Kaffe 1668 Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 26, 2018

3.6
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Best Restaurant Cafe"

I worked at Kaffe 1668 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impeccable management, personable and accommodating

Cons

Could be a pro, but you are pushed (legitimately) to do a great job.

Advice to Management

Great

2. "Poorly run cafe"

Pros

You meet a lot of great regulars, make a lot of money in tips. They serve good coffee and a lot of healthy meals. They also offer vegetarian options to almost every salad in their grab and go fridge.

Cons

The owner is the reason I left. He would come in the cafe every single day to watch us and complain. He is very cheap - he does not allow any employee to drink from paper/plastic cups (he would yell or curse at us for doing so) he once even asked why I was drinking coffee from another cafe (really?) he's very controlling. He will have everyone wash their hands again and again. Hell ask us if we washed our hands in front of customers. When you transition from register to bar you must wash your hands and if you make his drink he wants you to stop and wash your hands AGAIN. He watched the cameras 24/7 and will call the store to ask pointless questions. Once a barista spilled cafizza in the mocha power so of course we threw it away!!!! If you dropped any pastry he wanted us to save it and put it in a bag for him to confirm later.

Advice to Management

Think about what your mission is and what you want. Don't let managers hire people if you can't trust them later on. Most of us previously worked as baristas but never felt competent enough to work there. All of my interactions with the owner were negative. There are many communication issues and the turn over rate is too high (seven people quit in three months)

3. "Good company, intense but rewarding cafe job"

Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I worked at Kaffe 1668 full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Owners invest a lot in candidates who work hard for the company

Cons

Huge customer traffic makes the position much more demanding than a typical cafe. Owners have high expectations for customer service and cleanliness etc.