KaBOOM! "hard working" Reviews | Glassdoor

KaBOOM! Employee Reviews about "hard working"

Updated Sep 4, 2018

3.4
KaBOOM! Chief Executive Officer James Siegal  (no image)
James Siegal
Pros
  • "Fellow employees are generally competent and hard-working(in 8 reviews)

• "Great mission and community build-model(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The 990, which is publicly available on the website as required for a non-profit, must list all employees making more than 100,000(in 9 reviews)

• "work/life balance varies widely based on manager/team(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "hard working"

Return to all Reviews

"Inspirational Workplace"

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time for less than a year

Pros

High expectations lead to hard working, dedicated, passionate and committed employees. The passion of senior staff, including our current CEO, is a key driver that inspires me to do my best in the work that I do. The meaningful nature of our work is incredibly rewarding and continues to drive me. The organization is based on fundamental principals that drive our culture and work ethic. The outcome is a solid... delivery. The organization is very transparent and communicative. Our Boomer community is the best and is the glue that keeps us moving forward.

Cons

Seasonality impacts work life balance. Upcoming changes are a little unsettling.

Advice to Management

As we transition with senior staff movement, please continue to focus on the fundamentals that define our org. Preserving our culture is key and focusing on advancement and retention of Boomers is critical to our success.

KaBOOM!2015-12-29

"Few opportunities for development"

I worked at KaBOOM! full-time

Pros

-Fellow employees are generally competent and hard-working -Working for a "good cause" -Flexible work arrangements are possible (depending on your supervisor)

Cons

-Salaries are pretty low, and not doled out equitably. After working there for multiple years, my salary was lower than the new hires. This is in part because all of this info is secret, part because annual "salary adjustments" are insubstantial, and in part because the management is selective about who they comb for upward growth. -The leader of my team provided few opportunities for professional development (e....g. 'stretch' tasks, collaboration, formal and informal training). I took it upon myself to seek out these opportunities, but given the culture and management style of the organization, it proved difficult. I think the leader of my team would prefer not to rock the boat, even if it means atrophying her team. -Funding partners have significant influence over the work we do. This is probably true for most non-profits, but especially at KaBOOM!. Most of our money comes from these partners (e.g. Target, CarMax, Keurig Dr Pepper) so you can be sure our talking points will match theirs, and our initiatives will fit in line with their profit-maximizing interests.

Advice to Management

What would KaBOOM! look like if every employee was empowered to realize their full potential?

KaBOOM!2018-09-04

"Major improvements since leadership change"

I worked at KaBOOM! full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great mission and community build-model. Unique in services provided. Passionate, intelligent, and hard-working staff. There was a major lack of transparency in the past, but I believe this has improved a great deal since the change in leadership about a year ago. Great bonus program.

Cons

As mentioned above, prior to the change in CEO/leadership, there was a lack of transparency and innovation; I believe this has changed for the better over the last year. Salaries are not competitive. Mission shifted from a focus on community building to a focus on play everywhere. While I support both, the shift in mission/vision was not executed well.

Advice to Management

Need to innovate on the traditional model.

KaBOOM!2017-09-14

"A Long Walk Spoiled"

Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at KaBOOM! full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hard-working, dedicated employees who really want to make a difference in the lives of children and communities. Fortunately, it was announced that the Founder/CEO will be leaving in a few months. When this happens, KaBOOM will have solved one of its biggest problems. What began as an inspiring story 19 years ago with the founding of this organization ends sadly because the Founder/CEO was never willing to improve... himself and change with the organization. He has been unwilling to acknowledge feedback, stopped caring about employees, and forgot how to lead. Unfortunately after what should have been many good years, his legacy is a long walk spoiled.

Cons

Ineffective management; too many changes in strategy; no upward career opportunities; no training; insufficient staffing; high turnover (40% in 2015); low pay; long hours.

Advice to Management

There's a reason the CEO rating for KaBOOM is the lowest in the Glass Door data base. He is rude, overbearing and has never held himself to the same standards he expects from everyone else in the organization. in 2016, you will have the opportunity for a new start. Re-build the culture and hold EVERYONE accountable to organizational standards. Everyone including the new CEO. The poor employee morale and high... turnover rate should improve.

KaBOOM!2015-12-18

"Need to Boost Morale among Current Employees"

I have been working at KaBOOM!

Pros

Hard-working, amazing intelligent, and smart colleagues Fun atmosphere

Cons

With the new strategy and focus on playability, many employees feel misguided. Everyone is working hard, but some are feeling as though the work they are doing is not being recognized, which is only going to cause them to leave the organization like so many already have.

Advice to Management

Take the time to recognize the great work people are doing. If you don't stop to notice those who are giving so much to hold the organization together in this transition period, then you will lost them too and have to start from scratch with new employees.

KaBOOM!2015-06-07

"mid-level employee, direct service"

I have been working at KaBOOM!

Pros

Great reputation; deliver a quality product; passionate and hard working staff.

Cons

Bad management. Disconnect between leadership and staff. Half-baked initiatives.

Advice to Management

Value employees more.

KaBOOM!2015-04-23

"Micromanagement has gotten worse in the face of increasing challenges"

I have been working at KaBOOM!

Pros

My colleagues are awesome- smart, hard working and committed to our mission. But an alarming number of them are trying to get out or have already left.

Cons

KaBOOM! is having trouble funding their new advocacy/social norm change strategy. This is creating anxiety and pressure throughout the organization. COO has resorted to micromanaging across the board, making staff even more unhappy and slowing progress.

Advice to Management

stop setting unreachable/unrealistic goals for your under resourced and shrinking staff - it's demoralizing.

KaBOOM!2015-05-02

"Ineffective Senior Leadership"

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time

Pros

Solid benefits. Smart, hard-working staff.

Cons

At first glance, working at this nonprofit seems appealing. Don’t be fooled. The staff morale is extremely low for the reasons mentioned in other reviews: the intense focus on flexible revenue vs. mission; no real strategy for how the revenue will further the mission; CEO is a bully; senior leadership is ineffective and uninspiring; poor work-life balance; feedback and ideas are ignored; and staff is not empowered.... Unfortunately, this is unlikely to improve since it’s those at the top who are responsible for this unhealthy environment.

KaBOOM!2015-02-20