KPMG Reviews | Glassdoor

US - All Cities

1. "Bad experience"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in McLean, VA

I worked at KPMG (More than 5 years)

Pros

good place to start career
    good people
    work life balance
    ok pay
    flexible work environment

Cons

One manager can screw you over

Advice to Management

Don't let managers tell lies to ruin someone else's career. its not a good look for kpmg

2. "Great resume addition, if that's all you're after"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in Kansas City, MO

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great addition to your resume
    -Very straightforward promotion tracks
    -Jumpstart Friday's (off at 3 or earlier during the summer)

Cons

-No concept of work-life balance
    -Actual experience gained does not equate to the value people give it on a resume
    -Pay is better almost anywhere else
    -No real incentives toward high-performers. If you work much longer hours and are much more effective than other peers, you maybe earn $1-2K more over a year's time and will still be promoted similarly

Advice to Management

-Treat your employees with respect
    -Create true rewards for high incentives

3. "QA Lead"

Current Employee - QA Lead in New York, NY
    Current Employee - QA Lead in New York, NY

I have been working at KPMG (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Oppurtunities will be given

Cons

Contractors treated different than full timers

4. "Well-known global company, but stiff culture and skill mismatch"

Former Employee - Federal Health Advisory in Tysons Corner, VA
    Former Employee - Federal Health Advisory in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at KPMG (Less than a year)

Pros

- Large, well-known company and foot in the door with "The Big Four"
    - Exposure to consulting, business processes, government contracts
    - Solid compensation and benefits
    - Some very smart and hardworking employees, but also some who push all the work to less senior members and then take credit for it

Cons

- Very hierarchical and ideas/creativity from more junior team members were not welcomed
    - Work culture varies widely by team--Some managers recognize an employee may work many extra hours at nights and weekends and are more flexible in work schedule while some managers/teams expect early to the office and long hours EVERY day. Some managers allow some work remote or at sister offices closer to your home, however this team did not.
    - High burnout among employees at all levels and little employee recognition. This also led to high turnover on the team
    - Very little communication between projects/teams even in the same practice

Advice to Management

Truly understand the skill sets and strengths of your employees to create the best value for the employee and the company. Foster better (any) cross-team communication and not be so siloed/territorial.

5. "Manager, Advisory"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice people with diverse culture.

There are opportunities for advancement but you need to be willing to play the game.

Cons

KPMG is run by partners, each trying to build their own fiefdom which is much different from a corporate hierarchy. For the most part partners are decent people, however there will be situations where Partners or MD's will do anything to advance their own cause which makes for a lousy work environment.

They often promise training but don't live up to their own training commitments.

Advice to Management

Let's face it, you really don't "live by the charter" so just tear it up. Treat people with respect, empathy and compassion - that's all it takes!

6. "Senior Associate, Audit"

Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Audit Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at KPMG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of training

offsite training can be fun

good way to start a network of people you might rely on for the rest of your career

relatively set promotion schedule makes it easy to get promoted

Cons

too easy to get promoted (some of the managers should probably be held back)

How well you get along with your team will really dictate your experience. Unfortunately, there is a glut of poor senior associates, managers, and partners. Plenty of egomaniacs and lazy workers who might end up being your manager.

teams are often understaffed

no work life balance

your development and goals are secondary to the goals of your team and department. If your goal happens to align with the team's you'll be supported. If it's something that might help you professionally but take you away from your team (ie. a rotation in another department/engagement) you might get stonewalled

very political

performance reviews are very much rigged against you in your first/second year

Generally lags behind in salary relative to EY, PWC, and Deloitte

Advice to Management

1. Revamp the performance manager program so that they become an actual resource employees can use. Ensure all the PM's are equally strong at being PM's. My PM did nothing to help me accomplish my goal of participating in a rotation and his sole goal was to keep me in my current role. Meanwhile, my colleague's with more effective PM's were listened to and actually saw their PM's make moves to improve their development.

2. Increase transparency in the review process and adjust the review curve so that a different curve applies to each of the Staff positions. As a first year associate I had three clients with year-ends in September, December, and March. As we were understaffed I became the acting in-charge of two of those clients. I received 1's for two of the engagements and a 2 for the third. Of course my year-end review ended up being a 3 for the year. The feedback was "Do exactly what you did this year next year and you'll get bumped up to a 2. Thanks for reviewing me as average and then rewarding me by making me in-charge for those engagements again in year 2. Meanwhile, I had colleagues who barely understood how to conduct a walkthrough by themselves or how to develop their own test procedures without reading a prior year memo.

3. Don't stonewall your employees when they've achieve their goals. I spent years trying to get a rotation in advisory. My PM never helped and my poor first year review didn't help either. I made it extremely clear I wanted to rotate and eventually transfer into advisory. Was given absolutely no help. When I finally got accepted into the rotation I wasn't even notified. I had to follow up myself and eventually learned I had been accepted but was blocked by my engagement team. Apparently they were notified first and they rebuffed the idea of letting me participate in said rotation.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at KPMG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great exposure to various clients.

Cons

The group I worked in was not organized well. You were expected to have so many billable hours, but then you would be in trouble if you reported the actual hours you worked. There was NO work life balance. Even if you completed your work, you were expected to sit there until the wee hours of the morning (2am) after getting there at 8am. Then you were also expected to come in on both Saturdays and Sundays regardless of if your work was done or not. The managers had their favorites for staff, who they gave all the big clients to, and then left everyone to figure out how to get their billable hours. The attrition rate in my group was over 80% every busy season. HR knew that this group was an issue, but did nothing about it. Note that the group I reported to was different than others. I had friends in other departments that did not have the same experience.

Advice to Management

HR stop ignoring the issue and saying, "That's just how that group is." I would have loved to stay to get more exposure, but not under those conditions.

8. "Audit Associate"

Former Employee - Audit Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Audit Associate in New York, NY

I worked at KPMG (Less than a year)

Pros

Brand name, can progress to better jobs upon leaving

Cons

tedious work, low pay, due to tight timelines not enough time to really understand the company your auditing.

9. "Audit Associate Review"

Current Employee - Audit Associate in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Audit Associate in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

the pros of working here are 25 vacation days, young environment, very smart people, clearly set promotion path, many social events, grooms you to be a flexible employee, pays for CPA exam and study materials, many trainings

Cons

the cons of working here are long hours, unreasonable expectations at times, limited personal life, low pay, small bonuses, hard to separate work and personal life

10. "Office services"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at KPMG (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, great people, lots of ways to get involved with the community

Cons

No work life balance. High expectations with no or little reward

Showing 819 of 9,974 reviews