KaBOOM! Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
James Siegal

Pros
  • High expectations lead to hard working, dedicated, passionate and committed employees (in 6 reviews)

• The work/life balance is excellent (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Seasonality impacts work life balance (in 6 reviews)

• It's a non-profit, salaries could always be better but it's kind of the nature of the game (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Mission, Great Environment"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, culture encourages a healthy work life balance, co-workers are amazing.

Cons

It's a non-profit, salaries could always be better but it's kind of the nature of the game.

Advice to Management

Continue to look to nurture your in-house talent.

2. "Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Impact Innovation Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Impact Innovation Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at KaBOOM! (Less than a year)

Pros

You are working for a greater cause to help low-income children have an opportunity to play/exercise. The work/life balance is excellent.

Cons

The senior management is not strong. In addition, employees are constantly leaving so it creates chaos and confusion.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager, Grassroots Giving in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager, Grassroots Giving in Washington, DC

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time (More than a year)

Pros

KaBOOM! has an incredible culture that helps staff members to feel part-of, and also assists in creating a great community.

There have been bumps, but the leadership openly and honestly addresses them and works at finding solutions. There is a level of transparency in dealing with challenges that lets me know it is important to the leadership to find solutions.

The overall benefits package is fantastic, and continues to improve. In the year I've been here they have added parental leave, which I think is incredible. The medical plans are great, and fair or better than most non-profits. I also personally benefit from the pet insurance, which is pulled directly from my paycheck -- which makes things easier.

We're helping kids! We don't only say it, but we do it. 87 cents of every dollar donated goes towards programming, and that is a big deal compared to many non-profits. It is important to me to work for an organization with integrity, and I have faith in my organization's integrity.

I'm rarely the smartest person in the room. This hasn't been the case in a lot of jobs. This is important to me, because I want to constantly learn and grow. I work with some of the brightest and most passionate people I've ever met. While sometimes it can take a while to get to a resolution, usually it's not because folks don't want to do the work, it's because they want to find the best way to do it that is going to make the biggest difference moving forward. Whether it is someone who has been here 15 years, or someone who started in the year since I joined the team, I am constantly growing when I stay open-minded to the people around me.

SNACKS! Who doesn't love snacks? There is free cereal, milk, candy, granola bars, peanut butter and jelly, bread, etc. You don't have to go hungry if you forgot your own snacks or if you forgot your wallet.

Culture Events -- we work really hard, but we also play often. Having time to play with coworkers makes the relationships stronger, and I am happy this is something KaBOOM! encourages and supports. There are monthly events as part of an ongoing program for the organization, but many staff members put together additional events as well. Not only is there approval for this, but senior staff such as the CEO and CFO will show up to these events. When was the last time your CFO showed up to your desk dressed as Captain America? I can say a few months ago, personally.

Our senior team is approachable. This doesn't mean they will always agree, or that things will always go in the direction you think they should... but it does mean they will listen to you, and they will respond. There have been several changes as a result of this in the year I've been here.

Momentum -- the momentum is building in the right direction. With the mission growing to do more than we've done in the past, there was a period where a lot of challenges came along. We now seem to be moving steadily towards accomplishing the work we've always done (world class playgrounds), and simultaneously accomplishing the new work we're also focusing on (playability and play everywhere).

Cons

No dedicated sick leave. There is PTO, but people come in sick so they don't use their vacation time. Part of this could be because a lot of new staff members do not have much PTO accrual.

Not a terrible con, but I think the time-off package could be a little better for 1st year. Other non-profits I've worked for and interviewed for have had stronger time off packages.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent -- it makes a huge difference in trust level for employees.

It would be helpful to have dedicated sick leave, and to consider adding that in addition to current PTO accrual levels.

"Beware fake reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are pros, as others have mentioned.

Cons

Cons have also been mentioned by others, but some recent reviews are clearly fake reviews put up by management. You may notice similar word choice. The sudden uptick in positive reviews is due to funding partners expressing concern about negative reviews. Instead of actually addressing employee concerns, management is focused on protecting the purple tee image. There are hopefully some positive changes coming though.

"Love my job, love KaBOOM!"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We just finished a day of service to celebrate the holidays. All KaBOOM team members went to DC Foodbank and served others. We already serve others every day, we are a non profit! I love that I work somewhere that puts others first and is also puts its employees first.

Cons

Some changes happening so feeling a little anxious. But a good team.

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing.

"A Long Walk Spoiled"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at KaBOOM! full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard-working, dedicated employees who really want to make a difference in the lives of children and communities. Fortunately, it was announced that the Founder/CEO will be leaving in a few months. When this happens, KaBOOM will have solved one of its biggest problems. What began as an inspiring story 19 years ago with the founding of this organization ends sadly because the Founder/CEO was never willing to improve himself and change with the organization. He has been unwilling to acknowledge feedback, stopped caring about employees, and forgot how to lead. Unfortunately after what should have been many good years, his legacy is a long walk spoiled.

Cons

Ineffective management; too many changes in strategy; no upward career opportunities; no training; insufficient staffing; high turnover (40% in 2015); low pay; long hours.

Advice to Management

There's a reason the CEO rating for KaBOOM is the lowest in the Glass Door data base. He is rude, overbearing and has never held himself to the same standards he expects from everyone else in the organization. in 2016, you will have the opportunity for a new start. Re-build the culture and hold EVERYONE accountable to organizational standards. Everyone including the new CEO. The poor employee morale and high turnover rate should improve.

"KaBOOM! DC's Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

KaBOOM! is a wonderful non-profit organization with a noble mission. The employees are highly educated, capable and enthusiastic about what they do. Wonderful bunch of people and passionate leadership.

Cons

The only significant issue at KaBOOM! is that the direction of the organization seems to shift often leaving those having to carry out the objectives a little lost. That may attribute to the high turnover rate. Not very much room for advancement, but a great place to learn.

8. "Great Summer Internship Experience!"

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at KaBOOM! (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work environment, intelligent and upbeat employees, creativity encouraged, well-designed intern program.

Cons

Work can sometimes be slow for interns.

"Missing the Mark"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at KaBOOM! full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Energetic work environment with a playful twist
    Intelligent workforce
    Nice benefits (but low pay)

Cons

Lack of interdepartmental synergy in staff
    Weak management
    CEO
    Employees are constantly convinced that they have it good, if not better, than everyone else out there (which is false)

Advice to Management

I'll keep it short and sweet for anyone who might be interested in applying to KaBOOM!. The mission of KaBOOM! has changed in the last few years and the organization demands excellence without resources to achieve the mission. This is partially because they do not hire the correct people to 'ride the bus'. towards playability.

Management has got to get their act together to save this slowly sinking ship. Revenue has decreased and arms are starting to flail. Client relationship management is rocky due to this mission shift.

"Great concept and mission, but upper management is out of touch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at KaBOOM! full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Satisfaction of helping people
    Some great people working hard for something they believe in

Cons

Compensation is poor, managers have no idea how to manage