Kabam Reviews | Glassdoor

Kabam Reviews

Updated June 15, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Our work-life balance is incredible and coworkers are all unique and talented individuals (in 15 reviews)

• Free lunch, that is usually very delicious (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance has become increasingly terrible, as all the great managers are pretty much gone (in 8 reviews)

• Disconnect between teams and upper management (in 6 reviews)

"Good company hampered by weak direction"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good salary, perks (fitness stipend, free lunches, unlimited PTO)

Cons

Poor strategic planning and aversion to taking risks. Disconnect between revenue expectations between senior management and teams

"Community Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Community Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kabam (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company Perks - Trips, snacks, movie outings, etc. Co-workers were nice and friendly. Creative environment -- as long as that creativity resulted in actionable items that would monetize.

Cons

Pivoted every 3-6 months (constant change). I had 4 different managers in less than a 2 year time period because the company's focus kept changing. They are not interested in making any changes in the game to benefit their customers unless it can be proven that the change will bring in money. Finally, they made a serious mistake by ELIMINATING my department altogether across the organization. Then, a couple years later after many communication/PR mishaps, realized that they needed us after all and decided to put a Community Department back in place. Too little, too late, I'm afraid. The only news coming out of these guys lately are the rounds of layoffs they keep having.

Advice to Management

Pick a direction and stick with it! Realize that you will keep your players and profit off of them if you throw them a bone once in a while and fix a bug in the game that is causing them grief.

"Once Prosperous"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Free lunch, that is usually very delicious. Lots of options.
    Benefits are great.
    IT is great, HR and benefits is pretty good too (besides compensation, not sure if this really is their fault).
    Can be good to come in. Be warned that the work/life can be terrible, read below.
    There are a lot of options to come into the company, they are situated in many places. I would steer clear of HQ (SF) as it is very obvious the fate of those studios.

Cons

Constant change, always "restructuring" every 6 months, and if lucky a year. These always include lay-offs.
    Culture can be quite bad, they act like they are a game development company. Emphasis on act, no upper management is really that into games.
    Work/life balance has become increasingly terrible, as all the great managers are pretty much gone. There are still a few gems left.
    Upper management never interacts with below unless required. People are treated like resources.
    Upper management has a habit of not getting rid of the bad management. Often they are politically savvy, these are the people who are ruining the company.
    Can be very cliquey, make sure you really match well with who you are.
    Extremely difficult to get raises, promotions. Even if you are told you are getting one, it can take months even years to "process". Multiple people I know left waiting 1+ year for "processing".

Advice to Management

When I first started the company was bustling with talent, games were built that maintained the company for years. Over time, it seemed that politics had played its part and all those who once were great were either laid off or quit.

The talent that got you where the company is was treated like resources to be moved around, and then ignored when warning of the many directions the company went in. In addition, I know of many that left the company completely burnt out and warning those to stay clear. Even when I was interviewing candidates at the end people began to know the company for the negative, not the positive.

Learn from those past mistakes, but focus on moving forward for many of us are still rooting for you. Be very wary of people who come in who say they know best, trust those who have truly been there for the company. Don't buy into every hype and look forward with insight and innovation, before the few games that support the entire company burn out.

4. "It was good at times"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Kabam (More than a year)

Pros

_Free lunches, snacks everywhere, good people.

Worked in the art department and the majority of people there are very knowledgeable about their work. Most of those people are no longer there though since there was a large layoff recently. Great opportunity to work independently without any type of micro management. Great work/life balance ; only worked overtime a handful of times.

Cons

Felt a bit disorganized at times; sometimes tasks came from out of nowhere and had to push back on things because of this. At times there were a few communication issues which only helped push back deadlines. Layoffs every quarter it seems.

5. "Great perks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livermore, CA

I worked at Kabam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free meals every day. Good people and friendly environment.

Cons

Open floor plan with little personal space. Disconnect between teams and upper management.

Advice to Management

Clarify expectations of game performance at early stages with the executive team and avoid surprise layoffs.

"Kabam is the Facebook/Google in gaming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great leaders
    Good compensation
    Great perks
    Lots of learning opportunities and career advancements
    Team building activities and fun events
    Flexible work hours

Seriously, if you have complaints working at Kabam, you should think about starting your own business because you will never be satisfied no matter where you work at.

Cons

Need more wine selection
    Almonds are bit too dry
    Also need Sake

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Great experience, poor uppermanagement"

Former Employee - Live Ops Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Live Ops Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great benefits and a good salary. Working there spoiled my expectations for benefits/food/perks. From QA to the Art teams, each individual I worked with is incredibly talented and really tries to commit to the tasks at hand.

Cons

Poor upper management, slow to back-fill positions. Communication was lackluster, with no clear targets or objectives to guide the team. Depending on the title, certain career paths are unclear with no room to develop.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate. The company and its titles has great potential but will only be as good as those guiding the teams.

8. "Senior Director, Product"

Current Employee - Senior Director in San Rafael, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well, it about games. Data driven.

Cons

Not much passion about games.

"Manager, Benefits"

Current Employee - Benefits Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Benefits Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, perks, Flexibility and family orientated! Kabbamers are super nice and fun to work with.

Cons

No Cons really to speak off, the open space environment can be hard to have private conversations or phone conversations. Can usually find a confernce room.

"Intern to Full-timer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Kabam full-time

Pros

I started as an intern here and was converted to full-time after graduation. The intern program was a well structured and amazing learning experience, with professional development talks, a fireside chat with the C-team, and an assortment of social events. Even if I wasn't converted to full-time, I still would have walked away with a wealth of knowledge and many more professional connections.

Aside from the usual - great healthcare benefits, commuter benefits, flexible working schedule, untracked PTO, fun events, and free food - what sold me on Kabam was the people and the supportive learning/mentoring environment they create. It's a great place to learn a ton of new things and work on exciting projects with really smart people.

Cons

Open office seating means louder and more distractive environments, especially if there are social events going on. Also, the game industry is inherently volatile, so restructuring happens - it's just the nature of the industry.