPMG offers many opportunities to grow by providing opportunities for international rotations, ease of lateral movements to the other service areas such as advisory and audit. KPMG leadership always keeps us abreast of industry news that affect our services, keeps an open line of communication to senior level executives and encourages us to think outside the box and provides many avenues and trainings for professional development.

Cons

Employees at KPMG are highly knowledgeable and very hard working. Job demands as it relates to tax are very high. The regular work hours are usually 8:30-6 or 7 PM even during off-peak seasons. Everyone works hard and has extremely high expectations but managers are fair and reasonable with work load. The point being if you are looking for an 8-5, this may not be the right place for you. However, if you are committed and dedicated to work as hard as required you can guarantee you will be rewarded fairly in regards to compensation and bonuses. During busy season Jan-April 15th, I have worked 830-12 AM for 4 weeks in a row. Saturdays are mandatory during busy season and usually require 6-8 hours of work.

Advice to Management

Be more aware that not every employee considers work as their top priority.

7. "One of the best places to work - KPMG!"

Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Advisory Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Diversity, emphasis on work/life balance, open and honest communication at all times and most importantly - THE AWESOME PEOPLE!
    There is also a great emphasis on work hard and play harder. There is an emphasis on the career development of women. The firm provides excellent training, inside and outside. Whatever you choose to do, it is a great place to start your career at and then maybe go into the industry, gains ome experience of a different sort and then come back here and keep rising upwards. They will take you back with open arms because they encourage diversity of thought and experience as well.

Cons

It is afterall an industry that requires long hours and sometimes during busy season you do put in 60 hour weeks regularly. However, this is not restricted to KPMG alone. It is something seen all Big 4 firms.
    In all Big 4 firms, such as this one, there are times of the year when companies are filing their financial statements and things tend to get really hectic and exhausting. However, a firm like KPMG also gives you 25 paid days off! They encourage you to take all your time off as and when needed. So while there is a downside, the salary, bonus, and other benefits compensate for it.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good job. I think you do a wonderful job of communicating the firms policies, plans, forecasts, etc with all employees and that really helps us. Keeping having more national town hall meetings like the one you had with Stephen Colbert, as that gives us a sense of family and being one firm. Do educate everyone more about other lines of businesses, why they are called certain names, what they do, what they sell, etc. That helps us from a business development perspective as well.

"If you want a career with tremendous growth potential, competitive salary, and work/life balance come to KPMG."

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Boston, MA

Pros

KPMG is an a nearly $20 billion dollar international firm and with that comes tremendous flexibility, opportunity, and excitement. The firm allows for great flexibility in terms of office location - as programs are in place to enable global mobility. The firm also encourages its top-performers and keeps them motivated with excellent compensation packages. In addition, the firm has made a committment to work-life balance by giving employees 5 weeks vacation and encouraging them to use the weeks in full each year. Finally, our training programs are rated amoung some of the best in world and are comprehensive and enjoyable.

Cons

The work at KPMG can be demanding and challenging. At times, the work environment can be stressful and extremely deadline focused. The key to being successful at the firm is proper planning and expectation forming. During January through March one should expect to work 60+ per week without the benefit of overtime compensation (although bonuses are paid to those with overtime worked); however, this busy time is offset by the summer months where there is flexibility to use the 5 weeks vacation the firm provides. Although KPMG does have an international infrastructure and the benefits that come with it, at times it can be difficult to carve one's own path and ensure one's personal and professional goals are being met.

Advice to Management

I would advise that management continue to be trained on the "employer of choice" initiative currently being undertaken by the firm. The firm has some incredible national programs; however, often on the individual engagements these programs are not recognized as much as they should be. For example, the firm has a "weekend jumpstart" program in which all employees are encouraged to leave early on Friday's, but this program only works if all engagement management subscribes to the program and makes a conscious effort to oblige. Continued training efforts in this area would make KPMG an even better place to work than it is already.

9. "How it is working for KPMG Denver..."

Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Denver, CO

Pros

- Build leadership skills through leading audit teams
    - Build knowledge in industries that i am interested in
    - Technical knowledge understanding and application ie. FASBs, EITFs, etc.
    - Resources available
    - Helpful and understanding people ie. human resources, administrative personnel and colleagues
    - CPA bonus ($3000) available for audit associates when they pass the CPA
    - Full reimbursement of CPA when staff pass
    - Becker course materials provided to staff
    - A lot of activities available
    - Suite tickets to games ie. NBA, NHL etc.
    - Team outings

Cons

- Long working hours during busy season (but the long hours are only for a 3-month period of time on normal occassions)

Advice to Management

None

10. "I love this place!"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Work-life balance, I have a life outside of work.

Cons

Busy Season, sometimes the hours are too long, but I have not felt as if it were too much, although I would prefer a 40 hour work week ever week of the year.

Advice to Management

Remember to recongize staff, they work hard and sometimes a simple thank you goes along way.

Showing 4,043 of 11,591 reviews