KaBOOM! "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

KaBOOM! Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Apr 16, 2019

3.4
KaBOOM! Chief Executive Officer James Siegal  (no image)
James Siegal
Pros
  • "Fellow employees are generally competent and hard-working(in 8 reviews)

• "Great mission and community build-model(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "The 990, which is publicly available on the website as required for a non-profit, must list all employees making more than 100,000(in 9 reviews)

• "work/life balance varies widely based on manager/team(in 8 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Great nonprofit to work for"

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Management makes an effort to ensure you have good work/life balance - Fun, playful company culture - Surround yourself with passionate, hardworking people who like coming to work - Respect for diversity, equity and inclusion

Cons

- Pay isn't super high, but benefits are good

KaBOOM!2019-02-27

"Inequity Abounds and the Mission is Faltered"

I worked at KaBOOM! full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart, mostly well-meaning, and interesting colleagues. Good benefits for a non-profit. Strong identity. Fun workplace. Good work-life balance, though very dependent on the manager and team.

Cons

Salary inequality is a big issue at KaBOOM!, particularly being that the organization is trying to rebrand itself as one that works for and cares about racial equity. The 990, which is publicly available on the website as required for a non-profit, must list all employees making more than 100,000. All members of the senior team make well above $100,000, the majority making over $200,000, and 3 white men making over... $300,000. Meanwhile, project managers and outreach staff are facing evictions and eating meals solely consisted of the peanut butter and jelly and cereal the organization provides because they can’t afford anything else. Staff has long been calling for a more equitable pay model and those calls are met with superficial solutions to pacify. One senior team member made $244,000, while no one on her team, even those more senior were making anything even close to being proximate. This same person wrecked havoc on the organization, causing complete turnover of her team and in others across the organization, including some of the best and brightest; and was rightly accused of racial prejudice and bias. The senior team was well aware of the issues, as well as experiencing them theirselves and failed to take action for several months, allowing her destructive behavior to continue for a year before she was let go. Additionally, the organization seems to care more about profit margins than their mission, but only those most senior see the benefits of that margin. They have a tendency to burn people out, some teams working 60-80 hours weekly. KaBOOM! and it’s mission have so much potential, but can’t seem to stop getting in their own way. If you’re looking to make a real impact in marginalized communities, KaBOOM! likely isn’t a good place for you. If you’re looking for managers who are passionate about the mission, can build a compelling, achievable strategy, while supporting your professional growth and development, with the exception of a few, KaBOOM! may not be the place for you. The organization has its charms, but they do little to surmount the entrenched issues.

Advice to Management

Treat people better. Focus on how to best achieve the mission and stand by that. Focus on deep as opposed to superficial community building. Focus on building a value based culture.

KaBOOM!2019-04-16

"Great place to start your career"

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-insanely generous PTO + competitive (and inexpensive) benefits package -great mission and outlook -fun, friendly and hardworking coworkers

Cons

-few clear paths for advancement -work/life balance varies widely based on manager/team -senior team can be a bit out of touch with junior staff

KaBOOM!2019-02-21

"PM"

I worked at KaBOOM!

Pros

the culture there is amazing!!

Cons

Work-life balance is an issue in busy season's

KaBOOM!2018-12-03

"Poor internal operations"

I worked at KaBOOM!

Pros

Things I’ve learned while working at KaBOOM!: -How to locate the nearest private room to cry, job search, and/or decompress after 90% of interactions with my manager, especially the ones with implied threats -How to live on the cheap in one of the most expensive cities in the US, because my paycheck won’t even cover living expenses -Purple and orange don’t go together -That “can do will do” is just an excuse to... push people to their limits with unrealistic expectations and little guidance -There is such a thing as too much cereal - see #2 Sure, KaBOOM! Seems like a fun place to work. From the outside, I really thought it would be great, too. Between the monthly catered lunches and events, cereal bar, travel, fun activities, and a colorful office, it looks like a place you want to be. The culture is really unique, and everyone works hard. A lot of Boomers really want to make a difference in childrens' lives. But all the free food in the world can’t cover up bad internal operations.

