KPNX 12 News Reviews | Glassdoor

KPNX 12 News Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2018

Found 10 reviews

2.7
  1. "Intern at news station"

I worked at KPNX 12 News

Pros

It was a good working environment. There are lots of experienced people to help you learn.

Cons

At the time, the company was going through a lot of changes specifically in management. There were a lot of different expectations.

Advice to Management

Be straight forward about expectations. Especially with young workers. It will help them learn more.

KPNX 12 News2016-11-10
  2. "Lucky to have gotten out!"

I worked at KPNX 12 News full-time

Pros

The production crew and photographers were amazing!

Cons

Management! Managment will lie directly to your face. I would never recommend someone work at this station under the current management. Absolutely terrible. Nothing but fluff news that is often times not vetted correctly.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect, treat people like they want to work there and not like they HAVE to work there (in other words actually treat them like humans).

KPNX 12 News2018-06-19
  3. "Decent until it wasn’t"

I worked at KPNX 12 News full-time

Pros

Good colleagues, decent resources, nice newsroom

Cons

Poor management, not great pay

KPNX 12 News2018-03-23
  4. "Journalism is hard enough-don't make it harder by working at 12 News"

Former Employee - Talent

I worked at KPNX 12 News full-time

Pros

Hard working staff behind the scenes. Producers and technical staff are the only saving grace at the station-although people work on edge, not knowing who will be let go next.

Cons

Management is terrible. Very disorganized and cutting corners at every turn. It's all about the bottom line and it shows. Focus has shifted from real news to mainly fluff pieces to attract viewers. Getting rid of actual journalists for younger, less experienced on camera folks who 'look' good.

Advice to Management

12 News was a respected news organization at one point. It would have to take a TEGNA corporate overhaul in Denver to change its ways since they are the ones really making the decisions, not the local management.

KPNX 12 News2017-09-27

"Nice people, low morale"

I worked at KPNX 12 News

Pros

I appreciated the real-world experience. The staff was willing to take time to explain things to me.

Cons

There was a lot of change and uncertainty at the station. Morale was low among the full-time staff.

KPNX 12 News2016-07-12

"Finding their own way"

I have been working at KPNX 12 News

Pros

While all media is going through changes right now, 12 News seems to be working hard to manage to trends and the shift with the industry. Leadership is dedicated, works hard, and is primarily from within the station or parent company, TEGNA (previously Gannett). The newsroom is new and the station holds some of the best reporters and photographers the valley and industry have to offer. Management seems to want to do...

Cons

Previously we worked closely with newspaper, Arizona Republic. Separating from AZ Republic and Gannett in June 2015 was difficult and caused the culture and morale to deteriorate. Recently we seem to be finding our way again.

Advice to Management

Encourage innovation and recognize employees working hard to improve our station.

KPNX 12 News2016-07-06

"Producer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at KPNX 12 News full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If you take the initiative, Company offers leadership training and does promote from within. Ability to be a leader, it's encouraged and rewarded. Lots of talk of innovation and attempts to be progressive.

Cons

Budgets and revenue seem to be the driving force behind every decision. Replacing open positions takes too long and puts a strain on the existing staff. Workload is immense and unrealistic at times.

Advice to Management

Support the Staff with action, not just promises. Benefits are not great for such a large company.

KPNX 12 News2016-06-13

"12 News, Marketing & Production"

I worked at KPNX 12 News

Pros

Zero Leadership, which means they'll have no clue what you're up to or that you slipped out to watch a movie in the afternoon or took a nap in the studio behind the set.

Cons

Zero Leadership. You will be frustrated beyond belief. People and product at 12 News and TEGNA do not matter. It's all about the bottom line. People with knowledge, skill and experience are being shown the door and replaced by an empty chair or green college grads. Which is a bad combination when journalism, TV production, social media, facts, rules, laws are involved. The decision making process will baffle you....

Advice to Management

Raise the bar. Clean from the top to the bottom. Hire people with good track records and knowledge of what it takes to put a quality product on the air or online. Stock price is not the only thing that matters. Can't wait to see how they revamp the news next in a desperate grab to boost ratings.

KPNX 12 News2015-10-21

"Producer"

I worked at KPNX 12 News

Pros

It was a great place to learn.

Cons

They do not pay to keep their employees.

Advice to Management

Value the talent you have and pay to keep them.

KPNX 12 News2015-05-12
  10. "Good work"

Former Employee - helpdeskmedewerker in Dayr Ams

I worked at KPNX 12 News part-time for less than a year

Pros

Very clear structure in company

Cons

No guidance from higher up

KPNX 12 News2018-08-20