Kahler Slater Reviews | Glassdoor

Kahler Slater Reviews

4.7
George Meyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Review from former employee"

I worked at Kahler Slater full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They support employees and encourage them to pursue their passions. There are many paths for advancement. The culture is open and collaborative. They work with their clients to realize their vision and their highest aspirations.

Cons

None. it is a great place to work!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

2. "Director of Business Development"

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Kahler Slater full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Kahler Slater for just over a year now and I love it. It is a very open culture with people who are down to earth, collaborative and very talented. The office atmosphere is fun and everyone is always willing to help you when you need it. Unlike other places I have worked, there is definately opportunity to advance in the company if you are willing to take on the responsibility.

Cons

I work remotely quite a bit, so I miss out on some of the office fun days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

3. "Intern 2"

I have been working at Kahler Slater full-time

Pros

A really good firm that is open to all to advance as they choose. Lots of opportunities if your willing to take them.

Cons

The bigger size of the firm makes it less nimble. This leads to sometimes a stagnant feel.

"CEO"

I have been working at Kahler Slater full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Kahler Slater has been recognized nationally for more than a decade as a Great Place to Work, that does kick butt (normally I say "asssss" yet this website didn't like that word) designs across the world, in a small firm atmosphere. We value expertise centered around your personal professional passions. We design experiences that achieve outstanding outcomes for our clients. We live our values; not just words on a website.

Cons

Not everyone likes to live in a city with snow. But for those that do enjoy four seasons Milwaukee is a wonderful city. Also, we have offices in Madison Wisconsin and Singapore.

Advice to Management

Keep attracting the best talent and know that they are the future of Kahler Slater.

5. "Work here!!!"

Pros

good benefits, working with all sorts of people, able to work from home if needed, everyone in the company truly wants to achieve the companies goals, recognition within the company for personal achievements, positive working environment.

Cons

Location- milwaukee can get cold, sometimes difficult to find parking nearby

Advice to Management

honestly no complaints, all employees are treated very well and valued by their teams and everyone else within the company.

6. "Top heavy management who really like to start "initiatives" but everything trickles off and dies without completion."

Former Employee - Project Architect in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Project Architect in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Really nice professional atmosphere with a good level of respect. Lots of decent people work there. The atmosphere of sharing, especially when you face challenges, is great. Very supportive teams..

Cons

All the effort is spent to get proejcts, and then the support trickles away as you struggle to compelte them understaffed, and with oppressive deadlines. The abse work week is 45 hours billable, and the typical work week is 50 or 60 hours. People are booked at 115% workload on a regular basis. Constanst churn among teams as they pull people off and throw them on projects at inopertune times, without discussion with teh team. SO much wasted effort and energy.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the 45 hour work week. Every study shows that people can only perform at this level for a few months at best. Efficiency goes down and you only get 40 horus of work for 45 hours of effort. The staffing structure is highly inefficient with way too many managers and way too few interns and producers. Penny wise, pound foolish decisions. And get people decent training on the software. No one knows how to use anything, and the few that do have tp squeeze helping others into their own work day, and then get penalized for non-billable time.

"Great place to work? Overall, its pretty good considering its primarily an architecture firm"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

The core design process is thoughtful and scales well to the diverse design projects within the firm. Workplace culture is a high priority. The flat organization is evident in the shared team and firm leadership. All staff members have a voice and are encouraged to follow their passions.

Cons

Having a flat organization cuts both ways. That "follwing your passions" comment in the pros section means that you often have many poeple heading in many different directions.

Egos play a quiet, but substantial role in the firm.

Advice to Management

It amazes me the amount of talented and respected people that have worked for the firm over the years. I hope that it is more a testament to the firm’s ability to develop and nurture talent - then set it free. Or it could be that the best outgrow it in short time?