KUBRA Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 31, 2019

2.9
Rick Watkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Culture driven, social events, and company expansion" (in 8 reviews)

• "Friendly people, minimal politics" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "lacks growth opportunities, uses old technology" (in 7 reviews)

• "Under industry average pay, don't do much of programming" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Software engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at KUBRA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

culture is open, fun, creative, engaged, accountable and the CEO is very approachable!

Cons

sometimes there is too much process and as an engineer I am not a fan of too much rigour where it is not required.

Advice to Management

continue with all the social events, lunch and learns and encourage people to think outside of their comfort zones

May 9, 2018 – KUBRA

Thanks for your feedback! Happy to hear you're enjoying our culture and leadership. We're always looking for ways to continue to improve the way we work, so we'd love to hear any suggestions you... More

"Great Software, Great People"

Current Employee - Senior Java Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Java Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at KUBRA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and bonuses
    Very intelligent talent at this company
    Recognized for your hard work and commitment to the company
    Constantly engaged in interesting and technically challenging work
    Upper management is approachable and active in solving any issue

Cons

There is hardly anytime to slow down and go back to properly document or settle outstanding technical debt

Advice to Management

The business model used when the company was younger and client base was smaller won't scale by throwing more software engineers at it. There needs to be more of a fundamental focus on providing a fully featured products vs fully customizable products.

Dec 12, 2017 – HR Manager, Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thanks for the feedback! We definitely agree - we love the people within our organization; their insights, passion and intelligence are second to none and we try to create programs and initiatives... More

3. "40 hours guarantee good place to work"

Former Employee - APS Operator in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - APS Operator in Coppell, TX

I worked at KUBRA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Feel like a second home have a good worker

Cons

Need to slow down and so mistake don't happen

Advice to Management

In terminating and better communication with employee talk with better Mana and respect

"Great people, sub-par compensation"

I have been working at KUBRA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people I work with. KUBRA has a great culture and I look forward to coming into the office every day. If you show promise they will not hesitate to give you greater responsibilities, which is nice.

Cons

The compensation is simply not competitive, at least in engineering. Promotions and more responsibility does not necessarily come with higher wages. The annual bonuses are easily torpedoed by the company not quite hitting its goals, which it never does. Despite the great culture, there are positions at other companies which pay significantly more that are tempting people away. I've heard this from several people I work with and I feel similarly. It's unfortunate because it's a great company to work for, but ultimately you have to make decisions with your future and your family's future in mind.

Advice to Management

In this job market it's unsustainable to continue to offer below-market wages. We will continue to lose people if we don't offer good raises to the top performers and we won't be able to move forward at the desired pace if we lose more people.

In addition, we have many open engineering positions and we will continue to have difficulty finding candidates if we can't offer competitive wages. No one is applying because other employers are recognizing that wages have to increase in order to compensate for the lack of available talent. It seems as if KUBRA has been slow to realize this, and it's weakened the company as a result. Upper management would do well to acknowledge that the current market has given the employees significant leverage. If the general feeling is that the company is being stingy by attempting to hire new people without simultaneously budgeting for raises, they risk being outcompeted by companies that are able/willing to pay for talent.

"Software developer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at KUBRA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A really good team of people

Cons

Very over engineered product with near zero documentation. Tedious error prone processes. Zero standards. Weird, arbitrary , workplace rules

"Developer"

I worked at KUBRA full-time

Pros

seeming never fire people
    fitting those who just wanna make up the numbers

Cons

1. no training at all
    2. not reliable product(failing for no reason and no explanation) and outdated technology
    3. not responsible people around you(This is most horrible part of this company: if somebody make a mistake, he is seldom blamed(not always case but many times) Here developers have no shame of coding bugs, they take it for granted and rely on others to solve.
    4. Lower salary and little pay raise

Advice to Management

If you can really look at my suggestions(I doubt it) and solve the above 4 issues, fire those not-responsible guys, you need only half of developers and programmers and increase salary to make guys who stay happy

7. "Company"

Pros

There are many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Sometime the workload can be crazy.

Sep 4, 2018 – KUBRA

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! We pride ourselves on offering opportunities for our people to grow their careers with us, as we continue to grow as a company. We're always looking... More

"Great People, Great Environment"

I have been working at KUBRA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office space in Tempe with excellent perks like lunch room with drinks, food trucks once a week. Even after Canadian buyout, the company still provides a baseline health care plan at no cost, which is awesome. Good support for continuing education and learning at conferences and workshops to make the team better. Engineering-driven atmosphere is not afraid of adopting new technologies and techniques, which is important for a software business.

Cons

Besides customers, the two software offices (Tempe & Mississauga) don't have a ton in common. The Canadian office is all Microsoft software development, very old-school server hosting practices and they do payment processing (must deal with PCI auditing). On the other hand it seems like Tempe seeks to be on the cutting edge, so they have been on AWS for years, with all development systems cloud-based and makes efforts to hunt down the most cost-effective solutions at all costs. It seems a bit like occasionally the Canadian office thinks about ways to kill the Tempe culture, which would be unfortunate, because jobs aren't hard to come by in Phoenix and in a software business - the people are the business.

Advice to Management

Provide more feedback about how the business is performing, which projects are high-priority, and how individuals can help make the product more lucrative for the sales team to do their job. There is definitely a lack of measurement and goal-based project management. Tools like Jira are great IF you use them properly. You can't get historical data about the validity of task estimates if time is not generally being tracked directly to Jira tasks.

Dec 12, 2017 – KUBRA

Thank you for your feedback! We’re happy to hear you’re enjoying all of the perks and our office culture and will continue to work hard to ensure we’re providing competitive rewards that our people... More

"Mediocre, not terrible"

I have been working at KUBRA full-time

Pros

Vacation and personal time off is generous compared to most. You'll find some talented and hardworking people here.

Cons

Not convinced these guys know how to run a software company or that they understand software developers. Has the feel of a much larger dysfunctional and bland organization. Hard to see much of a future here.

Dec 12, 2017 – HR Manager, Talent Acquisition & Engagement

Thanks for the feedback! We agree that we have a fantastic team of passionate, hardworking and talented people, and we offer plenty of personal paid time off to support a healthy work/life balance... More

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at KUBRA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I thought for 10 minutes to find a pro. There are no pros really.

Cons

This is the worst place I ever worked. No process, No competitive pay, Not very qualified people around you,Legacy technologies, Random sales persons give random promises to clients, Senior management do not have balls to push back on the unreasonable commitments, constant attrition of good people. Overall a terrible place to work for at least a week.

Advice to Management

Treat employees well. You can not run a software company like a factory.

Dec 12, 2017 – KUBRA

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We’d love learn more about your experience and how you think we can improve. Please email us at feedback@kubra.com. - Megan, HR Manager