Kahala Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Corporate atmosphere"

Former Employee - Director of Warehouse Operations in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Director of Warehouse Operations in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Company had a family atmosphere for its employees and was passionate about all aspects of the business and its growth.

Cons

Due to growing pains employees were required to cover every area of expansion in addition to defined positions within the company. However, in the long run, this was a great learning experience

"A job, not a career"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Kahala full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job itself was easy
    Flexible schedule
    Gym in the building
    Lots of free food
    Decent coworkers

Cons

Every day was monotonous.
    Lack of clear direction from the top down - goals were never made clear, therefore performance reviews were not clear. It's hard to know if you're doing a good job when it's not clear what the job is.
    Often felt like they wanted you to turn lemons into lemonade, but the problem is they didn't even give you lemons to start with.
    They often hire from the outside instead of promoting from within so it's hard to move up in the company.

Advice to Management

Set very specific goals for the company and each of its brands, not just "how many brands can we acquire this year" and make those goals clear to their respective teams. Then hold all directors, managers and team members responsible for doing their best to achieve those goals. Also, employees need incentives. Make Kahala a fun place to work, not a prison where time moves backwards.

"Awesome!"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Kahala full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive Work Environment
    Upper Management cares and gives credit where credit is due
    Free ice cream (There's a Cold Stone built into the offices)
    Great Co-Workers
    Very supportive Team
    Great Work-Life Balance
    There's a GYM!
    Classy office

Cons

You have to show up to get a paycheck? I am not sure. I don't really have many cons. This has been my favorite job!

Advice to Management

Keep on keepin' on!

"Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Kahala (More than 10 years)

Pros

A well structured, yet laid back environment. Most employees take pride in the job that they perform.
    Flexible hours
    Open communication with upper management

Cons

The company throws good money to bring in outside talent, when they would be better off promoting from within.
    When promotions do occur management does not offer compensation that matches the community standards.
    Working long hours and being loyal does not translate monetarily

Advice to Management

Realize the talent that you have within the company and reward those who go over and above what is expected of them.

5. "Great teen job, being my first job i have a lot of fun experience."

Former Employee - Cashier, Drink Prep in Northridge, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier, Drink Prep in Northridge, CA

Pros

If you are a teen in school and want spare money by all means go for this job its great to have and fun to work with other employees. You will have lots of good memories.

Cons

If you stayed 20 minutes after you wouldnt get paid for that extra time, usually it would be because the customers would come right when closing so we had to stay and take their order.

Advice to Management

didnt really have a management other then our boss coming in during the morning to stock and open the store, few days when we were short on staff he would work but would leave when it wasnt as busy. My boss at the time trained me for a day and the rest i picked it up with my friends that worked there. Everyone got paid the same so everyone was equal.

6. "Worked there for 3 years"

I worked at Kahala full-time

Pros

Good community with free ice cream downstairs whenever you like.

Cons

Pay is decent but not a lot of room for promotion.

"A Tale of Two Kahala's"

I worked at Kahala full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You already know about the Cold Stone store on site. My 5-year career at Kahala started great. I worked with and for some very exceptional people. My particular department was well-run with dynamic leadership that I respected...but then that all changed. To the shock of many, Kahala refused to match an offer received by my department head (a promotion she accepted at another company, where she is now senior management). Their choice of replacement (moved someone internally from a different department) couldn't have been worse. And everything completely fell apart after that.

Cons

Kahala has been sold three times now in the past 6 years, with each new owner (from outside the US) getting worse and worse. In reality, due to all the good people jumping ship and not-so-good being forced to take positions they aren't equipped for, the Kahala who hired me no longer exists. Middle management is inept and I have to blame upper management for that. My new department head (see above) was so bad, she was eventually replaced...with someone even worse. This person was hired from outside the company (instead of promoting from within) and turns out to have no experience, talent or any business being in a management roll. As a result, turnover in that department was 115% in less than 2 years. Turnover company-wide is skyrocketing.

Advice to Management

Look at your department directors, look at the turnover in their departments and realize that people tend to quit mostly because of their immediate supervisor.

"A good company to work for."

Former Employee - Regional Director
    Former Employee - Regional Director

I worked at Kahala full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong family dynamic, with strong leadership

Cons

Lack of systems in place and lack of solid training

Advice to Management

Push to improve the company training program

9. "Still waiting for upper management to step up and show some leadership."

Former Employee - Franchisee

I worked at Kahala full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the individual brands have great potential for growth and success.

Cons

There does not seem to be a clear game plan to grow this company. If there's one, it is not shared with the employees working in the field or the franchisees.

Advice to Management

Get the field employees and franchisees into the loop as to what the company goals are and the plans to achieve them. Having a national meeting or even regional meetings would greatly improve communication and help boost moral.

10. "Cold"

Former Employee - Franchisee

Pros

Not much to say/ Nationwide. Great food franchise's.

Cons

Kahala does not care about evolving their restaurants. Their is no creativity. They only care about making as much money off of the franchisee as possible instead of bettering the product..

Advice to Management

Help the franchisee's more to better the product instead of making it harder on them by taking more money from them. ex: If it is cheaper for the franchisee to make fresh fries from potatoes, why make the restaurants use more expensive less tasting frozen fries?