Cons

Between the huge disconnect between senior staff and everyone else, the constant turnover (while I was there, an average of 2 people per month left!), the low pay, poor work/life balance, and being treated poorly all around, I was worn down before I felt confident in my abilities and job. Moreover, I didn’t receive the training I needed to do my job, yet every little mistake and error was my fault. There is zero... ownership of mistakes on a manager’s part; you’re expected to be an expert from day one, no matter how much they say the opposite. No wonder people are leaving even without a job lined up. It seems the cycle is the same: long hours, long days, little training, poor compensation, and no recognition for a job well done. But don’t worry, they’ll let you know when you make even the tiniest of mistakes. Every time. I’ve learned a lot while working at KaBOOM!. I’ve gained a set of skills I didn’t know I had and built upon existing skills. But I didn’t get to use any of my past experiences, and I didn’t get the opportunity to work on different projects because my manager didn’t trust me enough to do so. I’d say the most important thing I’ve learned is what I’m not willing to put up with when it comes to coworkers and supervisors. Bullying, demotivation, and insults are never okay and I’m glad I got out before I was fired under the guise of being incompetent.

Advice to Management

Why do you think people are leaving left and right? Pay people a living wage, listen to their complaints and suggestions, stop belittling and bullying your staff, and start to care about the individual, not just instant results.

KaBOOM!2017-02-08
  6. "Data Analyst"

Impact Innovation Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at KaBOOM! for less than a year

Pros

You are working for a greater cause to help low-income children have an opportunity to play/exercise. The work/life balance is excellent.

Cons

The senior management is not strong. In addition, employees are constantly leaving so it creates chaos and confusion.

KaBOOM!2016-07-25
  7. "OK Organization"

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time

Pros

Good benefits (health care, paid time off, monthly lunches, etc.) cool people (great people and really caring individuals) Nice office environment (colorful and welcoming)

Cons

poor work/life balance (employees are expected to work long hours - 60+/week) poor compensation (not enough financial compensation provided) transitioning mission (the organizational mission has shifted back and forth over the past few years - very confusing for employees)

Advice to Management

There isn't a lot to say regarding management because there has been such significant turnover in the past few years, basically everyone is brand new - the organization will have to wait to see what happens in the coming months.

KaBOOM!2016-06-10

"Inspirational Workplace"

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time for less than a year

Pros

High expectations lead to hard working, dedicated, passionate and committed employees. The passion of senior staff, including our current CEO, is a key driver that inspires me to do my best in the work that I do. The meaningful nature of our work is incredibly rewarding and continues to drive me. The organization is based on fundamental principals that drive our culture and work ethic. The outcome is a solid... delivery. The organization is very transparent and communicative. Our Boomer community is the best and is the glue that keeps us moving forward.

Cons

Seasonality impacts work life balance. Upcoming changes are a little unsettling.

Advice to Management

As we transition with senior staff movement, please continue to focus on the fundamentals that define our org. Preserving our culture is key and focusing on advancement and retention of Boomers is critical to our success.

KaBOOM!2015-12-29

"Ineffective Senior Leadership"

I have been working at KaBOOM! full-time

Pros

Solid benefits. Smart, hard-working staff.

Cons

At first glance, working at this nonprofit seems appealing. Don’t be fooled. The staff morale is extremely low for the reasons mentioned in other reviews: the intense focus on flexible revenue vs. mission; no real strategy for how the revenue will further the mission; CEO is a bully; senior leadership is ineffective and uninspiring; poor work-life balance; feedback and ideas are ignored; and staff is not empowered.... Unfortunately, this is unlikely to improve since it’s those at the top who are responsible for this unhealthy environment.

KaBOOM!2015-02-20

"A wonderful mission gone sadly awry thanks to bad leadership"

I worked at KaBOOM! full-time for more than a year

Pros

The mission is wonderful and an easy sell. Some managers are incredibly respectful of work-life balance and very flexible with good workers. Unfortunately, that's on an individual basis and not supported by the company overall.

Cons

A serious case of Founder's Syndrome is going on, with lots of mission drift and continuous change of plans without the preparatory work required to support the shifts. No top-down transparency, a lot of lip service with not much follow through, and frequent self-contradicting by upper management. Incredibly talented staff often assigned to boring, low level positions that don't make use of their incredible... skillsets. No drive by most managers to help employees grow and improve. Super unfortunate, since management could have serious successes if they only put to use the uber-talented workforce they pride themselves on hiring.

Advice to Management

Use the skills you have in house. Be honest and direct. BE transparent instead of just saying so, or at least be honest about having no intention to share down information.

KaBOOM!2014-05-28